Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM

43 posts, read 358,240 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to know if a lot of people used recruiting firms to get a job. I posted my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder and am getting many calls from recruiting firms setting me up for interviews for the kind of jobs I'm looking for.

Is there a catch? Do you use their services? What are the best recruiting companies?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Absolutly, I have had a few job offers using these sorts of services. Im sure they get paid by the employer but I dont see that because if their offer is low due to the head hunters fees I wont take the job. If they can still offer a competitive salery and benifits despite the head hunter then thats perfect.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
I've made use of headhunters in the past, as have some of my colleagues. Some are great and some are rather useless. If nothing else, if one contacts you and has a lead - follow it up. If it turns out to be something you're not interested in, then you can move along. But I wouldn't close any doors before seeing what's on the other side.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
I think it's worth mentioning that recruiters are generally known as those who work for employment agencies and accept applications from employees at all levels, while headhunters are those who actually go out and find employees of middle-senior ranks in higher salary brackets. The latter are like poachers.

Now to answer the OP, yes why not use recruiting firms? They have access to a much wider network of employers that an individual generally does, so why not use them? I've used them in the past before my current job and found they were able to place me quickly, albeit at a relatively entry level position. Still, it got my career rolling at a .com start up, helping me springboard into another online company soon after.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Absolutely use recruiters - as long as they're legit. I once had a shady one waste my time by bringing me into his office so he could sweet talk me into paying him some ridiculous "fee" for his service. Real recruiters get contracted and paid by the companies in which they place candidates. I found my first job in the Bay area through a recruiter who found me online, and I still get contacted periodically. It's usually a win-win.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 AM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Yes; A reputable firm has me setup for an interview next week for a supply chain manager job with a mining company, starting salary $70k full benefits all the way. They target current and former military officers (which I am) and typically recruit for positions in operations/production management, store management, sales, logistics, etc. I don't pay anything for the service. Essentially if I get hired then my recruiter gets paid by the hiring company making for a win-win situation.

So far I knocked my phone interview out of the ballpark, and if I maintain that in the face-to-face then an offer is likely.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
You can't avoid it. You cant tell if the opening is by an employer or a recruiting firm, unless you know them. But there is no harm in trying.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know if a lot of people used recruiting firms to get a job. I posted my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder and am getting many calls from recruiting firms setting me up for interviews for the kind of jobs I'm looking for.

Is there a catch? Do you use their services? What are the best recruiting companies?

Thanks for the input.
Monster, Careerbuilder etc., are not effective for that very reason. You'll get calls from recruiters seeking to fill jobs that have nothing to do with your line of work. The last time I tried a site like that a few years ago, I got bombarded by recruiters for sales jobs. I'm in publishing.

In fact, job postings in general aren't effective, simply because you're playing a numbers game. For every job listing you see on a job site, Craigslist, etc., you could be competing with 100 people, depending on what your field is. And if the ad is blind (doesn't say the company), you might be sending your resume to a recruiter. Networking would be a much better use of your time.

If you don't have a network already in place, think about the kinds of organizations you'd like to work with and approach them. Sign up for LinkedIn and join a group that is focused on your line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search