Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Say last week you received your 60 notice (WARN Notice) to be laid off from current company.

If this week you are interviewing with a new company, Can that new company find out if you are on the list to be laid off at your current company?

What if they ask? Do you tell them "Yes" and potentially cause them to raise a yellow flag and also increase their leverage for salary negotiations?
Do you ask them why they are asking (which essentially tells them "yes")?
Do you lie and say no? (Which puts you at risk should they be able to check on your answer - which is what this thread is all about.)

So, can they find out if you tell them "No" if the answer is really "Yes"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
No they will not be able to find out unless you disclose it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I have never heard or experienced that anybody ever asked if you were about to be laid off. The question has always been "Why are you looking for a job?" That's it.

The standard answer should be "I am looking for career advancement."

Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Sometimes notices of 60 people being laid off make it into the press. There's also word of mouth, you never know who someone's brother-in-law is.

Even if it made it into the HR person's ear, they have no reason to know that you are specifically one of the people who got a notice unless you tell them.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM

56 posts, read 163,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sometimes notices of 60 people being laid off make it into the press. There's also word of mouth, you never know who someone's brother-in-law is.

Even if it made it into the HR person's ear, they have no reason to know that you are specifically one of the people who got a notice unless you tell them.
Purely out of curiosity, if someone was on their way out as a part of a mass layoff, would it affect them?

I'm a business analyst, so my skills are extremely high demand, but I'm curious about jobs lower on the totem pole.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
if someone was on their way out as a part of a mass layoff, would it affect them?
They probably would have to find another job.

Do you think the HR manager asking the question has a means to find out if an employee (at another company) is going to get laid off?

Can one company's HR department provide this information to another company's HR department? Is this information transferable?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM

58 posts, read 56,954 times
I wouldnt see why it would even matter.

I hired someone recently who told me he was about to be laid off due to his department down sizing, he had the skill set to match what I needed, he passed the drug and background checks, and was offered the position.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They probably would have to find another job.

Do you think the HR manager asking the question has a means to find out if an employee (at another company) is going to get laid off?

Can one company's HR department provide this information to another company's HR department? Is this information transferable?
You could call your HR department pretending to be a company interviewing yourself and see what they tell you. Maybe ask someone on here who is in HR what the common questions on.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
You could leave it generic and say there are possible layoffs, discussions of future layoffs.

Sometimes you could be on the layoff list but if you find a position in current company within that timeframe, you could transfer and stay employed. This is why you could be correct in saying "possible layoffs". ONLY IF ASKED and ONLY if you choose to disclose.

FYI...hopefully you get a good severence pck in 60 days. it would be great to time your exist so you get the severance pckg and then start a new job after that.

A lot of companies offer a bonus for those that stay in addition to severance since they know many will jump ship during that 60 day notice. Bonus really applies when they need you to stay for 60 days to complete some needed work. otherwise they would be glad for you to leave sooner of the 60 day notice is forced due to union rules or similar reqts.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
If it was a mjor company in town and was shutting down a plant, then the layoffs would probably be in the news and the hiring person would know about it and likely ask if he saw you worked for that company.

I don't think its something to be ashamed of, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search