Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times

Advertisements

To the OP, age doesn't matter with 'being stupid.' The problem you speak of is a problem in all 'retirement' states. Our housing hasn't gotten as cheap as some of your areas because people keep moving to AZ for some reason. From all over do they come. Even droves of Canadians are coming....

We will be moving to FL one day because we both love the ocean, scuba diving, and friendly people. Oh that and the yummy Cuban food/drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
I don't think young people today are any more stupid than the old farts (the OP excepted of course) that couldn't wait to buy over-priced houses down here 3 or 4 years ago, bigger houses than they could ever need or afford, some standing in line at model homes to plunk down $1000 holding deposits with zero down mortgages, or even committing over the phone without even seeing the actual house, and now ending up upside down in foreclosure, or wondering how they are ever going to afford the mortgage, insurance and utility bills and wondering how the hell this ever happened to them when the old farts were the ones that got us into this mess in the first place.

No, the young people are no more stupid. In fact they are alot wiser today.

Last edited by cricketfan; 04-18-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 03:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I'm not sure if I grasp what you are talking about, but I graduated from college in 1976 (education degree) from a university in Indiana. I moved to Phoenix, AZ in 1979 with no job. I had a job within a day of arriving in Phoenix.
I moved to Las Vegas in 1981, but I had a job before I left Phoenix. I moved to Dallas, TX in 1984 without a job, but had a job within two months after moving.
I don't see a problem with moving without a job, if you have a marketable skill.
There are times when the job market's hot - and times when it's not. We are now in the latter. You were moving from one hot growth area to another when I suspect demand exceeded supply. These days - I certainly wouldn't move here without a job offer if I were a teacher. Probably wouldn't move to Las Vegas or Phoenix either (don't know anything about Dallas). Another complicating factor here is that even if you could get a job teaching in Duval County (I think most of St. Johns County is impossible) - you'd probably wind up in a pretty awful school (an unfortunate fact of teaching life is that the newest and frequently worst teachers wind up in the worst schools where the students need the most help). Robyn

Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Being at the tail end of BBoomership, I don't pretend to understand Gen Xers or Gen Y/Millenials. I do know that they think and behave differently, though, and that they probably have the optimism of youth and are still idealistic, to boot. I can remember being somewhat like that - once. The three young adult children that I have will not hear me discourage them from trying anything at least once. Especially in this economy, which will beat them down soon enough.
There was an article in our local paper today (it was an AP article - so it's not on the local website). Called "Grown Up and More Dependent Than Ever". The gist is that kids in their 20's now live with their folks in huge numbers - take large amounts from them to live on - and that - with ObamaCare for "kids" up to age 26 on their parents' health insurance policies - they will be become more dependent than ever. If 60 is the new 50 - then 25 is the new 15.

If your kids are giving a go of it on their own - then good for them. The time to try new things is when you're young - unmarried (or with a working spouse/partner to help you out) - without kids - and not used to any degree of luxury in your life. If you flop - it's easy to change course. My husband and I both opened our own law offices when we were in our 20's - early 30's. First he supported me in my effort - then I supported him. Worked out fine.

I think with regard to your kind of situation (not your specific situation) that I object to parents treating their kids like the ones mentioned in the article. There are some people in my family my age who are like that. Subsidizing their kids to the tune of 5 figures a year so little precious never has to attend the school of hard knocks (and I'm not talking about sending kids to school - I'm talking about subsidizing them when they're out of school). Are you subsidizing your kids - or are they doing things on their own? Robyn

P.S. In case you don't remember the old saying - if you're not liberal when you're young - you don't have a heart. And if you're not conservative when you're old - you don't have a brain.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Ditto. 55YO here and I'm moving WO a job and two minor children. Not sure what that makes me..... a stupid old fart?! LOL!
What kind of job will you be looking for? Robyn

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
To the OP, age doesn't matter with 'being stupid.' The problem you speak of is a problem in all 'retirement' states. Our housing hasn't gotten as cheap as some of your areas because people keep moving to AZ for some reason. From all over do they come. Even droves of Canadians are coming....

We will be moving to FL one day because we both love the ocean, scuba diving, and friendly people. Oh that and the yummy Cuban food/drink.
But your percentage declines are as bad (or worse) than ours in Florida (they're both big states - and local markets within the states vary). I have a brother in Scottsdale - and his house is probably worth about 40% less than it was at the peak of the market. Robyn

P.S. Not much in the way of Cuban food here in NE Florida.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
probably both are true. it is for me. but if you point it out point #1 those on CDF will be eager to point out #2.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I don't think young people today are any more stupid than the old farts (the OP excepted of course) that couldn't wait to buy over-priced houses down here 3 or 4 years ago, bigger houses than they could ever need or afford, some standing in line at model homes to plunk down $1000 holding deposits with zero down mortgages, or even committing over the phone without even seeing the actual house, and now ending up upside down in foreclosure, or wondering how they are ever going to afford the mortgage, insurance and utility bills and wondering how the hell this ever happened to them when the old farts were the ones that got us into this mess in the first place.

No, the young people are no more stupid. In fact they are alot wiser today.
I think my original emphasis was on jobs - but you're right that a lot of older people did an awful lot of stupid things. I hear about this every day because my 91 year old father lives in a senior community (average age over 80) near Southside Blvd. When he moved here in 2006 - the place had a long waiting list. Now it is probably 1/3 vacant. The old people let their kids/brokers manage their money - put 80% of it in stocks (of course they had to pay high dividends - so they were mostly financial stocks ) - etc. A lot of residents have had to move to cheaper places - or move in with their kids. And a lot who have to sell their houses to move into a place like this can't sell at a price they consider reasonable (they think that real estate values can never go down).

There is one bright side for younger people. When you're just starting out - and your first life experience is with a terrible recession - you tend to learn some important life lessons (my husband and I were lucky to start out our adult lives shortly before the '73-'74 recession - which was every bit as bad as this one). Robyn

P.S. Disclaimer - I do manage my father's money - but I have been doing fixed income investing for over 30 years. And the only bright side of my father losing his wife of 62 years - my mother - in 2005 was that he sold his house in south Florida at the top of the market - put a lot of money in the bank - and then rented his place here.

P.P.S. The people I hate the worst are the people who are walking away from their obligations - especially mortgages - even when they have the ability to pay them. Have a couple of people in my family like that - and won't talk to them again. They're deadbeats IMO. Have even less regard for corporate type entities that are doing the same thing. And this is something new in our society IMO. People just defaulting on their debts because they feel like doing it - because it's convenient. Not a good turn of events IMO.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,960 times
Robyn, you are absolutely spot on regarding people walking away from their debts. This will come back to haunt us in the years ahead. When people no longer care about their credit ratings, then the government will come up with programs to protect them or to bail them out. This is in large part why I am not a liberal in my political views and more libertarian in my social views. The "system" is encouraging irresponsibility and is making people who made dumb decisions into "victims". Well, like alcohol and drugs, it is a self-inflicted wound and in this case a financial one. We are in for some tough times for years ahead because of irresponsible people making bad choices. I guess what we all want is for someone else to pay our bills. I'm still waiting on that person to show up. So far, no luck.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM

109 posts, read 306,827 times
It is not a question about people not caring about their credit rating. It is question of whether paying a mortgage on a depreciating underwater property is financially a good idea. And for many people, walking away is simply in their best financial interest. Corporations and investments groups do this routinely. It is no different for individuals. I don't think it is immoral or wrong.
See Lowenstein: Yes you can walk away from your mortgage Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville