Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

Of the two, though I have not owned an X-Type, I would go with the Land Rover, but find a good mechanic, since the dealerships are somewhat useless in doing anything but replacing a part under warranty, which is probably the majority of their business. If you want a Rover, though, I'd be more inclined to look at the Range Rover as the fit and finish was better than the Discovery, unless you need the jump seats in the Disco, since the RR will only seat five.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Thanks everyone for responding, I learned quite a bit of new things about both cars. I decided to go with the X-Type, I think it will be perfect for my needs.

Seeing many $9-12K for used models, it could be a great buy for the price.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So they say. I think there are a few weak points that need maintenance such as the timing belt and the control arms, but it is what it is. The one I have now has 134K on it and only in the past year I have I done anything to it outside what regular maintenance calls for.

It can't be beat in the snowy conditions and putting 5K to 6K a year on it, I don't think you have much to worry about unless you purchase a ragged one.
The point is, examples of the cars he's looking at aren't guaranteed to be maintenance nightmares any more than an example of the car YOU own is guaranteed to be reliable and inexpensive to own. So if he's looking at A or B, then telling him he should get C is not helpful, and the logic behind it isn't solid.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The point is, examples of the cars he's looking at aren't guaranteed to be maintenance nightmares any more than an example of the car YOU own is guaranteed to be reliable and inexpensive to own. So if he's looking at A or B, then telling him he should get C is not helpful, and the logic behind it isn't solid.
Oh OK, excuse me

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Thanks Merc, I was trying to make it clear to people that even though many vehicles are more reliable than the X and the Rover, those are the two I had my choices narrowed to and didn't wznt to compare others. I just have a thing for British cars

I knew Id get the "just buy a Toyota" sooner or later, but I was expecting that. It's funny, everyone and their brother told me how horrible the Lotus reliability would be before I got one. Four years later the Elise has had zero issues.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,938 times
Sorry I'm late with this but I think you made a good choice NSX.

I know folks tend to say the Jags are unreliable, but that's not been my personal experience at all. I have a 2004 X-Type and love the car. Mechanically, it's been excellent....I have had only three small problems (1) the passenger door lock rod came undone and I fixed that myself (2) had a battery light come on sporadically recently - turned out to be the stock battery ready to short and a new battery corrected it (3) my EMC needed reflashed....free of charge.

As far as it running in the snow goes.....the car is awesome. The low center of gravity makes it feel much more stable than any of the SUVs I've owned and it simply plows through the heavy stuff like a tank. Last winter saw us get 3 feet of snow in 3 days and the X-type handled it better than our Jeep Cherokee or Ford 4x4 truck. I do however put 4 dedicated winter tread tyres on the car for winter.

On the downside....the close-to-the-tyre fender wells do tend to load up with snow/ice and you've got to make sure the wheels stay clear of packed snow (I shoveled snow one day and happened to get a shovel load into the mag wheel openings) or else it will feel like a wheel is out of balance.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Thanks Merc, I was trying to make it clear to people that even though many vehicles are more reliable than the X and the Rover, those are the two I had my choices narrowed to and didn't wznt to compare others. I just have a thing for British cars

I knew Id get the "just buy a Toyota" sooner or later, but I was expecting that. It's funny, everyone and their brother told me how horrible the Lotus reliability would be before I got one. Four years later the Elise has had zero issues.
Perceptions are built over years of brand loyalty.

Speaking as someone that follows both industry quality studies quite closely and (for a living) sees a whole bunch of data that the public never sees....a lot of quality opinions are based upon YEARS ago and not a more current state of things.

MY advice:
1) Avoid new models unless they are minor updates, for 2 years.
2) Consider domestic since Toyota tends to have a bit of a markup for their PAST quality advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar