Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
I think the radio stations are the pitts. I miss the HOG that I used to get in Palm Coast. I think they were out of Daytona.

I just moved to Southside and I'm loving it. We're all just hoping Town Center will spur some night life around here.

I've always said North FL is really South GA. I think many of the locals crossed the state line back when....

Jax doesn't make me feel like I'm in FL at all. But I know I am and that the beach is a short drive so I console myself with that thought.

Look around at Orlando, Daytona, Tampa. They've gone downhill with many areas turning into ghettos. I call it the city, ya know? I've lived in them all and seen it.

I must say though when looking around for a place to live here I was shocked by many areas that I drove into. I kept thinking surely I would find the decent areas...I ended up renting an apt. I can see finding a decent 'hood here is going to take some time.

Boils down to accept it or move on, ya know?
Totally. I live in Miami right now and it has its share of ups and downs. I like the 'ups' a lot more than I dislike the 'downs'. I am familiar with the Mandarin area of Jacksonville, and that was pretty nice if you strive to be an average Joe. It's just a boring part of Florida I guess. People complain about northern 'rust belt' cities all the time. Jacksonville is very imilar to one of these rust belt cities even though it is in the deep South; a dead downtown, sprawling suburbs for both rich and poor... no glitz or glamour whatsoever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:54 PM

159 posts, read 656,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Totally. I live in Miami right now and it has its share of ups and downs. I like the 'ups' a lot more than I dislike the 'downs'. I am familiar with the Mandarin area of Jacksonville, and that was pretty nice if you strive to be an average Joe. It's just a boring part of Florida I guess. People complain about northern 'rust belt' cities all the time. Jacksonville is very imilar to one of these rust belt cities even though it is in the deep South; a dead downtown, sprawling suburbs for both rich and poor... no glitz or glamour whatsoever...
Hey Bear. Yeah, I can see Jax being seen as a Rust Belt kind of city. There is just no zoning here! Like a lot of cities there are urban pioneers buying up the decaying old formerly nice homes in the bad parts of downtown, revitalizing and slowly reclaiming downtown. Far as I know they are just beginning and my hat is off to those brave souls! If it's anything like Atlanta they carve out an island for themselves in the heart of the city thinking they are safe there. I hope they are. Savannah, GA pioneers did that and I hear they finally took downtown back over and revitalized it. I think I recall the city govt was involved in offering incentives of some sort (the city couldn't get it under control, is my guess). I believe it took many years.

Miami, huh? Are you telling me there is an actual American left there? I thought the last one out brought the flag a few years ago. If not, please bring it when you break out! (Actually I am jealous you are so close to the Keys!)

Old 10-04-2008, 04:34 PM

173 posts, read 522,025 times
LandShark, celebration church is a great church to go to. Home | Celebration Church, it's on deerwood park blvd. They also have a singles group. Great church, God Bless.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,716 times
I just joined this site. Has quite a bit to offer it looks like. As with many on this thread, I have been down here for four years, tried some of the internet sites, and most are garbage. Even tried E-harmony, found someone who took advantage of me there too.

So, I think part of it is the people who live in the area. Another part, is that it is so family orientated. Anyway, I am going to look into heading up to Crossroads. Have been looking for a church and this looks it might be something for me.

If there are any singles groups around, I would like to hear about them.

Thanks,
pcpilot128

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM

159 posts, read 656,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcpilot128 View Post
I just joined this site. Has quite a bit to offer it looks like. As with many on this thread, I have been down here for four years, tried some of the internet sites, and most are garbage. Even tried E-harmony, found someone who took advantage of me there too.

So, I think part of it is the people who live in the area. Another part, is that it is so family orientated. Anyway, I am going to look into heading up to Crossroads. Have been looking for a church and this looks it might be something for me.

If there are any singles groups around, I would like to hear about them.

Thanks,
pcpilot128
Sure there are! I found them on Meetup.com. Do a search for "Singles" (in Jax) and it will pull up similar groups. Notice that. One I found was listed as "private" so it doesn't pull up in search but will show up in "similiar groups" off the side of the screen. There is one called the Happy Hour Club, The Vino Club, it goes on and on. I joined the private one among others and found they are a really nice group of real people with a large span in ages yet they all get along beautifully. How refreshing to meet sane people, unlike the dating sites (yepper, I know what you are talking about there - the pyscho/loser sites - pick one!).

These groups have all kinds of events regularly so most any week you can find an event to go to. Great to get out to different places and meet new people all the time.

Let me know how it goes and maybe we'll actually meet at one of the events!

LandShark99

Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroQuest View Post
i'm not suprised. jax had to get recognition somehow right? hey, atleast it didnt get these honors of other florida cities:

america's worst drivers - miami
worst road rage - miami
america's angriest city - orlando
america's 2nd angriest city - tampa
4th longest commute in america - orlando

I heard that!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Big mean bear, Miami has very little glitz and glamour too.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
Default singles groups in jax

Try meetup.com
They have a bunch of meet up groups for singles in Jacksonville!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
Read it and weep:
Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com

The Best Cities For Singles (#1- #40)

(#1) Atlanta
San Francisco
Dallas
Minneapolis
Washington D.C.
Seattle
Boston
New York City
Orlando
Phoenix
Chicago
Denver-Aurora
Miami
Austin
San Antonio
Los Angeles
Houston
Charlotte
San Diego
St. Louis
Columbus
Philadelphia
Tampa-St. Petersburg
Las Vegas
Baltimore
Virginia Beach-Norfolk
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Portland
Buffalo
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Cincinnati
Memphis
Providence
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Cleveland
Salt Lake City
#40. Jacksonville

Special Report
The Best Cities For Singles
Michael Noer, 09.04.08, 6:00 PM ET

For the first time ever, Atlanta tops our list of the best cities for singles. The capital of Georgia and home of Coca-Cola earns the top slot because of its hopping nightlife, relatively high number of singles and sizzling job growth.........
Moderator cut: The needle just came off the record zzzzzzzhhhhhp

Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodylookingtomove View Post
We're out ranked by Kansas City AND Milwaukee?????????

That's it, now I'm really moving!!
This is an interesting read....You will be surprised many are envious of the great Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville