Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know how many people have been able to land a interview without applying to a job with a resume? I really have come to the point in my life where I felt strange applying to jobs online and feel that i should be getting interviews in different ways. Something that I have refused to do this time around that I'm unemployed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
I've never gotten a job by sending in a resume. All of my jobs have been through my network. I think that's the norm.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've never gotten a job by sending in a resume. All of my jobs have been through my network. I think that's the norm.
I think once someone is close to 40 that should be the norm. That's why I defintely have been applying to jobs a lot less

Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think once someone is close to 40 that should be the norm. That's why I defintely have been applying to jobs a lot less
I have over a decade to go until I'm 40. In some sectors, age might make it more difficult to land a job by cold applications, but I don't think it has any affect on the ability to land a job by networking.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM

819 posts, read 1,593,172 times
You must still believe in the tooth fairy if you believe you do not have to have a resume to get a job. Just go stand outside of the local TV station and as the people there come and go to their jobs, inquire if they have any job opportunities for you. Bet it would work.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I think it depends on the job. At my workplace, a resume and cover letter are expected. We recently hired a manager who is probably in his 40s or 50s (I don't know, since it's not information that I have access to, and I would never ask), and he had a great resume and cover letter.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,782 times
Never sent in a resume in my life. When I wanted a job I walked in and asked if they were hiring (auto mechanic jobs). When I was doing IT work I would research companies in my area and call them up and introduced myself. Only had one job that was from networking through friends. I refuse to work more than 20 mins from my home and have always had my choice of job offers to pick from.

I now own my own business but the last job I held working for someone else I had to choose between three offers. I obviously took the highest paying which was also the closest to home.

My personal opinion is E-mail resumes are a waste of time. I've helped a number of friends find work and my advise to them is to find a company they want to work for then deliver your resume in person in a nice binder or simply call the company and ask to talk to the HR mgr.

It's far too easy for E-mails or a single sheet of paper to get lost on a managers desk. A binder sticks out and delivering it in person shows that you are a cut above the rest and truly interested. Some people just send out countless e-mails and hope something sticks. This is not the way to do it. Every person I have helped has gotten a job in the first 5 attempts and is almost always called for an interview.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would think that is the exception, not the norm. At least for a white collar job.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
I can only say that every job I have gotten post college has been through applying online.

The only jobs I got from walking into a place was at a pizza place in high school and a telemarketing place in college.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Never sent in a resume in my life. When I wanted a job I walked in and asked if they were hiring (auto mechanic jobs). When I was doing IT work I would research companies in my area and call them up and introduced myself. Only had one job that was from networking through friends. I refuse to work more than 20 mins from my home and have always had my choice of job offers to pick from.

I now own my own business but the last job I held working for someone else I had to choose between three offers. I obviously took the highest paying which was also the closest to home.

My personal opinion is E-mail resumes are a waste of time. I've helped a number of friends find work and my advise to them is to find a company they want to work for then deliver your resume in person in a nice binder or simply call the company and ask to talk to the HR mgr.

It's far too easy for E-mails or a single sheet of paper to get lost on a managers desk. A binder sticks out and delivering it in person shows that you are a cut above the rest and truly interested. Some people just send out countless e-mails and hope something sticks. This is not the way to do it. Every person I have helped has gotten a job in the first 5 attempts and is almost always called for an interview.
I agree, it has to be a different way for a company to find out about you other than just emailing a resume to a opening posted online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search