Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,806 times

Advertisements

Hi. I had a great interview and really felt I would get this job. This past Friday, the people I listed as references called me to say that the background check company had called each of them for a reference but because of meetings, etc. no one ever had a chance to actually talk to the people calling for a reference. Friday night at 530, I received an email from the company saying that "it was a very hard decision but they had chosen another candidate." At 9pm that night, I received an email from the HR lady adding "Please know how hard this decision was to make." I wrote back saying how much I appreciated the interview and the note to me about not getting the job and how they were really great people. (They were. This would have been my dream job.)

ANYHOW to get to my point, 2 of my references called me today, Monday, to say the background place was STILL calling them to get a reference on me. One actually spoke to the person and gave them a good reference. My question is...why would they still be trying to get a reference check on me since I did not get the job? Is it just because perhaps they have to "end" their assignment with the company and obtain the references anyhow? Hope this make sense.

Note - this was the only interview I have had...so the background check people would not have been calling about any other possible job.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
maybe they're testing you, see how you react when they drop the hammer. a test of character. You passed the first part with flying colors. To seal the deal I would suggest showing up at the company doorstep tomorrow morning wearing nothing but a red bow around your neck and carrying a box of donuts in front of your privates. good luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
They had already put in the order for the reference checking company to do the check before they decided on the other candidate or decided to still do it incase candidate 1 declines or fails spectacularly in the first few weeks.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
It could be any number of things but these are my top two:

1. They had not yet made the background check folks aware of their decision.
2. They anticipate other suitable positions to open soon and want to have you already checked out for when they do.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40 View Post
Hi. I had a great interview and really felt I would get this job. This past Friday, the people I listed as references called me to say that the background check company had called each of them for a reference but because of meetings, etc. no one ever had a chance to actually talk to the people calling for a reference. Friday night at 530, I received an email from the company saying that "it was a very hard decision but they had chosen another candidate." At 9pm that night, I received an email from the HR lady adding "Please know how hard this decision was to make." I wrote back saying how much I appreciated the interview and the note to me about not getting the job and how they were really great people. (They were. This would have been my dream job.)

ANYHOW to get to my point, 2 of my references called me today, Monday, to say the background place was STILL calling them to get a reference on me. One actually spoke to the person and gave them a good reference. My question is...why would they still be trying to get a reference check on me since I did not get the job? Is it just because perhaps they have to "end" their assignment with the company and obtain the references anyhow? Hope this make sense.

Note - this was the only interview I have had...so the background check people would not have been calling about any other possible job.

Thanks!
I would think because the background check company wants to get paid. Or knowing how the most people are in HR today are dolts, they never contacted the background check company to stop the background check.

A shame that the HR woman that sent you the email didn't just do the reference checks herself.

Sorry you were put through that but I'm guessing either a lack of communication by HR, or they want to get paid by completing the assignment.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
My guess is that they contracted the BI out to a third party who was not made aware that someone else was hired.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,806 times
You guys are awesome. Thanks for such quick responses. All make sense to me. I'll keep plugging away...take care.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40 View Post

Thanks!
well I'm glad they were honest with you, that they told you straight to your face that you did not get hired, because most employers will not tell you that, they string, tease and lead you on for weeks, months

Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
It's possible that the candidate that they selected won't work out for one reason or another and they'd like to have someone waiting in the wings that has already been checked out. Or, as JTGJR stated, they expect to have other positions available down the road and want to keep your name on file.

I conducted interviews for one vacancy a couple of years ago and by the time the person was actually hired we had two additional vacancies for the same classification. It made things much easier to have qualified candidates that had already been checked out only a phone call away.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
I wish more employers would honestly tell you to your face that you did not get hired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search