Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 39,346 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a house in Spencer Plantation but now we are a bit worried about the neighborhood. We are seeing the demographics skew more and more towards the african american community and we are worried. what are anyone's thoughts and opinions about the area?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
I am not a big fan of the Argyle area because the traffic is a mess. You can't keep building houses without doing something about the road situation.
I am not familiar with Spencer Plantation but they have put up so many new subs in the pat year it is hard to keep up.
There is a great pizza place in the Arglye shopping center - Renna's
I think you are going to find a mix everywhere in the Jax area, our neighborhood is very diverse.
I am not sure exactly what you are asking but as long as my neighbors keep there houses and lawns in good shape and are don't blast their radios all night I don't have a problem with what race they are.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,014 times
What are you worried about? Having black neighbors? Why does that seem to worry you so much? Do you worry about any other race? All races have murderers, serial killers, child molesters, drug abuse etc...........

Would you rather have a white neighbor that is a child molester just so you wouldn't have to live next door to a black person? Believe it or not black people want to live in a nice neighborhood just like you and raise their family.

Jacksonville is very diverse. With the military population it will always be this way. Nobody can escape crime no matter where you live. The Argyle area is very diverse I don't see how you couldn't see that before you bought your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoj View Post
We recently bought a house in Spencer Plantation but now we are a bit worried about the neighborhood. We are seeing the demographics skew more and more towards the african american community and we are worried. what are anyone's thoughts and opinions about the area?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 24,635 times
Good reply Lyla ... thank you. Obviously, that person is small-minded because she worried about her neighborhood becoming "skewed" with more (african american) residents - oh well, too bad! Lyla you're absolutely correct. (That) kind of thinking just keeps racial tensions high, it's sad and stupid. News Flash! - Crime & Danger comes from ALL colors, races and cultures ... look at the recent child kidnapping cases (all weird non-minority guys). IMHO people who think like (this person) should move to the "woods" and not reside in urban areas with civilized folks! How about the fact that her "ethnic" neighbors might not want to live next to her either?! Evil knows no color. One of her neighbors just might help her in a time of need someday. Peace.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM

75 posts, read 290,503 times
That's really sad, Etoj you should move. The sad reality is nothing happened in your community to make you feel this way. Regardless of color, if you were to notice crime escalating and the school's ranking declining, then I would agree that you should move - not because of color.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM

26 posts, read 145,501 times
I AGREE!! Color doesnt matter. Its the quality of people that matters. I've had plenty of neighbors in my life that have been plenty of colors, they have been great. And I've had some, white, black, brown, (and even one who looked a little pink) that were terrible neighbors. Its not the color. Its the person that counts!! But hey, if your that uncomfortable you should move to somewhere else, probably somewhere that you don't really have neighbors.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM

10 posts, read 39,346 times
First of all, I would really like to apologize for my very offensive question (about color etc etc). All your comments I have taken constructively and I know that I was out of line asking that kind of question. However, it was an honest question, and i really didn't mean for it sound so racial, even if it was. So, once again, my apologies for making such small minded comments / or asking small minded question. thanks for not being too unkind in responding to my comment.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,248 times
I have sold a listing in Spencer Plantation. The area is not a high crime area and the price of homes are modest which tends to attract our military and other first time home buyers. There does appear to be a larger population of African Americans in this community and as others have suggested, if you think you would be more comfortable in a more racially equal community you may want to consider moving. Give the real estate market at least another 6 months to improve first.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM

17 posts, read 61,318 times
What bothered me about the demographics of Spencer Plantation wasn't the color of the residents but the number of lesser maintained homes.

We looked there after our relocation to JAX last fall and decided against it. There were a few in foreclosure or empty and the yards looked trashy. People were doing resales trying to compete with the builder already there.

I don't mind the color of my neighbors, but I do care about the color of their money and their ability to hold onto a house that some huckster mortgage broker scammed them into (when they could have afforded a possibly better loan).

On the whole I like the argyle area. I'm just down the road in Eagle Landing. I've lived in LA and Chicago and find the traffic very easy. Diversity of people is a good thing. In some ways, I think its a sign of a very healthy community.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,560 times
Default Relocating To Jacksonville Neighborhood ?

We will be relocating to the Jacksonville area later this year & will be visiting in a few weeks to check out the neighborhoods. We are really looking for new construction & in an area with a good elementry school. My husband will be working at Cecil Field & just wanted to see if anyone had any input or some areas or neighborhoods we could check out when we visit next month. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know or happen to know where I could find a list of all the new neighborhoods or new construction? Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville