Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 31,559 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Currently I live in Florida and my husband started new job in Chicago and right now he is commuting. Our plan is that I find a job and move there, we cant live just with his salary.

I am applying for all jobs online for last two months and I didn't hear from anybody. As my contact address I have my Florida address and I did explain in Cover Letter my situation and offered to cover all travel expenses for interviews. Are they evan considering me if I'm out of state candidate?

I am working in investment banking, does anybody have any idea what else should I do except keep looking online?

Thank you in advance for ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
I was in a similar situation last year. My current job at the time was in St. Louis and I was applying for jobs in Chicago. The key is to get a phone interview secured. Once you have a phone interview and you impress them on the phone, they won't care where you're located. As long as you can take the time and money to go there yourself, why should they care? Try calling some of these companies that you're applying at and suggest doing a phone interview. I actually ended up getting my new job through a recruiter, so maybe look into getting one of those as well. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Finding work out-of-state can be tricky, but it is possible. I'm currently also trying to find a job in Chicago from Michigan and I thought already having an internship in the Chicago area would give me an advantage, but I've still been passed up for a lot of work opportunities.

If you continue having issues finding work in Chicago from Florida, your best option might be moving to Chicago and then applying to jobs as a Chicago resident.

Also, is your husband currently living in Chicago working? If you really need a job lined up before you move, maybe you could put his Chicago address as yours? It might make interviews more of a challenge, but could up your chances of finding a job.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

10 posts, read 31,559 times
Thank you both for your replays.

I was thinking about it but I am not sure how to find a good recruiter. Any suggestions?

My husband got a job as a pilot so he is commuting and from time to time when he needs to stay over night in Chicago he goes to hotel or friend so he really doesn't have an address. I was thinking about using his friend's address but that would mean that when somebody calls me I have to tell that I really don't live there and I'm not sure how would that sound.

I would really like if I can find job before moving and not leaving job with good benefits and going to nothing. I feel bad because for lots of jobs it's written that they would consider just local applicants.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
I'm not really clear on why you even need to move and give up your job since your husband is a pilot.

Is his base Chicago? Because you just said he stays in a hotel or with a friend if he has to spend a night in Chicago.

Doesn't sound like he spends more than a night or two there.

Lots of pilots live in other parts of the country from where their base is.

Unless you want to leave FL I guess I don't see why he can't commute and you stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search