Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,977 times

Advertisements

Most employees have some sort of job application that you fill out, in lieu of a resume. But you still need to get off your butt and find someone who will actually give you an application to fill out if you are above having to do a resume. Good lord, at your age you should know nobody is going to come looking for you. If they ever do and check City Data, that would be a deal breaker for any company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
I have always held long term employment and never once did I get the job using a resume or application.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,449 times
for good-looking women they do not need a resume

Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
for good-looking women they do not need a resume

Of course why would a good looking women need a resume if she is interested in prostitution?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Of course why would a good looking women need a resume if she is interested in prostitution?
i'm talking about entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, fast-food, etc. It's easier for girls than guys to get those kind of jobs because so many hiring-managers, people in charge of human-resource departments, see and view girls as "Bait" to attract and lure more customers, more customers means more money, therefore more Business.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 30,551 times
How am I supposed to know where you live? if you live too far away I wont offer you the job.

A resume has so much vital information, it allows the hiring manager to weed out the ones who dont qualify.

What problem would one have about sending a resume?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSneaks View Post
How am I supposed to know where you live? if you live too far away I wont offer you the job.

A resume has so much vital information, it allows the hiring manager to weed out the ones who dont qualify.

What problem would one have about sending a resume?
I was talking about creative networking and not needing to send in a resume for a job.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Never sent in a resume in my life. When I wanted a job I walked in and asked if they were hiring (auto mechanic jobs). When I was doing IT work I would research companies in my area and call them up and introduced myself. Only had one job that was from networking through friends. I refuse to work more than 20 mins from my home and have always had my choice of job offers to pick from.

I now own my own business but the last job I held working for someone else I had to choose between three offers. I obviously took the highest paying which was also the closest to home.

My personal opinion is E-mail resumes are a waste of time. I've helped a number of friends find work and my advise to them is to find a company they want to work for then deliver your resume in person in a nice binder or simply call the company and ask to talk to the HR mgr.

It's far too easy for E-mails or a single sheet of paper to get lost on a managers desk. A binder sticks out and delivering it in person shows that you are a cut above the rest and truly interested. Some people just send out countless e-mails and hope something sticks. This is not the way to do it. Every person I have helped has gotten a job in the first 5 attempts and is almost always called for an interview.
You've got it nailed. Everyone does the e-mailing route. When I show up with a 3 ring binder outlining my role at every job I've had, along with certifications, credits, and even samples of previous work, I become a 3 dimensional candidate to that HR manager. Sending an e-mail... Psh, NEXT!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
It really depends upon the industry ... Since I work in the public sector (education), I am expected to have a resume, application, cover letter and college transcripts as everything is done by the book. Usually, public sector jobs and large private companies are strict about the application process for jobs and rarely could you get a job through networking alone (although it HELPS to network).

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You've got it nailed. Everyone does the e-mailing route. When I show up with a 3 ring binder outlining my role at every job I've had, along with certifications, credits, and even samples of previous work, I become a 3 dimensional candidate to that HR manager. Sending an e-mail... Psh, NEXT!
This might work for smaller companies. I once labored over my application and supporting materials and placed them into a professional binder. When I turned it into HR, the HR folks just dumped out all of my application materials out of the binder and handed me my empty binder back ... Having since worked in HR for a major city government, I know that the candidate's materials have to be copied and prepped for the various folks on the interview panel. We HATED having to remove the candidate's materials from those binders in the prepping process. The panel NEVER saw the slick binder but just a stapled stack of the candidate's materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search