Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 20,359 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious to know if listing temporary positions and/or self-employment is beneficial to include in a resume. I have been told that temp positions are generally a bad thing to add but, personally, I don't feel like it is so I've always included it. The self-employment comes in because I have owned my own web design/application development company for over 3 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
I think if it is relevant or covers up a gap then list it. A string of many different temp jobs aren't great but one temp job isn't going to hurt.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 20,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think if it is relevant or covers up a gap then list it. A string of many different temp jobs aren't great but one temp job isn't going to hurt.
Thanks, and yes, it's only 1 temp job.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
If your temp job is related to the job you are applying for, sure; otherwise do not, let me repeat, do not put anything irrelevant to the job on your resume. I have been a hiring manager for over 10 years. Do you know how much time I typically spend reading a resume? Mind you, I get over 100 for a position. About a minute a resume, if that.

You want your resume to catch the eyes of the hiring manager. Typically, this is what I look for:
1. Positions held, job title mostly, and their length
2. Skills
3. Education
4. Experience

If I like what I see out of these 4, only then I read more into the resume.

Hiring decision is typically made based on your experience, your dedication to work, your education and skill and your likeability. Please note the "experience" is the first.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 AM

475 posts, read 1,371,105 times
What about the term "self-employment"? I've always wondered if companies see that as a possible conflict of interest or possibly fake. Wouldn't it be better just to put the name of your company? I would think if LLC that would be ok.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
What about the term "self-employment"? I've always wondered if companies see that as a possible conflict of interest or possibly fake. Wouldn't it be better just to put the name of your company? I would think if LLC that would be ok.
If you are self-employed, just put your company name and your title and your RELEVANT experience. But please please don't title yourself as "Owner" or "President". Since it is your own company, title yourself as the position you are applying for. When you are in the interview, please don't say that you own the company either. Just say you work there as a Controller for example, if you are there to interview for a Controller position.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM

652 posts, read 1,276,700 times
Default re

[quote=lifeexplorer;21433732]If your temp job is related to the job you are applying for, sure; otherwise do not, let me repeat, do not put anything irrelevant to the job on your resume. I have been a hiring manager for over 10 years. Do you know how much time I typically spend reading a resume? Mind you, I get over 100 for a position. About a minute a resume, if that.

You want your resume to catch the eyes of the hiring manager. Typically, this is what I look for:
2. Skills
3. Education
4. Experience

Hiring decision is typically made based on your experience, your dedication to work, your education and skill and yo ur likeability. Please note the "experience" is the first.[/QUOTE

I have been looking for a job for one year and a half. My back up career is a barber. My main career is in the administrative side of healthfield.
Right now I am doing barbering , freelance/self employed until I get a job in my mansfield. My Queston is this. I have a functional resume so I put the self employed barber on second page of resume along with the other health administrative jobs. Is it ok that I put the barber job even if it's not revelan or leave it out. But if I leave it out what about the gab?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Default re

[quote=lifeexplorer;21433732]If your temp job is related to the job you are applying for, sure; otherwise do not, let me repeat, do not put anything irrelevant to the job on your resume. I have been a hiring manager for over 10 years. Do you know how much time I typically spend reading a resume? Mind you, I get over 100 for a position. About a minute a resume, if that.

2. Skills
3. Education
4. Experience

Hiring decision is typically made based on your experience, your dedication to work, your education and skill and yo ur likeability. Please note the "experience" is the first.[/QUOTE

I have been looking for a job for one year and a half. My back up career is a barber. My main career is in the administrative side of healthfield.
Right now I am doing barbering , freelance/self employed until I get a job in my mainfield. My Queston is this. I have a functional resume so I put the self employed barber on second page of resume along with the other health administrative jobs. Is it ok that I put the barber job even if it's not revelant or leave it out. But if I leave it out what about the gab?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post

Right now I am doing barbering , freelance/self employed until I get a job in my mansfield. My Queston is this. I have a functional resume so I put the self employed barber on second page of resume along with the other health administrative jobs. Is it ok that I put the barber job even if it's not revelan or leave it out. But if I leave it out what about the gap?
Employers are not so much concerned about "gap". Relevant experience is the first gauge we use. If you don't have relevant experience, forget it.

My advise is to leave anything irrelevant out. As for the gap, I would suggest you to sign up one online class, again class relevant to your line of work, with your local university. So for the gap, you can say "currently attending school".

If you want me to take a look at your resume, I'll be happy to.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Employers are not so much concerned about "gap". Relevant experience is the first gauge we use. If you don't have relevant experience, forget it.

My advise is to leave anything irrelevant out. As for the gap, I would suggest you to sign up one online class, again class relevant to your line of work, with your local university. So for the gap, you can say "currently attending school".

If you want me to take a look at your resume, I'll be happy to.
Thanks a lot! I will direct message you my resume tonight. But what about they see the gap and they think I am not marketable regardless of economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search