Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,929 times

Advertisements

I also moved here without a job, however I did have my military pay to live on (albeit miniscule).
That was 1995 when jobs were plentiful. However, I have many skills, so I landed employment extremely quickly.
About young people: they seem to have the same attitude as those before them; I make quite a lot, so I can spend quite a lot. Before they know it, they have a huge mortgage, high auto payments, and living well beyond their income. This bragging attitude has been the same since I can remember. It begins in Grade school. Students divide by their standard of living.
On housing: the price of houses in Jacksonville, FL are now at where they should have been from 1996 to 2006. I couldn't believe the upturn in housing prices. I was a Realtor at that time, and it was phenominal. I knew in early 2006 that something really drastic was going to happen. Why in God's name would anybody pay $230,000 for a 3BR/2BA 1490 sq ft house in an average area. The attitude was that the more they paid, the more they thought about the equity climbing over a short period, then they could resale at a higher price and walk out with $40K - $60K.
I got out of Real Estate because I couldn't let anybody pay those prices for a 10-year old house that was built very cheaply.
Jacksonville government didn't help any because they were hauling in property taxes hand-over-fist and living it.
Well, here we are. Exactly where I predicted. Now the young people are still trying to drive up prices again.

WILL THEY NEVER LEARN?

Good luck to all!!!

Inhopes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
I haven't read through this all, but I will add this in. I am in my early 30's and have dreamed of moving to FL since I was in my early teens. I want the sunshine, beaches, COL lower than CT. I can see OP's point - I've had friends move places without having a job and just figuring one will come along. Some have made it, some wind up back home.

Me - I can't do that, it's not in me to fly by the seat of my pants. I need the security of knowing I have a steady paycheck, or money in the bank. So I will stay put until times are better or I have a nice chunk of change saved to get me by for several months or more.

But I get what OP is saying.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think people who move here for "benefits" will be disappointed. We're a very stingy state. Robyn
A few things drive me nuts...here are two
I've had a coworker that moved here from out of state (the husband was a grocery manager and the wife had a descent paying job in medical field) and she bragged about having her kids on the school lunch program (on the tax payors dime). She also had season tickets to the Theatre (Broadway plays). It's maddening! This situation may be a little different because both of them worked, but my point is...people get foodstamps and their kids get sponsored school lunches on the taxpayors dime and it shouldn't happen.
or this...
Recently, there was an article in the paper about a family who was here on a 2 year visa. One of their children was in high school when they arrived. The child rcvd good grades and did some volunteer work. So when she graduated...SHE GOT FLORIDA BRIGHT FUTURES!! She isn't EVEN a citizen!!! NO WONDER THERE IS NO MONEY LEFT IN THE BANK FOR THE KIDS!!!! It just drives me over the edge. They DO give the "benefits" to those that shouldn't have them, at least I know of several myself. Anyone else see it happening?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,561 times
The same economic "laws" that apply to Greece and Iceland also apply to this country.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM

212 posts, read 426,918 times
About the 20/30 year olds still at home - I have one out of the nest and 2 still in college, but a friend of mine (a financial advisor) who has a young adult meandering through his college education mentioned something that I found quite interesting. He says that the younger generation will have to be working alot longer than our generation, so he's quite willing to cut his children some slack at the beginning of their working lives, while they're still trying to find a good career fit in this transitional economy. His son has finally landed into studying accounting and will graduate soon.

Now that many in our generation are forced by financial circumstance to stay in our jobs, it's even more difficult for those who are younger to get those positions, so even though I personally find the trend of adult children in the parental home less than ideal, I completely understand why it happens.

Also, remember that historically, throughout many cultures, multi-generational living was not only normal, it was encouraged. It makes sense on many levels (economically, ecologically, educationally, for families staying close, etc.).

Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
the younger generation will have to be working alot longer than our generation, so he's quite willing to cut his children some slack at the beginning of their working lives, while they're still trying to find a good career fit in this transitional economy. .

Now that many in our generation are forced by financial circumstance to stay in our jobs, it's even more difficult for those who are younger to get those positions, so even though I personally find the trend of adult children in the parental home less than ideal, I completely understand why it happens.
You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Also, as a parent, we brought these children into the world and it is our responsibility to help them become productive citizens. To help give them a hand UP (not necessarily a hand OUT) so our children don't end up having to "use" the system to make ends meet. Now, I am not saying there aren't situations where a family may not be able to help, but if the parents have the means it definitely should be them who extends the assistance to make our new generations a financially stable one (as much as possible) afterall...the world will be left in their hands eventually. If we don't help them during these tough times we should be ashamed of ourselves (the parents) because life is just getting tougher each year. Even those of us who thought we had the world by the tail have had our butts kicked in the financial situation the world is in right now. Don't look at helping your adult kids as overindulging parents...look at it as being responsible parents! When you die one day you will know in your heart you did the right thing!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Also, as a parent, we brought these children into the world and it is our responsibility to help them become productive citizens. To help give them a hand UP (not necessarily a hand OUT) so our children don't end up having to "use" the system to make ends meet. Now, I am not saying there aren't situations where a family may not be able to help, but if the parents have the means it definitely should be them who extends the assistance to make our new generations a financially stable one (as much as possible) afterall...the world will be left in their hands eventually. If we don't help them during these tough times we should be ashamed of ourselves (the parents) because life is just getting tougher each year. Even those of us who thought we had the world by the tail have had our butts kicked in the financial situation the world is in right now. Don't look at helping your adult kids as overindulging parents...look at it as being responsible parents! When you die one day you will know in your heart you did the right thing!
I disagree. I don't know anyone who had it worse than my parents' generation (my father was born in 1918 and my mother in 1920). My mother had to live with her inlaws during WWII while my father was in the service. But ASAP after the war ended - they made a life of their own. Perhaps my grandparents had it worse. All 4 were immigrants who came to this county alone when they were under 20 (one grandmother came on forged papers when she was 13). Note that I personally "came of age" after school in the '73-74 recession - no piece of cake - but nothing compared to what my parents and grandparents went through.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you strong. And - best I can tell - a lot of 20-30 somethings are total wimps these days. Especially guys who still use their "mommy" to cook/clean/wash their clothes/do whatever isn't especially fun for them - while they play video games and party. The birth rate in Italy is less than replacement rate - because Italian women don't want to marry "mama's boys" like this. And we are closing in on Italy. I'm not sure parents owe kids much - but I draw the line at a decent education. And then kids should be on their own.

Perhaps we should have a little test. Like - you know you're doing too much for your kids when you're giving them money - and...

They have an iPhone they pay more than $100/month for...

They don't do their own laundry...

They don't know how to cook a simple meal - can only order take-out pizza...

They spend anything on Zynga...

I'm sure the rest of you here can come up with other ideas. Robyn

Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
About the 20/30 year olds still at home - I have one out of the nest and 2 still in college, but a friend of mine (a financial advisor) who has a young adult meandering through his college education mentioned something that I found quite interesting. He says that the younger generation will have to be working alot longer than our generation, so he's quite willing to cut his children some slack at the beginning of their working lives, while they're still trying to find a good career fit in this transitional economy. His son has finally landed into studying accounting and will graduate soon.

Also, remember that historically, throughout many cultures, multi-generational living was not only normal, it was encouraged. It makes sense on many levels (economically, ecologically, educationally, for families staying close, etc.).
I don't think I'd be too keen about my sex life if I was 25 and living in my parents' house - or if my elderly parents were living with me. What do you guys do about that? Robyn

Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,561 times
Visit your local recruiter. During the "Great Depression" the lines at the various recruiters were long with young men looking for a cot and 3 meals plus a buck in their pockets. I would not wait too long as the military will soon be cutting way, way back. Also, children who can make the cut and qualify should consider emigrating themselves to Australia and start anew. Learning skills is essential in college or in tech schools. English literature majors et al are going to find tough going. Worse, many lost jobs will never come back especially in real estate, mortgage banking and a host of others connected to real estate.
This is not our grandparents "recession/depression". This is different given we have shipped so many jobs to Asia and Latin America and continue to deindustrialize our country.
"Want fries with that?"

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM

13 posts, read 31,028 times
Yeah you're right. right now I have a new 5 yr old who is to start school. It scares me what is out there. I am leaning toward private. I would go with home school, but I work. And to answer your question U are not an old fart, just wise with experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville