Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

I'm about to apply for a job that would be a perfect fit for me. The instructions say to send a cover letter, resume, and three references. I've never sent my references with my resume. Usually, I wait until I've at least interviewed and am in the running. Plus, most of my references are upper level and extremely busy and have written me reference letters. So should I include the letters? If I don't attach references is it going to take me out of the running? Why do they want them now anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Is it direct to the company or a staffing agency? If it is a staffing agency be careful. They could just be fishing for manager's contact info so they can send them sales calls and wind up burning your references. Also many of the jobs they post are fake for that reason.

If it is a company direct then go ahead they usually won't devote the time to checking them until you are a serious contender in the final stages. Often they just pass that all to a third party background checking company anyways and they don't want to pay for a dozen candidates. Whereas to a staffing agency reference checking is a pretense to make a sales calls.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We require the same, but do not contact references until we have made our choice. If the references check out we make an offer, and never call any other candidate references. Adding written references won't hurt, but we'd still call them.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Thanks for your responses. Yes, it appears to be the actual company. I really, really want this job so I'm going to just attach the reference info b/c I'm afraid if I don't it might take me out of the running.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM

54 posts, read 162,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Is it direct to the company or a staffing agency? If it is a staffing agency be careful. They could just be fishing for manager's contact info so they can send them sales calls and wind up burning your references. Also many of the jobs they post are fake for that reason.

If it is a company direct then go ahead they usually won't devote the time to checking them until you are a serious contender in the final stages. Often they just pass that all to a third party background checking company anyways and they don't want to pay for a dozen candidates. Whereas to a staffing agency reference checking is a pretense to make a sales calls.

I had this happen to me. I met with a few recruiters and they called my references repeatly! I wind up losing one my references because of it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
I wouldn't include letters of reference, just a list of names. You might want to include addresses and email addresses rather than phone numbers--to help ensure that they don't get harassed with sales calls. Emails are easier to ignore and block than calls. Just add a note that phone numbers can be provided at an interview.

Oftentimes, employers don't even want to call references, just see who you list. Who you list can be just as informative as what they say--that is, if you only list coworkers an not any supervisors, that would say something about what your past bosses have thought of you. If you list very senior management or industry leaders, that says something else entirely.

Last edited by kodaka; 10-09-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
They are not asking for letters of reference; they are asking for names and numbers. If you are not in the running, your references are not gonna be called. If you are in the running, the company is going to be annoyed that you can't follow simple directions and that they have to ask you for the info they already told you to provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search