Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times

Advertisements

creating a fake company would never work. people have been using real companies and getting real employees at those companies to vouch for them. would assume the employer could demand u show a pay stub or tax return info as the final check which would end the whole charade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
creating a fake company would never work. people have been using real companies and getting real employees at those companies to vouch for them. would assume the employer could demand u show a pay stub or tax return info as the final check which would end the whole charade.
Sure they could, and if it was a recent job it would be easy to verify.

But try going back 8+ yrs and looking for 'proof' of a not well known employer who is also no longer in business and hasn't been for years. Unless you kept your tax returns AND W-2 statements from those years, or you maintained your contacts from that company, including your direct management chain, you don't have much to show as proof. It's a problem for those who aren't trying to hide anything, as much as an issue for those who are trying to cover a big gap. Of course most employers don't care about jobs someone had more than 10 yrs ago, but still...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
u could just have them call references from the company that went out of business. they could google the company or do some other research that would show that the company did at one point exist. if a company actually existed there are certainly ways to prove this

Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM

I googled my two previous employers and there is no mention of them that I can find. Fortunately they are old enough jobs that I don't have to include them on my resume anymore since they are more than 10 yrs ago and employers mostly care about the last 10 yrs at most. I am not in touch with anyone at either company, and haven't been for a decade. No idea where the people I once worked with went. I live across the country now. Can't even remember the guy's name from the one company. <shrug> it happens. It didn't stop me from finding other jobs in the intervening years, so now it should be even less important.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
One could figure out what sorts of proof that companies were going after and forge the documentation. One could do a back ground check on themselves and forge the documentation that they knew could not be varified by a back ground check. I think typically back ground checks just check citizen status and criminal records.

One would have to figure out exactly what tools employers ACTUALLY have avalible to them (as another poster said they are not the FBI or CIA) and then forge or fabricate what ever is nessicary, one could even go so far as to apply for a buisness licence and file tax returns at a loss (you can get away with this for up to 5 years) that way you are still in the system. I had an ex co worker claim that he worked over seas doing uninteresting work so that no more questions were asked. It is becomming a world of us vs them and you get no brownie points for being honest.

There could be a whole market in this, like making fake ID's for underage.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
the really surprising thing to me about all this is that applicants are able to get away with this at major companies. its been all entry level jobs that ive heard of, nothing sr level or high paying. maybe with entry level jobs the work history isnt as important. prolly more concerned with verifying the education and ability to perform the job
Why is it so surprising? Some people act like HR people are going to be like the CIA.

I have found most HR people couldn't pour water out of a glass if the instructions were written on the bottom.

I worked at very well known university from 1990 to 1995, I decided to apply for a position within another dept. I followed protocol and went through the employment office.

I received a turn down letter thanking me for my interest in the university and wishing me luck on my job search. No mention of the fact that I was a current employee. I took the letter over to the director of the employment office.

Another time after being hired at a Fortune 500 company a turn down letter arrived on my 3rd or 4th day of employment, signed in pen by the HR woman who interviewed me.

These are just two examples, I can think of others showing how inept and unprofessional many HR people are.

Unless you're going for a very high level position or something requiring a security clearance, it isn't out of the realm for someone to get an average office job by changing their layoff date or getting someone to act as their reference and say they worked for them.

Yet some people seem to think that HR is going to be to doing detective work that rivals the FBI.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Yes exactly! People are (generally) lazy, and they take the path of least resistance. This goes for hiring managers and HR people too. No, not everyone, but many. They make a couple calls, they run a credit and background check, they call references, but it's not like getting a high security clearance through the government unless you are being vetted for a senior position at a corporation and even then, I'm pretty sure it comes down to your golf game and how well you schmooze and hold your liquor.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why is it so surprising? Some people act like HR people are going to be like the CIA.

I have found most HR people couldn't pour water out of a glass if the instructions were written on the bottom.

I worked at very well known university from 1990 to 1995, I decided to apply for a position within another dept. I followed protocol and went through the employment office.

I received a turn down letter thanking me for my interest in the university and wishing me luck on my job search. No mention of the fact that I was a current employee. I took the letter over to the director of the employment office.

Another time after being hired at a Fortune 500 company a turn down letter arrived on my 3rd or 4th day of employment, signed in pen by the HR woman who interviewed me.

These are just two examples, I can think of others showing how inept and unprofessional many HR people are.

Unless you're going for a very high level position or something requiring a security clearance, it isn't out of the realm for someone to get an average office job by changing their layoff date or getting someone to act as their reference and say they worked for them.

Yet some people seem to think that HR is going to be to doing detective work that rivals the FBI.
If your job requires a security clearance or is VERY high level then no one is going to care about dates of employment. You dont get thoes sorts of jobs unless you have specific knowlage and are highly competent in things like electrical engineering, computer programing, etc. Thoes sorts of jobs are knowlage based, like if your a uni professor working on cold fussion or the manhaten project etc. If you have the expertiese to do stuff like that no one cares about your job gap with joe blows diner when you were 20 in your BS degree program.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Companies frequently post fake jobs. Some because it gives the appearance that they are growing, some because they hired an h1-b and need to prove no American is qualified, sometimes because the HR dept is collecting salary info from candidates to figure out what the position is worth, some because of an EEOC requirement even though they already selected someone, staffing agencies (Aerotek) are notorious for posting fake desirable jobs to flood their offices so they can collect references of managers and compile a list of candidates to flash at their clients, some are anticipating future hiring needs that may or may not happen.

A lot of companies are very passively hiring. I am not looking to buy a bike right now but if I see a Look 585 ($5000 bike) in good condition for $100 at a garage sale I'd snap it up. It is the same with companies. If they find someone with insane qualifications wanting to work for cheap they will snap them up. They are not actively hiring though.
I have worked in HR-- for both public, private, and government entities.

I have NEVER heard any of the aforementioned companies using this as a some rationale to just post fake jobs. Behind job postings and receiving resumes are real people who generally speaking have metrics to gauge how productive they are.

Even posting jobs on an internal website takes a certain amount of development or resources--

A recruiting firm may post fake jobs-- a company I worked at back in the 90s posted requests for resumes-- no job was really mentioned but the ad read something like-- Looking for Lucent or Nortel Switch Technicians for opportunities across the US.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
isn't it easier to stretch dates then create companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search