Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,334,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am not willing to believe this.

You will get the right job. Someone will see your potential and hire you. I am a big believe in 'think it and it will happen' but this doesn't happen overnight. There is no reason to say 'life stops at 40' and accept you will never have a decent job ever again. I'm 41 and looking to get back into the workplace now I don't have to worry about childcare.

Looking for a good job is very discouraging. You need to sit down, list your skills and try to broaden what you are applying for. In the meantime, get healthy. Walk every day. Look in the mirror and tell yourself, "A good job is coming my way.' Write it down and re-read it.

Yes, it sounds very 'new agey' but it will help you feel better about yourself. Read some biographies or autobiographies of people who were more successful later in life...

You've heard of Colonel Sanders--(KFC)...he was 65 before he made any serious money.

I am also 'scared' and 'feel discriminated' against but I know I have potential and if employers don't see it, it's their loss.

Good luck.
It all comes down to sex appeal...

People don't hire those most qualifyed...what a myth...people hire those they can see themselves getting along with in the work place and who have 'sex appeal'...

If you had your own company...just ask yourself...who would you hire??

Who would you hire to work for you??

1. Someone who was without ego and willing to learn...
2. Someone who was 'cute'...male or female...
3. Someone who looked up to you..and acted a bit 'dizzy'...
4. Someone who acknowledged your ackomplishments...
5. Someone you could control...

People hire who they like, plain and simple...all this hireing based on qualifications is a bunch of hog wash...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,083,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

People don't hire those most qualifyed...what a myth...people hire those they can see themselves getting along with in the work place and who have 'sex appeal'...

People hire who they like, plain and simple...all this hireing based on qualifications is a bunch of hog wash...
Can't find a job?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,526,993 times
Quote:

You are very correct.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
This thread is old, but since so many people have responded and started a discussion:

Over qualified no longer exists. I assure you that even with a masters if you apply for a position working a cash register you will be brought in for an interview and offered just over minimum wage in short order.

Now it means "I don't like you or want to deal with you, leave me alone". When you look at it that way, it makes more sense. They do indeed picture the perfect candidate, though the picture doesn't always include things like race. It might happen, but it I doubt it is a standard in today's economy. The idea now is to get as much as they possibly can, and the impression is that unrealistic beliefs are the ones that lead to finding the most "out of this world" bargain on labor.

If you work as a supervisor for a fast food restaurant as two years, and apply for a position as a supervisor of a fast food restaurant, you won't have enough experience. It is unlikely to matter how the staff responded to you, or what savings you created for the business.

This is the current economy. Yes, managers are occasionally worried about job security. They may fool themselves into thinking they just don't like people who are "arrogant", even if all they know is that the applicant for the position has more qualifications than they do. It's a careful dance of how can I get someone who is already entirely trained, will work very hard for low wages, and won't even think about trying to take my better job?

Further, computerized screening is incredibly ineffecient at producing the BEST applicant, but it is very useful if your goal is to reduce the time spent on going over the applicants. Because of sheer volume, this technique will allow them to pull out several resumes were the vast majority are qualified and then go from there. If they left the best applicant, or several great applicants out, that doesn't matter from a business standpoint. They got someone who was a great value and they didn't have to spend any extra time. They see how you might see shopping for ketchup. Have you tried every brand? Have you looked over the nutritional information? Have you checked ingredients or the dates the bottle expires? It simply isn't worth the time for you to invest so heavily on your ketchup. In the same way the person in HR feels it is not worth their time--even if it is worth the company's time--to read over hundreds of resumes. Most are boring, many applicants are unqualified, and reducing the work dramatically so they can play on facebook is very appealing.

I've handled recruitment for one of my organizations for years. When we advertise we often get heaps of applicants. Sometimes it turns out we don't really need to fill the position as someone has created a more efficient system, or a worker who was on good terms decides they would like to return. Since I know for a fact they did well in our system and will know what they are getting into, it dramatically reduces the downside risk.

When I do send in applications, I intend to use several keywords because any position I am interested in is likely to also attract many other applicants, and therefore likely to be scanned by computer. It is not feasible to call and ask because they often request not to be contacted outside of that practice. Personally, I tended to prefer people who contacted me and would give them quick consideration. I also believe in telling people "no", or "I don't think it will work, but we may be in touch with you". Some people will be thoroughly offended by the latter, I can deal with that. Some will choose to try even harder. Trying hard often leads to success in my book. I can train someone quickly if they genuinely want to learn and improve.

I tell people "no", politely but clearly. I do it because someone did it for me, and I had a great deal of respect for her. I had interviewed for the position, and she called and left a voice mail for me to say they had picked someone else. I sent her a message back thanking her for having the courage and integrity to give me a two minute call to inform me. I understand it isn't easy, but I appreciate it. It was a job I really wanted, so I could appreciate at least knowing quickly.
If you had a Masters degree and applied for a cashier job, they won't call you. I guarantee that. They will look for a cashier with about 2-5 years of experience. They don't want some guy with a Masters degree.

You sound like you live in the 1960s. People can't call on jobs now, because everything is online. Even if you DO get a phone number, they tell you to apply online. They don't want people calling them. The "call and keep calling" is passe. They will tell you to stop calling them.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,118,015 times
Quote:

This is the most inaccurate post I ever seen on this board, especially since I worked with tons of people who had NO SEX APPEAL

Old 12-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This is the most inaccurate post I ever seen on this board, especially since I worked with tons of people who had NO SEX APPEAL
Just depends on what field your working in...

Of course they don't hire based on sex appeal, if your a sanitation driver or plumber, or in road contruction...

I'm mainly speaking of white collar office type positions...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Of course they don't hire based on sex appeal, if your a sanitation driver or plumber, or in road contruction...

I think no matter where you go, insecure bosses hire purposely incompetent suckups. There may be one or two who actually do the job. But collectively, they like someone to stroke them. That is why service and quality are things of the past. It is very rare to get someone who actually is given the power to solve the problem at the front desk or on the phone. Now they do the pity thing, "I am sorry you had so much trouble with that".

Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,118,015 times
Quote:

I been working in the office environment and had many ugly and fat coworkers over the past 10 years

Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I think no matter where you go, insecure bosses hire purposely incompetent suckups. There may be one or two who actually do the job. But collectively, they like someone to stroke them. That is why service and quality are things of the past. It is very rare to get someone who actually is given the power to solve the problem at the front desk or on the phone. Now they do the pity thing, "I am sorry you had so much trouble with that".
Yes, I once had a recruiter for a particular job tell me...

'You know what, you know to much'....

So maybe your right...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I been working in the office environment and had many ugly and fat coworkers over the past 10 years
That's mean....I'm not sure what 'ugly' and 'fat' are to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search