Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

It is so frustrating, no matter how many jobs that you apply for, you get no response. When I send a resume' by fax or e-mail, I ask to let me know that you've received it. But, nothing! I know there are alot of applicants, but a quick response saying, I received it would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It is so frustrating, no matter how many jobs that you apply for, you get no response. When I send a resume' by fax or e-mail, I ask to let me know that you've received it. But, nothing! I know there are alot of applicants, but a quick response saying, I received it would be appreciated!

I understand your frustration...after a hundred resumes, with no responses, you start to wonder if they are falling into a black hole. But this site, gives you perspective, to realize that we are all sending 100 plus resumes and getting no responses.

Imagine if you put 2 free mcdonald meals in the newspaper for sale, and for some reason 500 people show up at your front door to buy them. I imagine after telling the 30th person no, they are sold out, you would just put a sign iin the window, and pull down the curtains, saying out to lunch!

don't you imagine...

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

If you get no reply then that means someone had a more resume or you just wasn't a good fit. No need to dwell on it because it will continue to happen as long as you continue to job search. I emailed a resume to a job 3 weeks ago and no response. So I started revamping my resume and today I send the new resume to a job posting and get a reply back from the employer 1 hour later. See what i mean? You can' get frustrated you just have to make adjustments.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
No kidding.

In my business communication class they say in the book that you should always have excellent communication with applicants. Once you get their resume you should always keep them up to date on how the process will work, if the position was filled so on so forth. The main reason was to maintain your company's image. If you don't ever respond or you treat your applicants like garbage it will ruin your company image.

Even if the person is not qualified you should still encourage them to visit your site, research the company and so on just to get your company's products and name out there.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
No kidding.

In my business communication class they say in the book that you should always have excellent communication with applicants. Once you get their resume you should always keep them up to date on how the process will work, if the position was filled so on so forth. The main reason was to maintain your company's image. If you don't ever respond or you treat your applicants like garbage it will ruin your company image.

Even if the person is not qualified you should still encourage them to visit your site, research the company and so on just to get your company's products and name out there.

Or you can analyze why you have not been getting replies and move forward. I was wondering why I never got a reply from a job I applied to on careerbuilder and then it dawned on me that I was registered under the email retrotvguy. So I changed it and register under a business email and things are different.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
No kidding.

Well, killer let me know if you feel the same way, after your employer has had you share in the joy of sending out 2500 christmas cards to ex-clients, current clients and potential clients....

The problem is that in the recent past, most employers had to post in three venues for a week or more, to just get 100 applicants. Now, in our current depression, anyone offering a job over 12 hours is now getting 500 to 1000's of resumes.

just a thought

Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I don't expect to get a response from every resume I send out. In fact personally I think it's a waste of an organizations time and money. I just got a letter for a job I had applied for at my City Hall saying I didn't get the position. All I could think of was the hundreds of dollars in taxpayer money taht went into the manpower, stationary, and postage to send those letters to everyone who had applied.

I do think it's incredibly rude for a company that has you come in to interview to not let you know that you didn't get the job.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,033 times
Default Common Courtesy

Quote:
No kidding.

Ditto! It is a reflection on the company, just as it would be on you if they scheduled you for an interview and you didn't show up. A phone (communication) goes a long way. It's called "common courtesy."

Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,033 times
You can do some research concerning the company(s) you might want to consider working for even if they are not advertising for help. Send your resume to the HR Dept and cc it to the manager (finding that persons name may take a little research) of the department you would be interested in working. If they have a website you might find the department head, manager names there. Mention that you visited their website and let them know how informative it was, if you felt that way. And always mention in your cover letter what you can do for them. Just a tip I once learned.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,513 times
I'm in the same boat. So far i've sent out several resumes and haven't heard anything. I thought i'd at LEAST get one phone call.. but no, nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search