Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM

51 posts, read 167,452 times

Advertisements

I posted this under the general Florida forum but thought I would repost it in Jacksonville:

Hi everyone. I'm considering moving out from here in Denver to almost anywhere in Florida. Here is a little background:

I'm 23 year old guy who graduated with a degree in finance last year. I've lived in Colorado most of my life and am looking to make an exciting change. Things have gotten dull here, and I no longer have school or my ex-girlfriend keeping me motivated to stay in Denver. I have been fortunate that money is not so much an issue for me currently, and as a result I'm not at the mercy of moving to any particular place based on work. I think I'm at the perfect age to go off and start something new, and I feel like I would definitely enjoy myself in Florida (I'll admit it's somewhat intimidating that I will know no one however). I consider myself a pretty solid individual, athletic/healthy, got my finances in order, I'm mature, yet I like to go out and enjoy my life (still got my wild college side haha).

My question is, where are some good places for a young college grad in Florida? I really don't want to live in Miami considering my Spanish is not so good anymore. But anywhere else seems ok to me. I've looked into Tampa/St. Pete and Jacksonville. I would love a place where I can meet new people/friends easily (some quality gals wouldn't hurt either hehe). Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Great! This is a frequently asked question in this forum. Maybe it would be helpful if, other than meeting new new people and quality women, (Everywhere in Florida has that) you could be a little more specific with what you are looking for in a place to live....Beach? Boating? Golf? Pro Sports? Possible Employment? Overall Affordability? Thinking of buying or renting? Nightlife? You know all the little things that make offering an opinion so much easier. I am sure that there are many people here that will be delighted to give you their help.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM

Well coming from Colorado I would definitely love for a complete change and to live near or by the beach. I would also like to pick up some new hobbies like sailing or something in the water. Definitely want to live in a place that has a mixture of things to do and see. I would say I'm a fairly active nightlife person. Typically I'm downtown or at my college bars on Thurs-Sat nights. Though I wouldn't call myself extremely wild by any means, just like to have fun. I probably wouldn't look for employment initially (I currently trade stocks and have been pretty successful at doing so, but I would also like to volunteer or whatnot to help pass the time and be productive with my life). I probably wouldn't mind spending up to $1000+- on a one bedroom apartment.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times
If you move to Jacksonville, you'll want to live either at the Beaches or somewhere inthe urban core (downtown, Riverside & Avondale, San Marco, Springfield).

These are the 2 general hubs for young people, nightlife, and creativity.

If you'd like more info on these areas (maps, photos, places to live, fun stuff to do, etc) just ask.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablueg35 View Post
I posted this under the general Florida forum but thought I would repost it in Jacksonville:

Hi everyone. I'm considering moving out from here in Denver to almost anywhere in Florida. Here is a little background:

I'm 23 year old guy who graduated with a degree in finance last year. I've lived in Colorado most of my life and am looking to make an exciting change. Things have gotten dull here, and I no longer have school or my ex-girlfriend keeping me motivated to stay in Denver. I have been fortunate that money is not so much an issue for me currently, and as a result I'm not at the mercy of moving to any particular place based on work. I think I'm at the perfect age to go off and start something new, and I feel like I would definitely enjoy myself in Florida (I'll admit it's somewhat intimidating that I will know no one however). I consider myself a pretty solid individual, athletic/healthy, got my finances in order, I'm mature, yet I like to go out and enjoy my life (still got my wild college side haha).

My question is, where are some good places for a young college grad in Florida? I really don't want to live in Miami considering my Spanish is not so good anymore. But anywhere else seems ok to me. I've looked into Tampa/St. Pete and Jacksonville. I would love a place where I can meet new people/friends easily (some quality gals wouldn't hurt either hehe). Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Good luck on your move. I came to Jax when I was 20. I grew up in NJ but I have my moms whole side of the family here. I had lots of fun in college years. And 20 years ago there were less bars etc. its seems like you have a good attitude and know how to have fun wherever you are

No we dont have the night-life of South Beach nor the attractions of Orlando. Jax is a mid sized city.. Indianapolis-by-the-Sea. But being near the beach gives lots of opportunity for fun ( water activities, beach and girls). Another nice thing is that Jax is a young city for Florida.

I like the heat and humidity. No 97 with 100% humidity isnt nice. But give me low temps of 70 and ocean water at 83. If you hate the heat dont move here just as someone who hates cold and snow should avoid Minnesota

Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Good luck on your move. I came to Jax when I was 20. I grew up in NJ but I have my moms whole side of the family here. I had lots of fun in college years. And 20 years ago there were less bars etc. its seems like you have a good attitude and know how to have fun wherever you are

No we dont have the night-life of South Beach nor the attractions of Orlando. Jax is a mid sized city.. Indianapolis-by-the-Sea. But being near the beach gives lots of opportunity for fun ( water activities, beach and girls). Another nice thing is that Jax is a young city for Florida.

I like the heat and humidity. No 97 with 100% humidity isnt nice. But give me low temps of 70 and ocean water at 83. If you hate the heat dont move here just as someone who hates cold and snow should avoid Minnesota

I'm not 100% sure I'm moving down yet but I would definitely like to (probably would be August/Sept). I know I will have to man up and deal with the heat, but I think it won't be too much of a problem for me.

On a non-biased scale, how would you rate livability for a young guy like me in Jacksonville vs Tampa/St. Pete? I really want to make sure that if I make this big change in my life that I'm not regretting it after a couple weeks, you know? I definitely like what I have heard/read about Jacksonville, just want to make sure it's the right city for me .

Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
If you move to Jacksonville, you'll want to live either at the Beaches or somewhere inthe urban core (downtown, Riverside & Avondale, San Marco, Springfield).

These are the 2 general hubs for young people, nightlife, and creativity.

If you'd like more info on these areas (maps, photos, places to live, fun stuff to do, etc) just ask.

Do you sacrifice much to live in the beach areas rather then downtown? Or are they pretty much comparable? I mean if I live in the beaches would I be wanting to make the long drive downtown more than I would want to be hanging out in the beach area? Sounds like they have their own separate nightlife that is away from downtown. I guess I'm use to it here that most of the nightlife (granted there are some other small spots) is centered in downtown Denver.

Also I read about an area called gateway/towncenter, is that nice? Or would you stick with the beaches or urban core?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
I Really can't compare Jax with Tampa/St Pete as I have never lived down there, visited yes but that's not the same. When I did get down there it struck me as being nice but ungodly hot, yes even compared to Jax, must have been the fact that here you seem to always get a nice ocean breeze. Not sure if the gulf gets breezy or not. Another thing I noticed that I never really thought about before is there's no waves in the gulf...again maybe because there's no wind..don't know? Down there does seem to get much more Hurricane action than we do up here..then there's a breeze down there. Access to the beach here seems easier than down there. I did notice alot of the beach action down there seemed to be centered off of the causeways that go across Tampa Bay. One thing I will say is if its just fishing or boating that interested one, Tampa Bay is a great place to get that done.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
You've got to visit! You won't have any idea til you visit.

In general, Tampa/St Pete would probably offer more overall nightlife and entertainment opportunities. It is a larger metro after all. But Jax likely would be more affordable, even living right at the beach. If you're seeking a big change, I'd go with the beach. The Town Center and Tinseltown offer quite a bit of nightlife too, midway between the beach and the urban core areas. But visit first, cause you might love some of those places around downtown...or you might not like anything. Who knows? It's a little soon, but I might suggest coming during the JazzFest on Memorial Weekend. Should be pretty awesome. But make sure you stay for a bit afterwards so you can see what things are normally like. Don't want to be accused of false advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville