Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,400 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that most employers have a mental image of the perfect candidate for a job they are applying for. In most cases they have a perfect age, a perfect race, a perfect sex and a perfect look. I understand now what they are talking about.

When I apply for jobs and are brought in for an interview I am shocked how similar in age, race and sex people are in certain roles. I was in the Human Resources Department for a large Fortune 500 employer and filling out my employment application and had a chance to see the HR team. Everyone was an attractive White woman around 25-35 years old. I noticed that all the Administrative Assistants in the drug company I interviewed at were also women between 25-30. The people at the fast food restaurant were all Hispanic and between 20-35. The women at the place I get my haircut are all Asian and in their 30s. What happens when someone turns 40 in corporate America, do they turn into pumpkins?

If I apply for work they will see I am not the right age or sex or race and I will be ignored. I am overqualified for most jobs and do not have the skills or training for the rest. And I do not look the part for anything.

Anyone else fighting stereotypes while job hunting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
It is all about the $$, and most people hiring are looking to get the most for their money. And people over 40 generally are not willing to kill themselves for peanuts.

Dumb down your resume to get results. Sad but true. And avoid putting dates on your resume as well. And don't put any job you had more than 10 years in the past. The big trick is just to get an interview.

If you are over 40 you are a victim of age discrimination. No matter your race.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I think we all fight stereotypes when applying for jobs. And yes, when I graduated from college, I did find a lot of under or overqualified situations. It was frustrating, but you have to just keep plugging. That said, I am 52 years old now, a bit overweight, just "average" looking and yet, I have not really had a problem finding a job. I'm sure there have been positions I've applied for where I was "just not the image they were looking for" but again, it's not been that difficult finding something either. My take on the situation:
some places may discriminate, others don't. Keep looking. Don't get discouraged.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I am not willing to believe this.

You will get the right job. Someone will see your potential and hire you. I am a big believe in 'think it and it will happen' but this doesn't happen overnight. There is no reason to say 'life stops at 40' and accept you will never have a decent job ever again. I'm 41 and looking to get back into the workplace now I don't have to worry about childcare.

Looking for a good job is very discouraging. You need to sit down, list your skills and try to broaden what you are applying for. In the meantime, get healthy. Walk every day. Look in the mirror and tell yourself, "A good job is coming my way.' Write it down and re-read it.

Yes, it sounds very 'new agey' but it will help you feel better about yourself. Read some biographies or autobiographies of people who were more successful later in life...

You've heard of Colonel Sanders--(KFC)...he was 65 before he made any serious money.

I am also 'scared' and 'feel discriminated' against but I know I have potential and if employers don't see it, it's their loss.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Yes, you will find something. But make sure you update your hairdo and wardrobe to something current. And dye your hair. Appearances do matter. And keep your skills current as well. Take a class or two and put that on your resume, makes it look like you are keeping up to date.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM

I look about 7 year younger than my age (clean living) and don't need to dye my hair (wouldn't do it anyhow).

I taught myself several computer programs. I am lucky I pick them up very easily.

Yes, being neat and clean matter. Those other things..well, you will be accepted for you, and not 'eye candy.' Let them hire some buff or hot 23 year old for that.

Hang in there..you will be okay!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Some jobs are associated with a certain age. In general, entry-level jobs will tend to attract younger candidates while more senior jobs attract older candidates. There will always be a certain stigma attached to an older person who is attempting to get an entry-level job.

As an example, you had mentioned Administrative Assistant jobs. In general, these are entry-level jobs and appeal to young women. By 40, you would be expected to be an Executive Assistant, Office Manager, or other more senior position which would be more suitable for an older and experienced candidate.

Obviously life deals everyone a different hand and sometimes one finds themselves starting at the entry level at an older age. But don't let that be a deterrent - widen your net, look outside the norm - and you will find someone who will give you a chance.

Also - "Overqualified" can be a code word for a few things - namely "Too Expensive" or "You're qualified, but we just don't like you".

Last edited by NYSD1995; 11-09-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Also - "Overqualified" can be a code word for a few things - namely "Too Expensive" or "You're qualified, but we just don't like you".
Or you might take my job in a few years...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM

Also, if you have a problem getting interviews. It may be that you are not putting the right key words or buzz words into your resume. Now the HR departments are so inundated and busy, they run the resumes they get through a "reader" which bounces the ones without the keywords they are looking for.

Get the "hip" and "current" buzzwords in there - look on job / employment websites (monster.com) for the ones related to your field, and sprinkle a few in there, and see how you do.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Also, if you have a problem getting interviews. It may be that you are not putting the right key words or buzz words into your resume. Now the HR departments are so inundated and busy, they run the resumes they get through a "reader" which bounces the ones without the keywords they are looking for.

Get the "hip" and "current" buzzwords in there - look on job / employment websites (monster.com) for the ones related to your field, and sprinkle a few in there, and see how you do.
Absolutely right. One of the more common phrases, that I can't STAND, btw, is "team player". It makes me gag to put it on my resume, so sometimes put in "team worker". Taylor your res for each ad, changing phrases in the cover letter also. I have never got an interview w/out a cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search