Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,639 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing a lot of people say that they are getting away with putting in a fake job on their work history to cover extensive unemployment gaps. They give the phone number of a friend or relatives business and the person vouches for them. I am surprised to hear how easily this has worked for some people, even on applications with fortune 500 companies, and they get hired. I am starting to think that sometimes HR either doesnt check everything in your work history or if they do its just a brief phone call to quickly verify your job at the place. I thought in todays world HR would easily sniff out any fake jobs on resumes but i'm hearing from people that its easy to get away with. Anyone ever done this and either been caught or gotten away with it? with unemployment the way it is one almost has to do something to cover gaps, otherwise no one calls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
I don't know how easy it is to get away with, but if so, it could come back to bite you in years to come, IMO. Always better to be truthful.

A stretch of unemployment is not unusual these days. You could include what you did during that time- volunteer work, refining skills, etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Depending on the kind of job you are applying for this is incredibly stupid.

If you are going to work in any firm / part of a firm that truly does care about your trustworthy behavior (from IT to financial services to regulatory and governmental agencies) the extra steps to run a tax ID based employer search would quickly flag you as at least a "fibber" if not an outright fraud.

I am sure a quick phone call to "Van deLay Industries" is all that some low level jobs call for, but once you get your resume into any sizeable firms fully vetted DB the potential for your "fibbing" to make it so that you are about as unemployable as a felon...

Really pretty easy to just google the various addresses and phone numbers to see if something matches a legitimate business of some shmoe sitting around in his parent's basement pretending to be a former employer...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
It's dishonest, no doubt. And it may or may not work. But it's little risk. Realistically, a company will retaliate by not hiring, or firing you. They aren't going to use their resources to prosecute you or pursue you legally unless you do something heinous on a grand scale. What do you have to lose? Chances are once you have the job, you're in as long as you do the job well.

Sure it's wrong, but no more wrong than what's going on in the employment world these days. People will do what they have to do to feed and house their family. Survival trumps morality and ethics. And all those business owners feel the same way about their businesses, survival and profits trump morals and ethics.

Two, four, or six wrongs will never make a right, but that's the way it is these days.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,639 times
how do employers check if you say u were self employed, say as an insurance agent. my buddy was unemployed for a few years but had an insurance license, he claimed to be a self employed insurance agent on his resume and he gave a phone number of someone who owned a financial services company to vouch for him and say he placed business through them. He said he never had a problem and was eventually hired by a major fortune 500 company. He never woulddve gotten an interview otherwise. the company got a great employee and he can now pay his bills and live.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
how do employers check if you say u were self employed, say as an insurance agent. my buddy was unemployed for a few years but had an insurance license, he claimed to be a self employed insurance agent on his resume and he gave a phone number of someone who owned a financial services company to vouch for him and say he placed business through them. He said he never had a problem and was eventually hired by a major fortune 500 company. He never woulddve gotten an interview otherwise. the company got a great employee and he can now pay his bills and live.
Now a situation like this may be harder to prove that the person was unemployed, but, it's still risky. Can't they look up the supposedly employed person's SSN & see that they've done ZERO business, sales, commission, etc.?

No matter what, I still wouldn't risk it.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Some employers do more follow-up than others, and in fact, some do the detail work after the person has started, assuming it will all verify. You would not be able to trust that you go away with it. Even a superior considering you for a future assignment or promotion might make few calls and bust you.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM

82 posts, read 495,785 times
today's job shopping is war. do whatever you have to do to get in the door.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
E Verify is how they check

Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
If companies have no problem posting fake jobs, I see no problem putting fake jobs on your resume. It has a lovely symmetry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search