Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought all employers had Microsoft Word
Yes, most do have MS Word although if they are using MS Word version 2003 and you send them a resume that is prepared with MS Word version 2007, they may not be able to view it unless they have downloaded the compatibility pack for the new format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Huh?

I thought that most business have Microsoft Software where they have MS word. Maybe I'm wrong

Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Yes, most do have MS Word although if they are using MS Word version 2003 and you send them a resume that is prepared with MS Word version 2007, they may not be able to view it unless they have downloaded the compatibility pack for the new format.

oh ok, well for now on I will continue to cut and paste. I did get three interviews from cutting and pasting so I don't know why I would stop.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Most ads just say send but don't mention attachment.
I always figure that if they aren't saying how they want it done then I get to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have always sent my cover letter and resume in the body of the e-mail, and added the resume as an attachment as well.
I think that this is a really good approach. It gives the receiver the option to use the attachment or not. Some places have IT folk that block attachments. One good virus can really hurt you.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 AM

36 posts, read 83,815 times
Default Cover Letters

My advice: make the cover letter page 1 of your resume. This way, as your resume is being forwarded to hiring managers for review, it doesn't get lost. Typically, your resume will go into a company's database, not your cover letter. It is from the database that your resume will be forwarded to hiring managers. If you feel the cover letter is needed to clarify your credentials, take another look at your resume to see how it may be revised to reflect the positions you're applying for.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM

36 posts, read 83,815 times
I spotted an interesting site called the underground job network The Underground Job Network | Tapping Into The Hidden Job Market -- interesting stuff there -- we send out resumes and never hear anything. Maybe whoever is writing this stuff has some good ideas.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
I spotted an interesting site called the underground job network The Underground Job Network | Tapping Into The Hidden Job Market -- interesting stuff there -- we send out resumes and never hear anything. Maybe whoever is writing this stuff has some good ideas.
I learned no one can tell you how to look for a job, you have to figure it out for yourself. All the things I did was not printed in any articles

Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I have Microsoft 2007, but I specifically save it back to 2003 version just in case they don't have the newer version.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I have Microsoft 2007, but I specifically save it back to 2003 version just in case they don't have the newer version.

Peopel thise days use PDF to save their resumes. I was told this a few months ago and now Only send pdf resumes to prospective employers!

good luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM

378 posts, read 772,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Peopel thise days use PDF to save their resumes. I was told this a few months ago and now Only send pdf resumes to prospective employers!

good luck!
Who told you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search