Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM

31 posts, read 252,164 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating to Florida in the next 2 years or so. Trying to get a feel for the area so we have a "plan" in action. We will definitely fly down at some point to see the area in person, but would like to get a "feel" for the different areas from locals. We are familiar with Orlando and southern FL but not with NE Florida.

Tired of the cold/long/crappy winters in Chicago. Have lived here all our lives but ready for a change. We live in the northern 'burbs of Chicago and like the area but we've "seen it all" as they say. We need some new surrounding. The housing prices are out of control and we're just tired of the area. My husband works in schools and does consulting so he can basically work anywhere. Our parents are getting older, their health isn't so great - heck, I've had my share of health problems myself lately, so being somewhere with milder weather (warmer) would definitely be nice.

I read one of the city-data forums where someone jokingly mentioned there are different areas of Florida (Chicago-FL, New York-FL, Havana-FL, etc). I'm sure there is some truth to that, though! It just depends what you are looking for, I guess?

We live in a town of about 25,000 now. All of the towns are very close together, one after the other, so it's not liking you're driving from farm town to farm town with miles of land in between. We like that - because there is a lot to do, and you don't feel so isolated.

What areas of Florida are like that? With decent shopping, culture, restaurants, schools and business. Is it too much to ask to have an Ann Taylor Loft or a PF Changs (ha ha) around the corner, as well as the local restaurants and shoppes? Low on crime, with parks for biking etc? Something with a mainstreet or "downtown" where they have a farmer's market and you can meet up with friends?

I realize there is no utopia, no matter where you go - but to find a town in Florida that offers as close to those offerings as we can get and we'll be happy.

Now, weather -- we're thinking somewhere in central-Northern Florida. I'm liking the St Augustine area so far, but not "seeing" it myself, it's hard to get a feel for the area. Is it all highway driving to get anywhere and is Jacksonville as crime-ridden as people say?

Our different family members are all in different price ranges, when it comes to home buying, so an area with all offerings would be great. My parents would probably end up in a 55+ community which I think they would love.

How is the weather in the winter/summer near St Aug? I don't mind 50-60 degrees in the winter. It's the subzero temps, snow-blowing and ice we're trying to get away from. I hear hurricanes are less likely up in that area (direct-hit) but in Florida you are always taking a chance.

Need somewhere with good healthcare (hospitals/doctors), some holistic/alternative health offerings nearby. I realize the mayo clinic is in Jacksonville which is a huge plus.

If my sister and her family joined us (her husband works in healthcare field - sales/marketing) what is available in terms of jobs/industry in the area?

If there are other areas/towns in FL that more or less fit the bill, please let me know. Too much to ask - yes, I'm sure. But any info or advice you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks!! I can feel the FL sunshine already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
Your comprehensive post is a good thing. Too many people don't include enough information.

- The weather is right up your alley. Nightime lows are sometimes below freezing, but generally speaking the winters are quite mild. However, besure you are prepared for the humidity. A 90 degree day in Florida feels way worse than a 90 degree day in Illinois.
- North Florida actually doesn't have as many 55+ communities as you might think. Options are somewhat limited compared to South Florida.
- No, Jacksonville's crime situation isn't nearly as bad as the complainers make it out to be. There are a couple extremely bad neighborhoods which drag down the statistics, and the rest is fine.
- You can absolutely live a low density lifestyle in Jax, yet still be close to major ammenities. Much to my chagrin (since I love urban living) Jax is basically one giant small town all stitched together. However, you won't really find a small town mainstreet vibe around here, so that's a negative for you. It's all very suburban. Central Florida is even worse in my opinion. It's all sprawl, not small town mainstreets.

Good call with St Augustine. It's probably one of your best bet's for the feel you are looking for, however it is very touristy, and also subject to the same sprawl as Jax. Don't overlook Jax itself on your visit, as you'll never know exactly what's out there until you drive around.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I agree with Joe's post. Also, I've been in Evanston since 2007 as a grad student at Northwestern.

I'll add that Jax generally gets less hurricane disruptions than cities south of us. The heat is pretty bad in the summer, but I don't think it can compare to the discomfort of winters up here. Mainly cause I drive everywhere in Jax and am not exposed to the elements as much as I am up here.

I don't know about holistic and alternative medicine, but the medical field is definitely very strong in Jax.

My guess is that you could find the kind of neighborhood/community vibe you are looking for in a number of suburban towns around the state (even in Jax). So if you can decide what big city you want to be close to first, that would help.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
I would recommend St. Augustine.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Thank you ALL for your replies!

Projectmaximus - I know Evanston well - we visit a lot of the restaurants often and of course Northwestern is one of the best schools around! Great town! More our speed than Chicago, really.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lake Mary, FL - but really haven't found much info about it yet. Any advice on that area? Did I ask that already?!

We just started looking, so we definitely are looking at the big cities in FL first and then trying to find a suburb of it. Never been out of Chicago so this will be a big undertaking but we're ready!

Thanks again...St Aug really looks like the way to go, though...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid1 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about Lake Mary, FL - but really haven't found much info about it yet. Any advice on that area? Did I ask that already?!
Lake Mary is a great town. I would also recommend Oviedo and Winter Springs. In the Orlando area try to stick to Seminole County.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM

238 posts, read 782,470 times
I do think St. Augustine is a very "charming" town, especially the downtown area which is very historical.

However, St. Augustine seriously lacks many amenities (shopping, modern dining, etc.) IMO the charm fades as you live there due to the major tourism and lack of non touristy things to do.

I lived there for 3 1/2 years before coming to Jax... so that's my experience. I do think that people looking for a laid back, historical, southern, small-town (and don't mind having to drive 45min-1hr for entertainment) St. Auggie is perfect.

If I was you I would look at some of the different neighborhoods in Jacksonville and Jax beach if you are considering the NE Fl area. Of course visiting is best way to get the "feel" of a place

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Which parts of Jacksonville do you recommend? Near shopping, etc. Any nice neighborhoods in particular. For St Aug, too? Where can I find a good "map" of Jacksonville - not just the touristy areas but of the neighborhoods, etc?

I really want to find a nice neighborhood close to things, but with a 55+ community nearby (within 5-10 minutes) for my parents.

Thanks!!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM

We have some nice maps of the different neighborhoods of Jax, and descriptive information on the "sticky thread" (first or second thread) on this jacksonville forum.

I recommend Jacksonville Beach/neptune beach, san marco, riverside, parts of mandarin.

Im not familiar with the 55+ communities but I am sure there are some in those neighborhoods.

also I will post the thinks to neighborhoods with pictures in second (its posted on another thread)- hope this helps

Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM

I postd this on another thread but thought it could help you as well -

Here are some links with pictures to some of the more "urban" neighborhoods in jax from metrojacksonville.com. Each neighborhood listed has its own vibe.

Riverside, San Marco, Riverwalk, Springfield, etc...

Metro Jacksonville - A Walk through Park & King

Metro Jacksonville - San Marco: A Walking Oasis in an Unwalkable City

Metro Jacksonville - A Springfield Photo Tour

Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: The Cathedral District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville