Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,105 times

Advertisements

Very simple scenario say with a sales executive. He gives an overview of his current function and then says he is quite busy also with family and shows a picture of his numerous children. Then he stops talking.

I guess the wrong thing to say is "Wow, that's a lot of fricking kids. No wonder you're worn out."

It also seems wrong to ignore the fact he just showed a picture of his family and go right back on topic.

But as a single person, saying something like "One day, I too hope to have a big family" or something similar sounds ass-kissing to me.

So what's a good response? Even if you have kids not sure if one wants to go far into that since the clock is ticking. Or would just "Great looking herd of kids you got there" suffice to move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
He sounds really unprofessional. Does he want to work there? Maybe he's hinting at something. I would say "that's nice" and steer back to the interview. I would smile and focus on getting the job. You're there to get a job, not to ***kiss regarding the big family. Is this like in the Midwest where some people have a lot of kids or is it a Mom and Pop small employer? I would be seriously turned off if this happened at one of my interviews. I might even end it and walk out. But then, I'm a female and certain things would get under my skin, like some of those illegal questions about being single/married, having families, etc. at job interviews; or even references to such issues at job interviews. Some people make references to these things, if they don't outright ask.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Very simple scenario say with a sales executive. He gives an overview of his current function and then says he is quite busy also with family and shows a picture of his numerous children. Then he stops talking.

I guess the wrong thing to say is "Wow, that's a lot of fricking kids. No wonder you're worn out."

It also seems wrong to ignore the fact he just showed a picture of his family and go right back on topic.

But as a single person, saying something like "One day, I too hope to have a big family" or something similar sounds ass-kissing to me.

So what's a good response? Even if you have kids not sure if one wants to go far into that since the clock is ticking. Or would just "Great looking herd of kids you got there" suffice to move on?
I'm assuming that its a sales job. That means the person filling the position would need to be engaging and polite. Correct response to me would have been " You have a very nice looking family", a smile and then look to him to get on with the job interview process.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I'm guessing he's fishing to find out if you have kids or plan on having them. I would have smiled and said something like, "That's a very nice family photo, I can understand why you've got a busy life." Then shut up. It's an old sales tactic, he who speaks first, loses. (Which might be something else he was testing you on.)

Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times
A good percent of the job hunting interview process is chit chat and general conversation! Nearly everyone who is brought in for an interview has similar technical skills but the employer is looking for someone who fits in, so a smart applicant knows he/she has to be personable. How you handle the small talk part of the interview talking about the family picture makes or breaks you in the final hiring decision.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Keep it about him and his family, deflect.

I made the mistake long ago of being candid with an interviewer in my first job out of college, saying I had no student loans or kids etc.... I ended up getting paid less because of it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Start out by saying, "Well, I'm a survivor." Just kidding.

People do business with people. And when an interviewer has spoken to five candidates who all have roughly the same qualifications, that person will select the one with whom he or she has the most rapport. It's just natural.

That doesn't mean you volunteer a lot. But letting you know that you're a person outside of the job isn't a bad move.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post

Wifey looks nice

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Wifey looks nice
Or even better, "Why you're a lucky man. I'd nail her."

Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Or even better, "Why you're a lucky man. I'd nail her."
That's a direct attack

I'll even drop the "y" and say, "Wife looks nice"

A powerful comment, totally harmless, yet confusing and internally annoying to the other guy, if the other guy is being a pig, or being nice or is messing around. He'll never pull the same stunt again with the next interviewer. Assuming the interviewee does not get the job, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search