Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM

382 posts, read 1,922,066 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I might get an interview with big organization. My resume is all correct with no omissions of any kind as I am an honest person.

However, I started working for another company on Dec 2011 and recently resigned due to different issues (the job was not what I expected; HR manager lost my SS card; high turnover; unprofessional staff).

Of course I am not going to mention that I worked for this employer as there is no point in doing so. However, there is a slight chance (very slight) that my perspective employer may be aware of that situation. They may find out that I worked there 2 months BUT no other information will be available to them.

My question is: if asked during the interview: "why did you omit and why did you leave", what would the best answer be?

If you guys can provide me with exact answer, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM

78 posts, read 376,966 times
keep it simple: that job was not what you expected and that you didnt enjoy it

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Ok thanks, just afraid such statement will backfire

Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
Hmm, better not mention that you didn't enjoyed it.

Can't you just say something like:
"The job wasn't what I expected and I thought it would be better to look for other opportunities that fit my qualifications better" or something like that/
A little bit more positive.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Just make sure you don't lie about anything. You could be all nice & cozy in your new position, then bam, HR finds out you lied about something and you are out the door. I've seen that happen a few times at my job

Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,105 times
It is feasible to mention it during a "what have you been doing recently" but not mentioning it could create a worse situation. Meaning, you will say you weren't do anything for 2 months but you're not sure if they already know? That is too many opportunities to be tripped up. It is better to mention, present positively and move on. Practice your response to inquiry but I would not suggest ignoring it. As long as you do well on the rest, it shouldn't matter. It does not have to be on your resume, as you say, it isn't what you are there for anyway.
To think about it another way: what if they do know and interview you and never let on that they know but you never mention it?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM

well, I have my own small business and that is on resume since march 08, so, there are no questions regarding what I have been doing recently as that covers all of the gaps including that 2 month one.
I just need a good response, so that I can practice it if I ever asked (however, I dont think I will be).

So, something like: "The job wasn't what I expected and I thought it would be better to look for other opportunities that fit my qualifications better" is fine?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Be prepared for being asked to elaborate. They might not but be prepared.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
As a hiring manager, I wouldn't buy that line. If it were true, you would more likely stay while looking for a new job. I would be suspicious that you were fired for some reason and while that would not mean the end of your chances, it would certainly affect them.

Hopefully they will not find out about it. Unless you applied for credit while working there it's unlikely to be discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search