Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 AM

677 posts, read 1,620,512 times

Advertisements

I swear I saw another thread like this, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm wondering what your take is on recruiting firms. I have an interview with one on Tuesday. I'm hoping that it works out, because it would be a huge help to have administrative experience (even if it's only temporary) instead of only customer service on my resume.

I am a bit afraid of wasting my time, though. I've heard that some places are alright, some are terrible....I just don't know what to believe!

Please help me out City Data! Have you had success through places like this? Obviously it depends on which one, but I'd just like an overview on what to expect. Of course, I always go in expecting nothing so I'm less let down if the worst happens, but I'd still like an idea on my chances of actually getting a decent job through a recruiting firm.

Thanks, have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
90% waste of time especially those soft interviews. They will pump you for information about where you are applying so they can market their company to them they will ask for names of previous superivors to call and sell to them they will pester your references. The interview is for their benefit not yours. I finally put my foot down and said no to soft interviews.

The agency that actually got me a job saw I was a match, set up a phone screen and interview with the client and that was it. I've found the chain agencies especially useless.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times
I went to a few recruiting firms in Boston and it didn't help me with land a job. However, when I worked my last job in Albany, New York they used a staffing firm and it worked out okay for most people.

Depending on where you are, I would post in the appropriate forum and ask locals about said agency.

I'll DM you with a website where you might be able to check on local businesses.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM

677 posts, read 1,620,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
90% waste of time especially those soft interviews. They will pump you for information about where you are applying so they can market their company to them they will ask for names of previous superivors to call and sell to them they will pester your references. The interview is for their benefit not yours. I finally put my foot down and said no to soft interviews.

The agency that actually got me a job saw I was a match, set up a phone screen and interview with the client and that was it. I've found the chain agencies especially useless.
That's what I'm afraid of I don't want this place to bother my references...I'm not sure how to tell between a firm that would actually help and one that would create more problems than it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I went to a few recruiting firms in Boston and it didn't help me with land a job. However, when I worked my last job in Albany, New York they used a staffing firm and it worked out okay for most people.

Depending on where you are, I would post in the appropriate forum and ask locals about said agency.

I'll DM you with a website where you might be able to check on local businesses.

Good luck!
Hmm, I may post in the Milwaukee forum asking about this. Thanks for the tip I looked on that website (and google, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before lol) but couldn't find any reviews for this place. Nothing good, nothing bad, nothing at all. How strange.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes people don't review places that are okay. It depends how active people in your city are on the website.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Don't overlook recruiting firms. One day they could be looking for someone exactly like you. They have dozens of applications but a typical recruiter is only looking to fill 2 or 3 openings at a time. I'm sure some recruiters will confirm or deny this.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Agree w/all of this. I also got sick of this "meet and greet" BS - did a number of them, went in dressed nicely, ready to talk business and why I'm a great candidate....and they asked me little other than "where did you apply" etc etc. There didn't really appear to be much genuine interest in getting me a job. ie they got me nowhere and wasted my time, so I no longer do it either. The bulk are IMO slugs.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM

274 posts, read 998,360 times
i had a great experience with recruiting firms - you just got to find the right ones and they are out there. in fact, the ones i worked with presented plenty of great opportunities for me that matched what i was looking for and the salary ranges i was shooting for as well. that said, i know there are a vast number of crappy ones that do that "meet and greet" stuff and just randomly try to place you with any opening and not what you want. you need to filter these kinds of firms out and move on to the next.

some firms interview jobseekers to see if they're even worthwhile to pursue as a potential candidate for one or more of their clients. some are more picky than others. consider this as a prescreener because most wouldn't want to waste your, theirs, and the client's time if you aren't even qualified for a particular job opening at a certain company.

reason why recruiting firms are a worthwhile consideration for you as another resource for your job hunt is because most firms have a solid connection into their client companies that are "contracted" or utilize their services to find good candidates. most times, they're able to know what the employers are looking for in a candidate and what the hiring/interview process is and will be able to provide you a 'cheat sheet' of information about the company that will better your chances of getting hired versus an external applicant who applies blindly.

understand that recruiting firms have absolutely no control of the types of positions available or the amount of openings for their client companies. whatever is available they will attempt to seek a qualified candidate for that position. and at the end of the day, they typically get their commission by placing a candidate which the employer pays as a "finder's fee" so that's why some recruiting firms are more pushy than others to just find you any random job despite whether or not it's something you want. stick with the firms that are personable, that listen to YOU, and those that actually spend time to help you out and coach you through the process.

there are good ones out there. you just got to filter out all the useless ones and get to the good ones. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search