Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

With Profession Under Stress, Law Schools Cut Admissions - WSJ.com

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 21,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeMel View Post
I was recently accepted to Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville.
It seems like a pretty good school that's located in an awesome city.

However, I've been doing some research on law student message boards, and I keep reading that the law school is not well respected in Florida at all...not even in Jacksonville.
Some people claim that it's difficult for Florida Coastal grads to find jobs in Jacksonville, because all the jobs go to the University of Florida and Florida State grads instead.

As residents of Jacksonville, I would like your take on the law school. Does it really have a bad rep in Jacksonville? Do you know of any successful lawyers within Jacksonville that graduated from Florida Coastal? How about the area the school is located in? Is it a good area? I do plan to research some more and visit the campus, but I would really love to hear what you all have to say!

Thank you!
I don't know why anyone would consider a school with a very low employment/success rate. They should have stats on their grads, like the major colleges do. FSU and UF will be worth the money since they also offer internship opportunities... Especially FSU - you have the opportunity to work in the state legislature and make some awesome contacts for your future... I can't imagine paying for a school, or getting in debt, and then, ultimately, finding yourself unable to find a job to pay off that debt. Scary.

What I know of the school - it was created for people who have full time jobs and want to go to law school... This is bad in theory. Most major law schools forbid working the first two years of law school. The reason being is the work load. Law school is an intense program and not made for the weak of heart and mind. Forget about having a life - unless you are okay with skimming by. And like it or not, a mediocre school = a mediocre job. Law school is all about being at the top of your class. You will start with hundreds of students in your class, and end, maybe, with 50. Many people drop out and never complete law school because, like I said, it's not made for the weak.

In the end, if you are weak of heart and mind, then go to this jacksonville school... But if you are a dedicated student who appreciates a challenge - like any lawyer should - then you should enter an intense program of study so you can be the best at your craft and land your dream job - otherwise - why attend law school?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM

40 posts, read 70,948 times
Tea76,

You stated, “They should have stats on their grads, like the major colleges do. FSU and UF will be worth the money since they also offer internship opportunities... “

Well, the law schools do have stats…And that is the crux of the problem. The stats are cooked, spun, and sliced to paint a false picture of the likelihood of success for law grads. This practice is engaged in at all tiers of the law school world. It is not just reserved for the for profit fourth tier schools. They do this to keep the law school lemmings coming and use the easy flowing student loan dollars like gasoline to get the cash cow engine running.

They collectively have done this for years and were able to keep the truth from the mainstream. Those days are over, as they have now created such an untenable situation for these law grads that the lid has blown off.

Having said that, many are still unaware of the truth. As a result, the lemmings are still lining up to attend law school not realizing the dire reality that awaits them.

In defense of FCSL……I have friends who attended their program. They all say it was not easy and overall they are happy with their legal educations. It is not for the weak of mind or heart. Their problem is the money that they borrowed to get that legal education verses the ACTUAL VALUE of it in the REAL WORLD. Which at this point, due to the massive glut of attorneys nationwide, is of very little. My lawyer friends tell me that those who have graduated in the last 3 years are considered lucky if they have a law job at all that pays over 40k a year. Newsflash, an assistant manager at McDonalds with a GED earns 40k a year. Do you see the disparity?

My problem with these recent law grads, including those who visit and post on this blog, is the lack of action on their part to unite and get the message out to others thinking about law school. Instead they chose to do nothing and retreat into the shadows and complain. Each man for themselves I guess. The exception being the select few who have stepped up to the plate through litigation and are taking a shot at changing the system. Even if their law suits ultimately fail, their efforts have already caused positive change as now law schools are now more accurately reporting their stats.

Read below another article from many which states that the law schools have created a large class and a whole generation of highly educated young people who have nothing that they can do that really justifies either the cost or the effort they have put into in acquiring higher education.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/campos_indentured_servants_law_school_crisis_sympt om_economy/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign= weekly_email

Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 AM

And the hits just keep rolling in…..

At least Fox news is doing their part to get the message out about the law school swindle.

Check out the article below entitled “Five graduate degrees that don’t pay off”…..look at number 4 on the list…..

Five Graduate Degrees That Don't Pay Off | Fox Business

Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon910 View Post
And the hits just keep rolling in…..

At least Fox news is doing their part to get the message out about the law school swindle.

Check out the article below entitled “Five graduate degrees that don’t pay off”…..look at number 4 on the list…..

Five Graduate Degrees That Don't Pay Off | Fox Business
Well, first off, thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

Somewhat off topic, but I'm surprised about the computer engineering masters being not worth it. I know that masters CE grads from Stanford are making substantially more than just a BS, plus a masters will get you a teaching position at a community college whereas a BS won't (in most cases). Maybe the college has a lot to do with it.

Also, why the photo of a high school diploma to go along with the story?

Now, back on topic, no surprise about the fourth-tier law schools, that's for sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM

219 posts, read 510,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I know that masters CE grads from Stanford are making substantially more than just a BS, plus a masters will get you a teaching position at a community college whereas a BS won't (in most cases).
CS is far more experience based than education based. When we interview a graduate degree, especially just a master's, plays very little factor. In fact we have at least three (in our group of about 10 in a company of 40,000) that don't even have the BS; one of which is exceptionally talented and makes a lot more than he would reaching community college.

If you're good at CS and want to expand your career farther or faster than pure skill will take you, MBA or broadening certs (PMP, ITIL, etc) would be what I suggest.

Of course ivy league degrees will be a different story. Heck, an art masters from Harvard probably out-earns most BSes.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
CS is far more experience based than education based. When we interview a graduate degree, especially just a master's, plays very little factor. In fact we have at least three (in our group of about 10 in a company of 40,000) that don't even have the BS; one of which is exceptionally talented and makes a lot more than he would reaching community college.

If you're good at CS and want to expand your career farther or faster than pure skill will take you, MBA or broadening certs (PMP, ITIL, etc) would be what I suggest.

Of course ivy league degrees will be a different story. Heck, an art masters from Harvard probably out-earns most BSes.
I assume you are discussing "Computer Science" grads, right? Computer Engineering is a much different animal. It is on the same level as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. In fact, the difference between EE and CE has narrowed so much that the engineering job descriptions often call for either one, but no way would a computer science grad be qualified.

My wife has a CS degree and she would agree with you that getting a masters in computer science is a waste of time.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM

219 posts, read 510,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I assume you are discussing "Computer Science" grads, right? Computer Engineering is a much different animal. It is on the same level as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. In fact, the difference between EE and CE has narrowed so much that the engineering job descriptions often call for either one, but no way would a computer science grad be qualified.

My wife has a CS degree and she would agree with you that getting a masters in computer science is a waste of time.
You know the difference and I know the difference but the article specifically and solely talks about software developers and programmers which are CS areas.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
You know the difference and I know the difference but the article specifically and solely talks about software developers and programmers which are CS areas.
Agreed. The writer was mixing up her job descriptions.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:32 AM

Seems you law grads would have been better served obtaining a Masters in Art. And you would have borrowed a lot less money.

According to a survey, someone holding a Masters in Art is 86% likely to be employed. In contrast, a law grad is only 55% likely to be employed in a law-related field, as indicated in a law grads employment survey.

Turns Out An Art Degree is a Better Career Move Than Law School - Career Paths - Greedy Associates

By luring you guys in with those false and misleading employment and salary numbers, the law schools really pulled a nasty number on you.

Yet, like victims of domestic violence (I am not making light of DV victims), you law grads just go away quietly and don’t report it. Or if the cops do happen to show up because the neighbors called, you tell the police “Oh, I bumped my head on the door frame”.

I say again to your law recent law grads, where is the anger? Where are the protests? Some of you have been financially destroyed…..yet nothing….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville