Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 AM

154 posts, read 323,964 times

Advertisements

Hello Yorukosan, and I hope that I am giving you some good information that you can use. You mentioned in one of your posts if you should get the driver's license in Seattle or Jax. Definitely get the license before you come. You can then change it quickly to a Florida license after you have an address. The license is vital for ID and you might need it to buy a car or get a job.

I drove a taxi in Jacksonville my last 4 years there and I am very familiar with the neighborhoods -- especially Riverside, San Marco, Southside, Arlington, and Mandarin. I can give you some input about various apartment complexes. You can get a pretty good, one bedroom apartment here for about $500 (I wouldn't try to go any lower than that). Again, I think it's better to get a short term place while you are finding a job. Moving in with a roommate is always a gamble, but maybe you can luck out, especially if you meet some people on this forum.

When are you planning on moving? I am partial to the Lakewood area of Jacksonville. It is about 15 minutes from San Marco, Downtown, and Riverside. If you could find a place on San Jose Blvd, near University Blvd. West there is good bus service that can take you to San Marco/Downtown. There is another bus line that could take you to Southside. There is pretty good shopping in the area with Winn Dixie, Publix (these are supermarkets), banks, restaurants.

As far as a short term rental you might want to check the classified ads in The Florida Times Union under rooms for rent, there might be a family who wants to rent out a bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM

19 posts, read 57,632 times
Yeah, good info. Yeah I plan to get my driver's before I go down there. Sounds like that would be my best bet. And so far those areas seem to be what everyone else is saying are the best to live, so I'm taking notes on that. Descent apts up here start at like $700, so that's not a big deal. I plan on moving between July and Oct maybe. I hear july is the hottest and rainy season, but I want to leave asap when I have the money and stuff, but it may even take me longer. I'll save the link for the newspaper and keep checking.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Hi Yorukosan, I think that I have taken an interest in your situation, because I can relate to it. The last time that I moved to Jacksonville was in 2002 from Colorado. I drove there, and did not have a job. I got a good job there about a month later. With that being said, the economy in 2002 was much different than it is today. If your heart beckons to come to Florida, I would say go for it. I have found that the safe and tidy way approaching life is not for everyone. It is definitely not for me. I'm now living in Costa Rica and moved down here after I left Jacksonville in 2008.

I would think that once you are certified to work in Florida as a dental hygenist, getting a job would probably be easy. The medical field is secure work (don't know too much about the security of dentistry). As a matter of fact, I worked in a hospital for awhile in Denver before moving to Jacksonville. Maybe you could do something at a hospital until you find a job as a hygenist. Memorial or St. Vincents hospitals are very good -- also Baptist Hospital in San Marco or Nemours Childrens hospital is in San Marco as well. I would not let people who are negative try to scare you about the high unemployment rate. My philosophy is that there will always be a job for a good employee.

You mentioned that your potential date for coming to Jacksonville might be July - October. Yes July will be hot, but the mornings until about 11:00am are pretty nice. Then it starts to warm up. Usually it rains every afternoon about 1:00 or 2:00pm. Sometimes it rains briefly, sometimes it rains for a couple of hours. By late afternoon, you will have sunshine again. The rainy season usually runs from June through September, but don't let that scare you. Remember the rain usually happens in the afternoon. Actually I like the rain. September is the rainiest month then October arrives and it is really nice. Be prepared for some cold weather in December and January, but nothing like the cold weather up north, like Chicago, and no snow.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM

About the job search, thats what I'd think too. I'll have a job with 6 months I live in Seattle now. Before I left to visit Tampa in December, it was day highs of 32 and night lows in the teens! Tampa was highs of 60-70 and night lows in the 35-45 range. That was nice to me, ofcourse people in florida thought that was cold, lol. But heat and humidity isn't something I'm quite use to. When it gets past 85 I become misrible, but you guys have air conditioning everywhere. I just hear it's hard to be out any enjoy it for too long. So instead of spending the day at the beach, I'll just go in the morn or later, etc. That's all

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 AM

This is turning into a hobby for me and it is enjoyable helping someone make a smooth transition for such a move as your talking about. I think the most important thing about moving from one state to another is being flexible and not expecting the new city to be like the old city. That's why a person moves -- for change. You are smart in planning this well in advance, by the time you move, you will be an expert on Jacksonville.

Originally I suggested a residence hotel in Arlington, but on second thought maybe it would be better to find something in Riverside or San Marco. I think it is important that you have a positive perception of Jacksonville when you first arrive. Arlington is maybe okay, but not as good of an area as Riverside. (By the way, there are quite a few cheaper hotels on Phillips Highway. WARNING, NOT RECOMMENDED). So when you first arrive, I think Riverside is your best bet. You might want to check with Craigs List to see about short term condo/apartment listings. There are a couple of bed and breakfasts in Riverside for your first few days. The House on Cherry Street has favorable ratings.

I think taking a taxi from the airport when you first arrive would be the best. The fare to Riverside would be about $50. If you stayed in Riverside for your first few days you could walk around the Five Points area, Riverside Park, Memorial Park, Riverside Avenue and Park and King Streets to start familiarizing yourself. There is a nice little shopping area right across the street from Memorial Park you might want to check out.

A good option for you might be to rent a car on a weekly basis for your first few weeks there. A reasonable place to rent is Atlantic Car Rentals on Beach Blvd, a few blocks east of University Blvd. South. Atlantic Car Rentals is an independent dealer and is much cheaper than chain car rentals such as Hertz and Avis. Now that you have wheels, you could drive east on Beach Blvd. to the beaches. Drive straight ahead for about 10 miles and you will run into the beach with parking if you want to spend some time there. You could explore all of the beaches area. You would be in Jacksonville Beach. If you go north on Third Street or A1A, for about 5 minutes you would be in Neptune Beach and next to it Atlantic Beach. If you go south you would be in Ponte Vedra Beach in about 10 minutes. Do you have a map of Jacksonville yet?

I think it's better to drive around and become somewhat familiar with the city for a few days before starting your job search (maybe do job research in the evenings). You will have to find a place to live for a month or so. There are 7 bridges that connect the east side and the west side of the St. Johns River. This might be confusing for a newcomer. I think it's best when you're learning the city to have an idea where you are wanting to go is on the east side the west side. The Acosta and Fuller-Warren Bridges are the closest to Riverside.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM

90 posts, read 247,661 times
Everyone has different experiences. I lived in Jax and it isn't the most exciting place. It wasn't for me but it doesn't mean it won't be for you. I lived in Riverside and it can be dangerous for women. So investigate the area you are going to move in. In fact I lived four blocks from Five Points and it was so nice, but my neighbor was an exconvict. He was a nightmare.
I also lived in Southside. I really liked it but I had an awesome roommate so who knows. I say try it and if it doesn't work out, at least, you tried. I left but it was an experience. By the way, I lived in Chicago and loved it. I hope to be back by June.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Where are you living now, Jennifer? Chicago will definitely be exciting. It looks like your ex-convict neighbor was a little too exciting.....

Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldee View Post

When are you planning on moving? I am partial to the Lakewood area of Jacksonville. It is about 15 minutes from San Marco, Downtown, and Riverside. If you could find a place on San Jose Blvd, near University Blvd. West there is good bus service that can take you to San Marco/Downtown. There is another bus line that could take you to Southside. There is pretty good shopping in the area with Winn Dixie, Publix (these are supermarkets), banks, restaurants.

I agree, the neighborhood of Lakewood, on the southern tip of the San Marco area, could be a great fit for you. Granted, the few apartments available in Lakewood are going to be older - much older - but the location will outweigh that.

The Gardens at Lakewood apartments have been renovated, they are very safe, not expensive and super-convenient. The city buses run directly in front of the apartment buildings. San Marco Square is a 5 minute drive away and Downtown is just over 10 minutes. You'd have one of the nicest Winn Dixie supermarkets directly across from your apartment and a brand new Publix within a 10 minute walk. There's a good-sized collection of restaurants, Starbucks, a cyber cafe, 2 post offices, city park, bar, smoothie bar, bakery, laundry/dry cleaning - lots of stuff - clustered right outside your apartment door.

Gardens At Lakewood
5551 Auburn Road, Jacksonville, FL 32207-7724
(904) 737-6576‎

Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 AM

I'll look that place up for sure... Mmmmm Starbucks 0_o you found my weakness... Although, walking into a Starbucks 3000 miles away from Seattle is just not the same, it's like walking into a McDonald's (as far as the workers go) Coffee is still good, but not as lively the workers. You guys have been awesome with all the helpful info, thank you ^_~

Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Lakewood Village Apartments could work for you also. It is tucked away just off of San Jose Blvd. Walking distance to the shopping center that Riveree mentioned, and good bus service there. Lakewood Village is a smaller, but intimate complex with a swimming pool in the center. All of the apartments have a view of the pool. The address is 1542 Arcadia Rd, Jacksonville, Fl. This is a great area and many of the rich folks live on the river which is nearby. Epping Forest is nearby and has some of the most expensive homes in the city. Sorry, unless you know someone there you can't get in. When you become rich and famous this is an option. Actually I love all of San Jose Blvd. If you go south you are in Mandarin and beyond. San Jose Blvd. turns into State Road 13 and is an incredibly beautiful drive. I recommend it when you are wanting to explore. If you go north you are in San Marco/and across the Main Street Bridge to downtown.

Lets assume that you have only been in town a day or so and don't have a car yet. You are staying in Riverside and you want to check out San Marco. San Marco is just across the river on the eastside. Take a taxi to San Marco Square (just 5 minutes away) and check out the many shops and restaurants there. Cafe Carmen is one of my favorite restaurants and has a nice selection of fairly reasonably-priced desserts, lunches, and dinners. If you are feeling energetic, you could walk north on San Marco Blvd to get an idea of the ambience. Have someone direct you to the Main Street Bridge and walk across to Downtown to Bay Street, turn left as soon as you cross the bridge and check out The Jacksonville Landing and very picturesque views of the St. Johns River. The Jacksonville Landing is an entertainment/shopping area right on the river. There are water taxi's if you are so inclined to take one back to San Marco, or just stay at The Landing and watch the beautiful sunset. Jacksonville is actually a very beautiful city. Too bad that its full potential has not yet been fully discovered by the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville