Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
and why are they unloved in the UK?
Mainly because it is perceived as ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I have no dog in the fight, but JD Power and other ratings on Jaguar compare favorably with their peers:-
2006 - Say What? Jaguar Tops German Quality Rating
2008 - Jaguar Leaps To First In J.D. Power Rankings; Buick Ties Jag
2009 - Jaguar, the Most Dependable Car. Really. - NYTimes.com
2010 - 2012 Jaguar XF Reliability | U.S. News Best Cars
JD Powers data shouldn't be trusted. Some, like the last link you provide, reflect an assessment after just a few months of ownership.

JD Powers ratings include data on just 46,000 cars. That total sample size is too small in my view to present an accurate picture for vehicles of smaller volume. I would not be surprised if their assessment of Jaguar is based on well under 100 responses.

Consumer Reports data is based on over 1M responses from its subscribers.

I don't believe for a second that Jaguar ever has, or ever will, be first in any quality assessment where quality includes reliability.

I owned a 2000 Jaguar S-type 4.0L, bought nearly new at 3,000 miles and finally sold with 127,000 miles. I really enjoyed the car. It was not a nightmare, and didn't strand me, but it came close. Two thermostats failed in the first 50,000 miles and I limped into the dealer when the second one failed. I think after the 2nd one Jaguar improved the part and the engine was trouble free after that. Other parts, such as the shifter linkage and driver's power window failed, but they were tolerable repairs.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
From those prices, it looks like you can't even give away these cars. However, aren't used car prices very low in general in the UK?
It really depends on the car.

Some marques, or some models hold their prices well.

A very big determining factor over here is how fuel efficient the car is. Diesels are more popular here even though diesel costs a bit more than petrol (gas).

Regular gas costs the equivalent of $8.10 a US gallon.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Here's Autocar's take on it;

Jaguar S-type car reviews & latest news from the experts at Autocar

Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I have no dog in the fight, but JD Power and other ratings on Jaguar compare favorably with their peers:-
2006 - Say What? Jaguar Tops German Quality Rating
2008 - Jaguar Leaps To First In J.D. Power Rankings; Buick Ties Jag
2009 - Jaguar, the Most Dependable Car. Really. - NYTimes.com
2010 - 2012 Jaguar XF Reliability | U.S. News Best Cars
Your first link doesn't merely measure reliability; it measures reliability, quality (without really defining what "quality" is -- leather versus cloth?) and service. Jaguar scored particularly high in service which apparently boosted the score.

The second and third are JD Power scores, and I have some issues with their methodology. It only measures quality after 3 years. It doesn't measure the cost of repairs, or repairs per mile (is a Jag likely to be driven fewer miles per year than a Ford or Honda?). It doesn't even try to capture long-term repair costs and the OP is looking at a car that's 12, verging on 13 model years old (or at least he was until it apparenlty sold). I'll take JDP's word for it that owning a Jag for 3 years may be a relatively painless experience for the average Jag owner, whatver his or habits may be. But that doesn't really say much about the experience of owning one that rolled off the line over a decade ago.

And your final link has this to say: "The 2012 Jaguar XF reliability score of 5.0 out of 10 is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS)." I'm not sure how 5.0 out of 10 compares against other marques but it doesn't strike me as something to crow about on first impression. But to give some perspective, the 2012 Accord earned a 9.0 out of 10.

I don't really have a dog in this fight either. I kinda like Jags. I like the design direction they've taken in the last few years, I agree that Ford is the best thing that has happened to Jag in a long time, and now it looks like Tata will be good stewards of the brand too. I even think the S-type is kinda cool even as most think it's fugly or at best awkward. But the OP would be getting himself into a lot more than just a redecorated Ford when it comes to maintenance costs. I've had my share of "fickle European-marque car that's 12+ years old" ownership experiences; it can be both a rewarding and infuriating experience, sometimes vascillating wildly from one to the other on any given week.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Oh and SD4020, with regard to your rep comment: relax dude. It's not like I called your mother an a-hole or something.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Its not a very good car, at the time totally outclassed by the 5 series and GS at the time. Reliability got better later model years. They are simply very problematic and don't hold up well.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
craigslist is full of scams listing vehicles that are way underpriced.
This one looked like the typical scam. Craigslist here routinely shows vehicles that are obviously not even on the island - you can tell by the vegetation/buildings in the background.

Always verify the VIN (in person) and call a local police department and ask if the vehicle has been reported stolen. You can also call the local DMV and do the same.

In Hawaii, stolen cars, altered VIN's and swapped license plates make this an almost mandatory thing to do before buying a used vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar