Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:09 PM

31 posts, read 130,773 times

Advertisements

I was really disappointed with the downtown. I moved here from Western Colorado after a lot of research and thought, and have been here a week now. Please don't get defensive, there are things that we all don't like. I didn't like the downtown. I went on a Saturday drive and it (downtown) was just dead. It had no spark, no vibe, no nuttin. I sure haven't seen all of Jax yet, but have seen quite a bit for only being here a week. I loved San Marco (all that it was advertised to be). The beaches are excellent, and I am quite sure I will spend a lot more time at Fernandina beach as well as Little Talbot SP and Heugenot. The north side was rough looking but had lots of character and neat restaurants. It has vibe ( a vibe which i will not be there to appreciate after dark-tyvm. Orange park is cool and I rented a place for now on Fleming Island. I love the closeness to the freeway and the schools. But downtown, less than "meh". Now to be fair, it was only a drive through, and I plan to go back, but.....Am I missing something?? All and all, I sure like the town and cant wait for the kids and the missus to get here. BTW, I was informed that college ball was king here and that I needed to pick a school. So Go GATORS (unless they play CSU, CU or Air Force of course.)
I have trout fished all my life and am excited to learn about fishing for bucketmouths, crappies, and saltwater fishing. I fished off the pier once and got zilch, but did learn about sting rays (not the hard way thank goodness). (BTW i was told when I buy scallops that often as not, it's sting ray. No kidding? I guess I like to eat stingray.
One last thing is that we came to Florida for the Ocean and beaches, but I just LOVVVE the river!!!

Last edited by cmcray1; 05-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,336 times
Yup. Jax has one of the most dead downtowns in America for a city of its size. Probably one of the highest rates of surface parking lots too. It's a real shame.

One could write volumes of books about the decline of downtown Jax. There are far too many issues to explore. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The upshot is that Jax doesn't suffer from a particularly bad downtown - just an empty one. There's very little crime, decent infrastructure, and loads of redevelopment potential.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcray1 View Post
I was really disappointed with the downtown. I moved here from Western Colorado after a lot of research and thought, and have been here a week now. Please don't get defensive, there are things that we all don't like. I didn't like the downtown. I went on a Saturday drive and it (downtown) was just dead. It had no spark, no vibe, no nuttin. I sure haven't seen all of Jax yet, but have seen quite a bit for only being here a week. I loved San Marco (all that it was advertised to be). The beaches are excellent, and I am quite sure I will spend a lot more time at Fernandina beach as well as Little Talbot SP and Heugenot. The north side was rough looking but had lots of character and neat restaurants. It has vibe ( a vibe which i will not be there to appreciate after dark-tyvm. Orange park is cool and I rented a place for now on Fleming Island. I love the closeness to the freeway and the schools. But downtown, less than "meh". Now to be fair, it was only a drive through, and I plan to go back, but.....Am I missing something?? All and all, I sure like the town and cant wait for the kids and the missus to get here. BTW, I was informed that college ball was king here and that I needed to pick a school. So Go GATORS (unless they play CSU, CU or Air Force of course.)
I have trout fished all my life and am excited to learn about fishing for bucketmouths, crappies, and saltwater fishing. I fished off the pier once and got zilch, but did learn about sting rays (not the hard way thank goodness). (BTW i was told when I buy scallops that often as not, it's sting ray. No kidding? I guess I like to eat stingray.
One last thing is that we came to Florida for the Ocean and beaches, but I just LOVVVE the river!!!
Yeah, I tried to move down there but there were no people ...after work or before even siting in the park except some random guys wandering aimlessly. Seems like just corporate business from what I saw watching during morning hours till about 9. I really wanted to be on that side so I could walk to work. Hopefully they'll get it together with attracting residents in the future.

A good start would be LIGHTING in that park and having events OUTSIDE THERE and getting people to stay after work. Then opening some place to eat or get cofffee LOL the only thing opened when I went betw 6 and 10 was a lone pizza store. (other than the Landing).

Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Am I missing something??
Nope. I think you pretty much nailed everything in your entire assessment.

Downtown Jax once upon a time was a thriving and bustling commercial and industrial center...long before I was born. I think it hit bottom last decade and has been taking baby steps in the right direction since. Had the economy/real estate not tanked it actually would be very different right now. C'est la vie. Overall, things will continue to improve very slowly I believe. But it's a shame to think of all the amazing infill and/or skyscraper projects that have been cancelled the last few years.

BTW, welcome and go Gators!

Old 05-16-2009, 04:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Nope. I think you pretty much nailed everything in your entire assessment.

Downtown Jax once upon a time was a thriving and bustling commercial and industrial center...long before I was born. I think it hit bottom last decade and has been taking baby steps in the right direction since. Had the economy/real estate not tanked it actually would be very different right now. !
That's what a woman I met about a rental in San Marco told me. She and her husband moved to Jax in 2000 and were watching the planning and anticipating the growth but it got stuck with the economy according to her.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,335 times
Quote:
I am glad you like it here and hope you did not move here for "Downtown" life.

Not to be rude, but where did you do your research? The lack of a "Downtown" is a known and well discussed misconception for new people. I can only assume newcomers think our city smaller and look at the population numbers, put the two together and assume we have a much more densely populated city.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Well, when people say that a city's downtown is "dead" or "boring" it's all relative. So somebody who's been warned of Jax's downtown might not realize quite how bad it is. I know I've heard of plenty of struggling downtowns (and even called them as such myself) that are much nicer than ours. So it's not really something you know until you experience it yourself.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
Tell us something we dont know.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
We won't get defensive. We know Central Jacksonville is dead. It's like a ghost town after 5pm. COnsequently, downtown Jacksonville I don't think was ever meant to be an entertainment center, moreso for business. As for the Northside, some parts are rough looking and you'll find dudes on the block either hustling or standing idly by doing nothing.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Well, we sure didn't move here for the "downtown area", but definitely do like the Landing. We plan on bringing our boat to the Landing and wanted to see what it was like there first. When we visited the Landing the first time (been there twice now), we were sort of shocked at how "d-e-a-d" the downtown area was for a Saturday afternoon! But, we aren't "downtown" type people anyway.
Now, where are the "live" areas at in Jax during the day......the Avenues and Gateway Shopping Center for sure!! We have been by both areas on a Saturday and boy were the parking lots packed with cars.
Night action........The Landing on Friday and Saturday nights and Whitey's Fish Camp! We drove by there last night (Saturday) and the parking lot of packed to capacity! Was definitely "party night" at Whitey's!!
So, if people move here looking for "downtown" action during the weekend day, Jax sure isn't the city for that.....unless something big is going on at one of the big Entertainment Centers in Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville