Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 211,736 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Has anyone used the company and product Miracle Method for resurfacing kitchen countertops? I have vision trouble and purchased a house with black corian countertops. Can't afford a redo and Granite Transformations wanted $4500 (they use a granite-like "cap" over the top of the existing countertop) plus they didn't have a single color/pattern I liked. My concern mostly is with the fumes, as I have chemical sensitivities and my daughter has asthma, and any possible toxicity long term. We haven't moved into the home yet, will be having some work done first and have a rental home until late August, so if the product gasses out in a week that is fine, just wondering about the toxicity. Don't know of a chemist to contact who might be familiar with the product or anyone who has had it done. Googling has produced good and bad comments, but depended on the person who did the work. I met with the local contractor, but still would like feedback from someone who has had experience with them. Any other ideas for changing the color of corian countertops without too much expense or toxicity? I really don't care for granite. Tile would probably be cheaper, but harder to maintain/clean etc. as I've had friends who did tile countertops and regretted it. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM

72 posts, read 464,531 times
I know you say you don't really care for granite, but you would be amazed at how far the cost of granite has come down. We just re-did our kitchen for $38/sq. ft., including the sink, plus $150 for the sink cut-out. Total for the job was $1,650. We priced granite several years ago & the quote was over $4K. I would check with various companies & possibly go with the real stuff.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Default resurfacing countertops

Thank you for your response/feedback on the granite. I'm sure if I could find a pattern/color I liked I could go with it and the price is certainly reasonable. Do you mind sharing the name of the company you dealt with and pros and cons you've experienced with your countertops? I have to get it installed soon. Also, even though it may sound neurotic, what about the "radon report" that came out about the granite countertops recently?
Thanks for letting me know and especially about the price reduction. Would love to deal with a company that I know someone else has been happy with.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 AM

200 posts, read 618,985 times
Trying doing some more reseach about the granite radon..I cant fully remember but I think that it was a super slim chance of receiving a piece of granite that has unacceptable levels of radon. Jax32256..I'd be interested to know who you used as well-if you're willing to share.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm happy to share. I used Athens Marble & Granite. It's owned by a husband & wife team. They are off of Philips near the Avenues Mall. I did all of the measuring myself before I went in. The owner gave me a quote on the spot & then took me to the back of the building to look at the granite. They have 3 colors at the $38 price point: New Venetian Gold, Giallo Fiorito (the one we chose) & another one we didn't like -- I can't remember the name, though I believe it was very black.

It took about 2 weeks from the time we decided on the color we wanted. The owner came to do the templating & then the installation took place within 2 weeks. It took a couple of hours for the installation.

I found Atens in the Mint Magazine. I called around to several different companies for quotes. After we decided on Athens, I called 3 of their references & they had glowing reviews.

My husband & kids all have issues with allergies so we have air purifiers in the bedrooms. I haven't noticed any additional issues since the granite was installed (headaches, coughing, etc). Our AC runs non-stop & we have quite a few air purifiers in the house, so proper ventilation in our home isn't really an issue. I'm going to get a radon testing kit to be on the safe side & I'll post the results when I get them (though if they aren't good, then I think we might just pitch a tent in the backyard).

Here is the information:
Athens Marble & Granite
(904) 262-8599
9775 Mining Dr, #101
Jacksonville, FL

My cabinets will hopefully be complete soon & then I will add photos of my kitchen. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Natalie

Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,120 times
Is the corian in bad shape or you simply don't like the color? I wouldn't consider granite transformation as it actually costs more than certain real, 3cm granites.

If you don't plan on living at the house forever, do consider the impact on resale value of whatever you're doing with the countertop.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Results of radon report

We just received our radon report back & I am very happy to say our level was at 0.8 pCi/L. We put the test in the middle of the kitchen for 2 days. We are well below the average indoor radon concentration.

0.4 = Average outdoor radon concentration
1.3 = Average indoor radon concentration
4.0 =
EPA RECOMMENDED ACTION GUIDELINE

The test said the following:
If your radon level is below 2 pCi/L, you do not need to take action

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Miracle Method and Granite

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'm sorry to say that my granite experience turned into a disaster. We checked out several granite companies and were impressed with most, found a price we could afford, not much more than using Miracle Method. I had to have a certain color, light, gray-ish without a lot of movement due to brain injury and vision problems. Discussed that extensively with each company we checked out. My husband had made an appointment beforehand for one of the companies to come out to the house to do an estimate. We had already decided to go with one (wish we had) but the guy who came out to do the estimate (Mario Oliverio from Affordable Granite) was very nice, convincing, wanted the work, promised excellent results, and offered to beat the lowest bid. Well, folks, let me tell you the old saying "you get what you pay for, never go with the lowest bid" is true. We gave him half the money up front then when he did the installation we were appalled. The color we ordered/chose (he used Granite Express which we have since found out uses inferior granite compared to the others) was not the color installed (the style we chose comes in white, classic and gold enhanced). We discussed at length with the saleswoman at Granite Express and owner of Affordable Granite (Mario) who were both present when we chose the granite about the color desired and required. They both confirmed the day we chose the granite that we had chosen the white/gray and helped us to find what we asked for. After installation, he did not have an explanation as to why the color was wrong, just kept telling us that was what we chose and the numbers on the paper showed it (the numbers are not computerized so there is no way to track). We were just trying to find out what had possibly gone wrong, drove all the way back to Granite Express and was told the same thing and given no explanation, just that we were given what we chose. Not likely as we had expressed over and over how important it was that we got the lightest and least "busy" pattern and they actually helped us to find that. One of his installation helpers insisted that it was the seal that they used (yellowing rather than clear) while still at the house after installation. Our feeling was that the wrong granite was unintentionally loaded/delivered, but they insist that is impossible. Perhaps the sealer used changed the color -- don't know-- they won't answer anything except that there is nothing wrong.

By the time my contractor got there, my husband had paid Affordable Granite and the check was immediately cashed. There had been some concern about "slapping a lien on the house" which we later found out could not be done. I would not have paid him the balance, but my husband was intimidated and paid hiim the entire $2500 (good price, but would rather have paid more and got what I wanted and quality work). My contractor found numerous, serious flaws in the work, as did Marble Masters when we called them out to see if the "seal" could be removed if that was a possible problem -- using a dark seal rather than a clear one, which could have changed the color. We also had a sample of the granite which showed that it was obviously the wrong color installed. My contractor met with Mario (Affordable Granite) as he was a former mediator for the Better Business Bureau and tried to work out some sort of arrangement for fixing the flaws (very extensive) and the mess left from the "glues", etc.
Apparently Affordable said that they would redo everything but it would cost us more than twice the original price. So our contractor is dealing with the BBB now to force him to fix the flaws which involve almost the entire kitchen --very poor job. We've since spoken with other granite companies that import their own, are costlier but do the work right. Even though we told them we can't afford them now, they share their information with us. So there are still quite a few honorable companies out there.

We were snowed, and that's what happened. So if you're thinking of getting Granite, do not use Affordable Granite, as they are not reliable although they put up a good front to get the sale. The least they could have done about the color was to call ahead and say that before they started the fabrication the color that was delivered was not white or grey and they knew that was what I had chosen. Most have customers check the color before they even start cutting. Nevertheless the quality of work was so poor it would have been a mess anyway. It really tore us up and we would have even gone with nice formica rather than what we got. As for now it is all we can do to keep from taking a sledge hammer to it. We worked hard for the money and it was a big disappointment. We're not youngsters, so we should know better but there are people out there who will tell you anything, so use your head, don't be rushed like we were. As another poster on this subject did, check references and go with professionals. We certainly wish we had. We've always been trusting of people because we wouldn't think of doing others wrong, but even during these times, as opposed to boom times, there are some people out there who don't think twice about their integrity and reputation. Wish we had been a little more educated about this process and not so naive.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:02 AM

48 posts, read 157,683 times
I'm sorry that this happened to you.

But if it's any solace, my husband and I are buying a house in a week and are starting to look at companies to remodel our house. These folks wont be looked at by us. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM

Holy Moley, CindyTer! That is unbelievable. I hope you get your situation resolved. We actually insisted on putting the transaction on a credit card in case there were any issues. We knew the credit card company would stand behind us. They weren't happy about it & moaned about the 3% transaction fee (in the end I just paid the extra $50 because it was worth it to me to have it "insured" in case anything went south).

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville