Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
for good-looking women they do not need a resume
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Of course why would a good looking women need a resume if she is interested in prostitution?
Quote:
i'm talking about entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, fast-food, etc. It's easier for girls than guys to get those kind of jobs because so many hiring-managers, people in charge of human-resource departments, see and view girls as "Bait" to attract and lure more customers, more customers means more money, therefore more Business.
I'm talking about corporate management positions in the high 5 figures to 6 figure salaries and never a gap in employment more referred by word of mouth or a one time customer luring you to their company based on the service you provide them and your professionalism. Not prostitution or McDonald's. The work speaks for itself.

Let me provide an example of something that happened in college. A friend of mine was taking a TV production class and as a final project they had to do an entire program - news, anything. She asked me if I would be in it for her and read the news and other things. So, I did it. The teacher was a producer at a local TV station and saw the video and offered me a job. I did all kinds of jobs and a lot of sports stories and interviews and live programs. off camera as well as on, voice overs. I was contacted by a newspaper from one of these live shows to write newspaper articles expanding on some of the ideas and did both jobs at the same time with blessing from both. From that I was contacted by someone in the government to produce videos for all the departments. A lot of what each did like where your water comes from and the process it goes through and how it end up in your tap. In the course of that I did other things which landed me work in doing proposals and corporate backgrounds and people backgrounds for bids and services and then websites for places all over the country which just segued to other jobs like grant writing and research and management in a variety of operations positions and acquisitions in fortune 100 companies because I had both a PR and Business background and segued on it's own where I am today. Not one of these jobs ever saw my resume -it was either someone saw the work or I was referred. Just last week I received a phone call from the Executive Director for a volunteer group job I did for 3 years about 2 years ago and was offered a paid position as a department director. She still remembered me after 2 years and I was only a volunteer then. So, don't think it's insane when people suggest getting involved in the community through volunteer work.

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-28-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I can definitely see getting a job via connections more than random postings on job sites on the internet, but (and hopefully I am not taking your title and post too literally) I would say you will still need a resume as once you have the "in", what do you do next... send the resume to your friend who forwards it to the hiring manager or tells you to send it directly. At least for larger companies. Maybe for a small firm that really knows you they might hire you without it, but I think you still need to have something.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I'm applying for a great job this next week where they said no resumes will be considered. They only want the application. And this is a job that pays almost 6 figures, I thought it was surprising.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm applying for a great job this next week where they said no resumes will be considered. They only want the application. And this is a job that pays almost 6 figures, I thought it was surprising.
In order to save both their time and yours they probably want to review the basic applications first before seeking further information.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just curious to know how many people have been able to land a interview without applying to a job with a resume? I really have come to the point in my life where I felt strange applying to jobs online and feel that i should be getting interviews in different ways. Something that I have refused to do this time around that I'm unemployed
99% of the time no resume needed.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:04 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
I depends on the industry. Still, networking is generally the best way to get an interview but 9 times out of 10 you will still need to hand someone a resume (or fill out an application that asks for the exact same stuff that would be on a resume) at some point. It's just that the resume stands a better chance if you've been endorsed by word-of-mouth before hand.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,621 times
Quote:
i'm talking about entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, fast-food, etc. It's easier for girls than guys to get those kind of jobs because so many hiring-managers, people in charge of human-resource departments, see and view girls as "Bait" to attract and lure more customers, more customers means more money, therefore more Business.
Yes, because good looking women only want to work in these fields...they don't ever want to graduate to mid-level employment type jobs, since its all about looks.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'm talking about corporate management positions in the high 5 figures to 6 figure salaries and never a gap in employment more referred by word of mouth or a one time customer luring you to their company based on the service you provide them and your professionalism. Not prostitution or McDonald's. The work speaks for itself.

Let me provide an example of something that happened in college. A friend of mine was taking a TV production class and as a final project they had to do an entire program - news, anything. She asked me if I would be in it for her and read the news and other things. So, I did it. The teacher was a producer at a local TV station and saw the video and offered me a job. I did all kinds of jobs and a lot of sports stories and interviews and live programs. off camera as well as on, voice overs. I was contacted by a newspaper from one of these live shows to write newspaper articles expanding on some of the ideas and did both jobs at the same time with blessing from both. From that I was contacted by someone in the government to produce videos for all the departments. A lot of what each did like where your water comes from and the process it goes through and how it end up in your tap. In the course of that I did other things which landed me work in doing proposals and corporate backgrounds and people backgrounds for bids and services and then websites for places all over the country which just segued to other jobs like grant writing and research and management in a variety of operations positions and acquisitions in fortune 100 companies because I had both a PR and Business background and segued on it's own where I am today. Not one of these jobs ever saw my resume -it was either someone saw the work or I was referred. Just last week I received a phone call from the Executive Director for a volunteer group job I did for 3 years about 2 years ago and was offered a paid position as a department director. She still remembered me after 2 years and I was only a volunteer then. So, don't think it's insane when people suggest getting involved in the community through volunteer work.
well customer-service, retail jobs are the one I want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search