Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM

33 posts, read 275,964 times

Advertisements

Our 5 year old air conditioner's evaporator coil has decided to crap out on us, and I'm curious if this is normal? It seems that the evaporator coil costs just as much as the AC itself, according to quotes I've read online. Can anyone give me a bit of info about this?

Also, we haven't cleaned our air ducts in about 7 years, and it always seems that the air is dirty. Then again, it just might be the cats. Do any of you know how often you should clean your air ducts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times
No, your evap should last a lot longer than the outside unit. Can you define "crap out"? The only reason it should need replacing is a leak that can not be found.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM

By the way, just so you know how some AC companies or MOST AC companies work is they provide commision to the techs for selling new units. It is much easier for these so called techs to come and say the whole thing needs to be replace since it will fix a much smaller problem while putting a couple hundred extra bucks in their pocket. I am not saying this is happening to you but I would double check or atleast post what they are telling you.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
The lifespan of an inside unit is about 15-18 years generally-speaking. The outside unit a little less. So, for yours to die in 5 years is unusual -- if it really is "dead".

If you want a second opinion I can recommend the company that was just here at my house (and why I know the lifespans). Call Mike at B-Cool 904-591-3955 or 904-783-6145. He's honest as the day is long and won't try to sell you something you don't need, he's affordable - service call is $59, he comes when he says he's coming and makes a courtesy phone call beforehand to say he's on the way.

He didn't mention anything about cleaning the ductwork, just changing out the filter when needed.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM

154 posts, read 645,766 times
Probably the #1 reason for the evaporator coil to leak/crack is not changing your filter regularly. We live in Florida where your AC is working twice as hard and twice as long so you need to change the filter every month. The coil might still be under warranty but you will have to pay for the labor. Probably $700/$800 range. Also, I wouldn't clean the ductwork. If you are concerned about it down the road, most of the ductwork in your attic is flexduct that you could replace yourself with some panduit straps. You can buy this from Home Depot. Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM

What does not changing your filter have to do with your evap leaking? Just curious.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM

154 posts, read 645,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
What does not changing your filter have to do with your evap leaking? Just curious.
A dirty or clogged filter restricts the return airflow across the evaporator coil. This could cause the coil to ice or freeze up, overworking the unit which could cause a leak. There could be many different causes for a leak but not changing your filter is one of them.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
If your problem is the evaporator coil it could have been punctured by debris shot out of a lawn mower, etc. I suggest you get another opinion. I agree with the previous person responding about Mike B. from B-Cool. He is good. call 591-3955. ----John

Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Not changing your filter has nothing to do with leaks on you evap coil unless your doing something very strange in your house with some types of acidic foods which I doubt. Your right about the air flow though and will cause your unit to run longer but once again, has nothing to do with a leak. That would only put wear on your compressor.

There are 3 things that cause leaks, acids, like if you had tomatos, pickles ect uncovered in a cooler which the acidic juices would sit on the coil and eventually create pin holes.

Or, vibration. Two pieces of metal touching each other over a long period of time will eventually create a leak.

Then you have human error, someone cleaning ice off an evap with a screwdriver and slips and punctures a hole and yes I have seen people do it.

Lawn mower wont do it either, your evap is usually in the garage :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville