Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

At one time it was quite popular to ask people to reapply for the jobs they already had. People spent so much time justifying their positions that little work was done. I think it kept a lot of HR people employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
Have your co-worker cotact HR and ask for the job requirements document for her position. If they cannot or do not provide that information, she should ask why she is being administered a skills test if they cannot document that it is a requirement for her job position. She may also want to ask how many other employees have taken the skills assessment this year. If they have any integrity and operate above board there should be no problem in providing her this information.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'd suspect a potential reorganization/restructuring ahead. Possibly there will be people asked to compete for reassignment or be laid off. Most likely time to start looking around.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
OK, yes, it would be considered insubordination...I misspoke...I guess I just felt so strongly about the darn test b/c it was, in my opinion, used negatively by the individuals distributing it. I told that person that I felt very uncomfortable and did not see the purpose of my input.

They told me I was paranoid but if I didn't want to take it, I didn't have to. I'm sure it was not to my advantage brownie points-wise, but after having worked there so long, I absolutely knew it would be used against me had I taken it.

And I suppose they could've taken add'l action for my non-action but since I really kicked butt at my job and had been there longer than even my boss, they chalked it up to me being difficult. Looking back, I was being difficult. Not easy to admit but I was a very nasty environment...it changed me and thankfully, I'm not there anymore!!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I was IN a nasty environment...he he

Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Shellnic--glad you're out of that environment.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. I think I'd probably end up taking it just b/c I so rarely see skillset = employment or pay increases any more--at least at this place. I'd probably figure that if they were going to fire me, it was going to happen no matter what.

As for my coworker, yeah, I think there are prolly other issues going on.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I don't see the problem when an employer asks for a skills test. You either have them or you don't. In the event that it is something you don't normally do like typing and you are asked to take a typing test I still don't see the problem. Why would someone worry over that? Unless they claimed to be able to type and it turns out that they can't.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
I agree with Hemlock and would encourage ALL employees at the corp involved to look for new jobs. Legal of them to ask = yes, pass the sniff test for ethical behavior = NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search