Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM

138 posts, read 348,534 times

Advertisements

I have this posted on my wall.

A little background: I'm 63, college graduate in "the summer of love," 1970 , owned a retail store for 20 years, was operations manager for a 10 store chain of retail stores for 9 years, blah blah blah and apply for a SEASONAL PART TIME POSITION as a cashier at Toy's R' Us for $8/hr and get this 2 days ago:

Quote:
November 21, 2010

Dear Edward:

We have received your application for the position of TOYS"R"US - SALES TEAM MEMBER-03868. Based upon your responses to our pre-qualification questions and/or work experience, we regret to inform you that we are pursuing other candidates for this position at this time.

We will retain your candidate profile in the database and may contact you if your qualifications match any future job opportunities. We thank you for your interest in Toys"R"Us, Inc., and wish you all the best in your job search.

Best regards,

Human Resources Department
Toys"R"Us, Inc.
And these STUPID "tests" they put you through online are really the pits. 3/4 of the people that work in these places probably can't read them to begin with. Almost every online application has them ....

Maybe they think I'm only interested because I'm a dirty old man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
The key to passing those tests is to answer on the extreme of whatever answer you pick. For example: Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree - always choose Strongly.

If you do a search for "unicru", you'll find the answer key online.

I've taken several and they want you to answer in a way in which the customer is always right, where you won't make waves, you love taking on extra work, creating challenges for yourself, will snitch on your coworkers, etc.

Bottomline is - you don't answer truthfully and you must play this off in the interview as well.

I feel bad for all the young people trying to get their first job who take this test really believing the company's lies about there is no "right or wrong" answers. Yeah, right.

Thankfully, I only took about 4 of them before some people an another messageboard told me the truth and provided a link to the unicru answer key.

These tests really should be outlawed.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The key to passing those tests is to answer on the extreme of whatever answer you pick. For example: Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree - always choose Strongly.

If you do a search for "unicru", you'll find the answer key online.

I've taken several and they want you to answer in a way in which the customer is always right, where you won't make waves, you love taking on extra work, creating challenges for yourself, will snitch on your coworkers, etc.

Bottomline is - you don't answer truthfully and you must play this off in the interview as well.

I feel bad for all the young people trying to get their first job who take this test really believing the company's lies about there is no "right or wrong" answers. Yeah, right.

Thankfully, I only took about 4 of them before some people an another messageboard told me the truth and provided a link to the unicru answer key.

These tests really should be outlawed.
Oh POOP! <"S-Word" got censored - wouldn't want all the unemployed adults to see that word! Might corrupt their minds. >

Wish I had this info 24 weeks ago. MANY of the tests were NOT Unicru but very similar. I think I learned my lesson. This reminds me of my Kollige Daze!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 AM

87 posts, read 652,169 times
Wow! I just did the search under "unicru"--scary and fascinating. If you're educated, you're more likely to have independent ideas and critical thinking skills. Big box stores are only seeking automatons.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Oh POOP! <"S-Word" got censored - wouldn't want all the unemployed adults to see that word! Might corrupt their minds. >

Wish I had this info 24 weeks ago. MANY of the tests were NOT Unicru but very similar. I think I learned my lesson. This reminds me of my Kollige Daze!
It's still not too late for some companies to retake them again.

I wanted to work for H&M, but took the test before I knew the "rules" of the test. Can't take it again for six months.

Only Macys and Bloomingdales keep your test scores indefinitely that I know of.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Wow! I just did the search under "unicru"--scary and fascinating. If you're educated, you're more likely to have independent ideas and critical thinking skills. Big box stores are only seeking automatons.
What's even worse is that you know if these "tests" had been available 50 years ago many of the people working there wouldn't be.

These tests are stupid and now they're everywhere. After taking the first four tests one night, I had vented about it on a message board I visit and they told me the deal about them. Right after that I started doing a search on "personality tests", "unicru", etc., and found other forums discussing the same thing.

Once I got the answer key, I kinda got an idea of what they wanted. I also worked in retail previously, so I also knew what was expected as the "customer being God" thing and the answers were easy.

I remember taking one years ago for Rite Aid and they asked me if I saw a "family member" stealing or knew they were doing something illegal would I turn them in. I said "yes", but of course I wouldn't. Actually, it depends on what type of "crime" they're doing, but more than likely not.

The questions are stupid. All of these "personality" tests are ridiculous. Thank goodness they weren't around during the building of Ford Motors, GE, Kraft, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, etc., or we would not be the super power we are today.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It's still not too late for some companies to retake them again.

I wanted to work for H&M, but took the test before I knew the "rules" of the test. Can't take it again for six months.

Only Macys and Bloomingdales keep your test scores indefinitely that I know of.

Most of the ones I have done make you wait 3 months to 6months. I guess applying using a different email address would get around that unless they ask for a SSN which a lot of applications do now.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Most of the ones I have done make you wait 3 months to 6months. I guess applying using a different email address would get around that unless they ask for a SSN which a lot of applications do now.
Yeah, I told my sister to "test" it out by using a fake name, ssn, and email address. If they like you, they tell you. If they don't, then you'll get an email like the one I got from H&M telling me "thanks, but no thanks."

I'm just glad I was able to find out the real deal before I took all of them.

Try the Wireless retailers like AT&T, TMoble, Sprint, etc., in your area. Yes, they have tests too.

Also, see if the Apple Store is hiring for the holidays. I don't know if you need to take a test with them or not though.

You'll do well on the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search