Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Social loop access in Jacksonville, St. Augustine Florida area, Starbucks, join social clubs, children’s activities that involve parents, United Way, Metro Jacksonville, sports and entertainment news

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM

134 posts, read 439,840 times

Advertisements

Hi,
HParr is my screen name not my real name (Helen Parr was the mom (Elastigirl) in Disney's "The Incredibles" Movie.) I'm new to the Jax/St. Aug. area and I would love to get into the mix of people that are trying to make a difference here. Or the people that are enjoying life, involved in everything, and are having fun.

Where are some good places to go to meet these people?
What are some good things that I could do to get to meet these people?

This is the first time that I haven't had to be working full or part time, I have time to do what I can do to make a difference, I am trying to learn what about myself it is that I have to offer or contribute personally by trying out some different things.

I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM

859 posts, read 3,618,843 times
besides starbucks? join some social clubs in the community. in your other thread you mention you have kids, enroll them in activities and stuff so you can network with other parents.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,758 times
Volunteer. That is how I met my first group of friends. Call the United Way, and ask to set up for a cause that is near to your heart. They will get you in touch with a coordinator for a volunteer event... that way you can meet people interested in the same things as you. It really branches off from there. You know, you get invites to other parties and social functions, plus you're making a difference in the community at the same time. I work with Equality Florida & RESPECT ( Equality Florida )... if you're interested. Hope that helps!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Before they're gone, I would try to grab a copy of the June issue of Buzz Entertainment Magazine. They're free and you can find them in the same places you find a Folio - try any pizza or sandwich joint or your local library.

The June issue of Buzz has a special feature called: Members Only, The Scoop on Jacksonville's Organizations. It's not comprehensive, but the article would give you a good idea of some of the groups around.

Grab a Folio while you're at it, that will keep you up to date on some of the city's pressing issues (and Folio gives good coverage on our environmental issues - the new issue covers the beach erosion I was speaking of in another thread recently).

Metrojacksonville is another good source of information:

Metro Jacksonville - Home

As is the online version of the TimesUnion:

Jacksonville News, Sports and Entertainment from Jacksonville.com

Of course, there are meetup groups and some of them will be focused on civil issues or environmental issues:

Meetups near Jacksonville, FL - Meetup.com

If you're in Jacksonville and want to do something about crime in our city, consider joining your local ShadCo:

Sheriff's Advisory Councils (ShAdCos)

The Riverkeepers are doing some very important work:

St. Johns Riverkeeper

Others that need help are groups focused on the manatee, sea turtles, and we also have a big population of homeless pets in Jacksonville, so there are groups focused on that.

What interests you? Where do you want to focus your energy to effect change?

Last edited by riveree; 06-25-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
Join a Southern Baptist Church.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 AM

870 posts, read 2,180,677 times
You can become an involved member of the PTSA at your children's school.
I also find that if you are a member of a church (and join a small discussion group), you can meet many people.
Also you can volunteer with local organizations. I was on the planning committee for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society) and met people on the committee.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
besides starbucks? join some social clubs in the community. in your other thread you mention you have kids, enroll them in activities and stuff so you can network with other parents.
Thanks travelingfood!
As soon as I figure out where we are going to buy a house at and know the exact area that we are going to live in then I am planning on getting my son into sports there. (We are staying in a condo right now on a temporary basis, while I figure out where we are going to buy a house at.) I hear that Julington Creek has a pretty good Soccer Association. Although he has recently told me that he might want to learn how to surf instead and that makes me a nervous wreck especially when I saw in the news the other day that someone was bit by a shark in 4 feet of water near Fernandino Beach! (Did I spell that right?!) Oh Lord, I would flip out if he got bit by a shark! He's only 9!!! Do you have any suggestions or words of encouragement to help me get over my fear about the surfing thing?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Volunteer. That is how I met my first group of friends. Call the United Way, and ask to set up for a cause that is near to your heart. They will get you in touch with a coordinator for a volunteer event... that way you can meet people interested in the same things as you. It really branches off from there. You know, you get invites to other parties and social functions, plus you're making a difference in the community at the same time. I work with Equality Florida & RESPECT ( Equality Florida )... if you're interested. Hope that helps!
Thanks gradco2004, Great suggestion, I will look into this.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Before they're gone, I would try to grab a copy of the June issue of Buzz Entertainment Magazine. They're free and you can find them in the same places you find a Folio - try any pizza or sandwich joint or your local library.

The June issue of Buzz has a special feature called: Members Only, The Scoop on Jacksonville's Organizations. It's not comprehensive, but the article would give you a good idea of some of the groups around.

Grab a Folio while you're at it, that will keep you up to date on some of the city's pressing issues (and Folio gives good coverage on our environmental issues - the new issue covers the beach erosion I was speaking of in another thread recently).

Metrojacksonville is another good source of information:

Metro Jacksonville - Home

As is the online version of the TimesUnion:

Jacksonville News, Sports and Entertainment from Jacksonville.com

Of course, there are meetup groups and some of them will be focused on civil issues or environmental issues:

Meetups near Jacksonville, FL - Meetup.com

If you're in Jacksonville and want to do something about crime in our city, consider joining your local ShadCo:

Sheriff's Advisory Councils (ShAdCos)

The Riverkeepers are doing some very important work:

St. Johns Riverkeeper

Others that need help are groups focused on the manatee, sea turtles, and we also have a big population of homeless pets in Jacksonville, so there are groups focused on that.

What interests you? Where do you want to focus your energy to effect change?
Gosh Riveree, as usual you blow me away with your resourcefullness! I am going to check into all of the things that you have suggested, surely I will find something, I can't hardly wait! Thank you!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
You can become an involved member of the PTSA at your children's school.
I also find that if you are a member of a church (and join a small discussion group), you can meet many people.
Also you can volunteer with local organizations. I was on the planning committee for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society) and met people on the committee.
Thanks JagFan27, as soon as I figure out what schools that my kids will be attending I will definitely be joining their PTA's. I am getting such good info from everyone that I will be checking out the local organizations, I just didn't know where to start but I have received some great leads with this posting, so I am getting excited already. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville