Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 AM

615 posts, read 1,713,243 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to relocate to Jacksonville from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. We are pretty much "over" the small town deal here, but we only have a few days to decide, and I won't be able to visit Jax before then. I have been there a few times, but just downtown and definitely wasn't looking at it as a place to move back then.

So here are my issues...we are not happy with the public schools here. Although they "rate" well, the school building is old and run down, it's HUGE (900 kids in K and 1st alone), and there is a pretty substantial poverty level (Title 1 schools). I'm fine with diversity, but poverty has a huge impact on not only overall school success, but parent involvment, too, which I think it a must in a successful school. (These are the best public schools in the area.)

There are really just 2 private schools here, and tuition would be about $12k a year for 2 kids. I know that's a lot less than a lot of private schools, but it would be difficult for us. And honestly, our beliefs don't exactly "align" with either schools' teachings, so that is a bit of a concern.

Anyway, I know FL schools aren't the best in the country, but considering what we are coming from, I'm hoping the public schools will be better. We are focusing our househunting on St John's County, but since schools are the top priority, I'm open to other locations.

I'm also really looking forward to a bigger city with more things to do and culture. I feel like I can't expose my kids to the things I want to here because of the lack of things to do - zoos, museums, classes etc.

I've read a couple other "should I move to Jax" posts and you all seem to have great advice, so I thought I try to get some feedback. This is the only relocation opportunity we have right now, and it is a really good one, location wise for the industry and personally for my husband. I guess I just don't want to move and have the same issues that we do here.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
St. Johns Co will have better overall schools, yes. However, if you are looking to move away from the "small town" feel then you may not enjoy living there. You won't find the culture, arts, sports, zoo, museums, festivals, concerts, events, resources, etc in St. Johns County at this time. Depending on where you are in SJC, it will about a 30-45 minute drive into the city.

There are plenty of great to decent schools in Jacksonville (Duval County was rated a B overall in public schools, and over 2/3rds received an A or B in the last rating). As you said, so much of it is parental involvement anyways, as long as its an environment condusive to learning. There are plenty of postively rated grade schools, an adequate number of middle schools, and a shortage of high schools.

If you'd like more specific info, just ask. Otherwise there are many, many past threads that have asked similar questions and you may be able to find answers there.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
St. Johns Co will have better overall schools, yes. However, if you are looking to move away from the "small town" feel then you may not enjoy living there. You won't find the culture, arts, sports, zoo, museums, festivals, concerts, events, resources, etc in St. Johns County at this time. Depending on where you are in SJC, it will about a 30-45 minute drive into the city.

There are plenty of great to decent schools in Jacksonville (Duval County was rated a B overall in public schools, and over 2/3rds received an A or B in the last rating). As you said, so much of it is parental involvement anyways, as long as its an environment condusive to learning. There are plenty of postively rated grade schools, an adequate number of middle schools, and a shortage of high schools.

If you'd like more specific info, just ask. Otherwise there are many, many past threads that have asked similar questions and you may be able to find answers there.
Thanks for the help!

I'm definitely not opposed to a more "suburban" area as long as its near a big city. The problem here is that the city doesn't have much to offer, and anywhere that does (New Orleans, Jackson, Mobile) is a 2 hour drive. I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta, which is also really spread out, but at least you had the benefits of a big city nearby.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:23 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Another area to consider is the 9A/Gate parkway/Baymeadows area east of Southside blvd

The elementary & middle schools have been "A" schools for years. There is a new High School scheduled to open this fall
You would be 15 mins or so from the zoo, 20 to 25 mins from downtown & the stadiums
15 to 20 mins to the beach, 10 mins or so from the Town Center which is an outdoor type mall

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
The problem here is that the city doesn't have much to offer,

such as...? most residents couldn't tell you what's what about what the city has to offer. For example, Jax has VERY active arts scene. But your typical resident would have no clue.

Heck, even though there are plenty of places to go out at night Downtown, people still think there's nowhere to go Downtown! Just another example.

So if there's something(s) you are looking for specifically, i'd know if the city offers it.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The problem here is that the city doesn't have much to offer,

Even though its a college town, the choices on just about everything are limited...restaurants (other then the typical chain), no kids museums or activities, the zoo is pathetic, very few decent parks. I'm talking more about things to do with the kids - they're a little young for fine arts and nightclubs.

I just want a place with more choices as far as activities with the kids, shopping, restaurants etc without having to drive 2 hours to a "big city".

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Plus, Brett Farve has his annual summer circus down there every year. Rachel Nichols is probably already camped out down there.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Plus, Brett Farve has his annual summer circus down there every year. Rachel Nichols is probably already camped out down there.
Ha! His kids go to the public schools here, so maybe its not so bad, right? It's sad though when the most excitement around here is seeing him shopping at the local walmart.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
only place he can get his Wranglers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: