Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 52,749 times

Advertisements

Need help with connections finding a job as I have applied for lots of jobs but either I am not selected for the job or do not get an interview. I have Bachelors in finance and I am a CFE and am also eligible for CPA (met the 150 credit requirement) and CGFM certifications. I am seeking a position in accounting, fraud, auditing, contracting, project management, or finance while completing my distance MBA program. Does anyone have any connections or ideas that might be able to assist me with my employment situation? I am looking to stay in the state of VA and am also willing to consider the DC area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM

81 posts, read 115,435 times
Your education and background look great. Definitely on the right track. Finish up the CPA and do not mention CPA or CGFM eligibility until completing at least part of the curriculm if you go that route. The single thing that stands out most is your willingness to relocate. I've been in that situation before. In most situations, HR will not consider relocations even if it involves no expense to the company (at your level of experience). This occurs in all, but the best economies. Decide where you want to be and go there. DC's economy is still holding up decently. You'd have a job in two or three months if you lived there. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac854 View Post
Need help with connections finding a job as I have applied for lots of jobs but either I am not selected for the job or do not get an interview. I have Bachelors in finance and I am a CFE and am also eligible for CPA (met the 150 credit requirement) and CGFM certifications. I am seeking a position in accounting, fraud, auditing, contracting, project management, or finance while completing my distance MBA program. Does anyone have any connections or ideas that might be able to assist me with my employment situation? I am looking to stay in the state of VA and am also willing to consider the DC area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What online jobs sites are you using? indeed.com ?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,497 times
LinkedIn - Wikipedia

World's Largest Professional Network | LinkedIn

Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
It's really tough in this economy to land anything without tons of experience and good contacts. Do you have any local school friends you can network with? Everyone around here (Northern VA) I know who's gotten hired has done so due to friends or family connections. I'm not sure you have much of a shot outside of that anymore.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,369 times
I'm nearly certain you can find a networking group for finance in that area or a professional association.
Go to their meetings. Also, research companies that actually hire at a relatively entry-level (as far as experience) and try to contact them to express interest either through linked-in or calling them up. You have a least some momentum going, many employers like to see that. Others will of course, run away if it looks like you're going to outgrow them in a year or two. So everything should be targeted accordingly.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 AM

162 posts, read 886,616 times
Quote:
Honestly, volunteer for your local chamber of commerce. Just email them, tell them you are looking to volunteer, here is my resume. The people I have met volunteering there are prominent in the community and when I put it on my resume, I got a job pretty quickly as my employer could easily ask their buddy at the chamber of commerce what I was like. I really think that is what got me a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search