Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

18 posts, read 36,300 times

Advertisements

I interviewed over the phone today for an AmeriCorps VISTA position in a town I used to live in that's 2.5 hours away from where I'm currently living. I think the interview went well. They will be making a decision on who to hire tomorrow, and they have already interviewed other candidates. The guy who interviewed me asked if it was possible for me to visit the facility for a tour & to meet staff before they make a decision. It would be very difficult (but not impossible) for me to travel up there, so I asked if not being able to make it would be a dealbreaker. He said no.

They won't be able to reimburse me for travel. The position is a great opportunity, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get it. I know the town in which it's located very well as I went to college there and lived there for a while afterwards.

Is it worth making the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp67 View Post
so I asked if not being able to make it would be a dealbreaker. He said no.

They won't be able to reimburse me for travel.

Is it worth making the trip?
I'd say no. If they are willing to consider you without the visit then why travel on your own dime for another chance to get screened out?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
2.5 hours isn't too bad at all. Why wouldn't you go? No matter what they say, not showing up (even asking if it was necessary) will do nothing but hurt your chances of getting the job. Why would they hire someone who isn't even willing to drive and visit a place they will work for the next few years?

You not showing up for this will raise some major red flags to them.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would they hire someone who isn't even willing to drive and visit a place they will work for the next few years?
Sorry, I should have clarified - it's only for a year contract.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified - it's only for a year contract.
ok...thanks....

I would still do it. I would want to meet the people I would be working with anyway. You might get there and find out life would be hell for that year.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Exactly what reimbursement are you looking for for a 2.5 hour trip?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly what reimbursement are you looking for for a 2.5 hour trip?
Gas.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Gas.
It doesn't work that way. You knew the distance when you applied.

It would be foolish not to do the drive and check the place out.

What was your game plan if you got offered the job?

Would you move for a job that was only a contract position?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 PM

70 posts, read 299,471 times
If you can't afford the travel then it was just bad timing....but if you can afford the travel I say go....I see your chances as greatly diminished if you choose not to do a face to face...

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 PM

331 posts, read 956,799 times
If you don't make the drive, I doubt you will be considered for the position. If you can't afford to drive 5 hrs (total), then how are you going to afford moving expenses (deposits, etc.)? We are talking about less than $50 worth of gas, not a $500 plane ticket plus rental car, hotel, food, airport shuttle, etc. I recently turned down an out of state interview for a position because I would have incurred all of the expenses I just stated above. They were interviewing 7 other candidates and the job wasn't a great fit, so I determined it wouldn't be wise to spend the money for an interview. To be honest, I think it reflects poorly on you to even ask if it was necessary for you to come. Do you want the job or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search