Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

A friend told me not to do this and I used to do this but I've decided to take it off as volunteer. If you volunteer, what do you do? After all, a resume is a marketing tool and I may as well look like I'm currently employed, even if for free and part-time. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Why not? I even put down my service as an assistant coach in my daughters' competitive FLL robotics teams (which came in 2nd place in Alabama).

I'm with you, if it helps, if there are key words a resume scanner may pick up, or activities which show leadership or initiative, why not?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I tried doing it without listing it as volunteer work once, and when they asked me how much I had been making in the position and I told them it was a volunteer position, they immediately ended the interview. I would rather that they had rejected me from the start and saved me the cost of gas and parking fees to get to teh interview.

After that I began listing it as volunteer work. As long as I can verify the applicant did the work and get a good reference, I consider it on the same level as an internship. In other words I'll definitely use it in my hiring decision as having experience.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM

229 posts, read 573,863 times
It is always best to list all your skills. Volunteer work shows you have dedication and are interested in helping others, which is looked at favorably by, if not all, most employers. Definetely list it.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,835 times
I agree that Volunteer work should be listed as it shows that you have experience in certain areas and can fill the void in a resume if you have been unemployed for a while.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks all, but my question is...do I have to list it as volunteer on my resume? Can't I just put the name of the organization, what I do and dates of service? When they ask me how much my salary is, would it be too flip to say the good feeling of giving back to the community? I know it's odd, but isn't the idea to get an interview? Considering many ads say "the unemployed need not apply," I wouldn't even have a chance if I say it's only volunteer.

I'd risk the interview ending immediately when I say it's volunteering, as most IVs haven't turned out that well for me lately (not that I've been on many).

Yeah, looks good to do something for the community, but sure looks better if it appears I am currently being paid for the work I do.

Oh, and another thing, I was shocked when someone else told me to put "disability" to explain any gaps in employment. Could that possibly help me get a job? Do they have a quota to fill?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks all, but my question is...do I have to list it as volunteer on my resume? Can't I just put the name of the organization, what I do and dates of service? When they ask me how much my salary is, would it be too flip to say the good feeling of giving back to the community? I know it's odd, but isn't the idea to get an interview? Considering many ads say "the unemployed need not apply," I wouldn't even have a chance if I say it's only volunteer.

I'd risk the interview ending immediately when I say it's volunteering, as most IVs haven't turned out that well for me lately (not that I've been on many).

Yeah, looks good to do something for the community, but sure looks better if it appears I am currently being paid for the work I do.
I wouldn't say the pay is "giving back to the community" but rather that the pay has been to keep your skills fresh. I still would list it as volunteer work, but address the keeping skills fresh component in the cover letter. Good luck!

BTW--I'm still floored that comapnies state "unemployed need not apply" in their ads. Of course it's their perrogative, but it seems like they'd be losing out on a lot of strong potnetial candidates.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't say the pay is "giving back to the community" but rather that the pay has been to keep your skills fresh. I still would list it as volunteer work, but address the keeping skills fresh component in the cover letter. Good luck!
Excellent! Thanks!

Quote:
BTW--I'm still floored that comapnies state "unemployed need not apply" in their ads. Of course it's their perrogative, but it seems like they'd be losing out on a lot of strong potnetial candidates.
Sad but true. That is why I wonder if I MUST list it as volunteer. I love the "keeping my skills fresh" answer, and I could always fess up in a phone interview after I've "wowed" them (yeah, right) with my other brilliant chatter.

Actually, I am in the process of fabricating this whole story, which is partly true. Yes, I am divorced but not recently. Yes, I thought I could get by for life on money I had and supplement with a PT job with benefits and discovered I couldn't, hence getting back into the work force, so it would be more like a white lie. I figure everyone else lies and I'm tired of being so dang honest.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
I put down my volunteer work as well as the three internships I did in college-one which was a paid job that I stayed at for 5 years. I was a stay at home Mom for 12 years. I was a Girl Scout Leader for 13. I held offices within the Service Unit-such as science coordinator where I set up events dealing with science and the girls earned badges. I was also on our school district's transportation advisory committee where we put together the handbook and policies for the transportation department to follow. My one internship was with a Minor League Baseball team and they liked me so much, I stayed on long after the internship was over-then I became a season ticket holder.

So while I wasn't paid, I showed that I was still involved with projects. I handled money, event planning, ordering of supplies, wrote newsletters, maintained a data base. So it shows I was keeping my skills up to date. I find though it's the short sighted interviewer who doesn't think volunteer work is worth anything-those I've run across too. I'd list volunteer work without hesitation on a resume.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Many companies look favorable on people who are involved in their community and if you work in sales, pr, marketing and other areas - it is a definite benefit to you to put this on your resume. It shows involvement with other people and selfishly on thier end - contact. Your involvement only makes the company look better.

You can put it at the end of your resume under Other Activities even if you no longer do the activity, you can put when you did it in a time frame even if it was a once a year event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search