Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah but i'm very likely, probably more inexperienced than you, in fact, i have very little experience for someone my age, Target was my first ever cashier job, sales associate job
You should see how empty my the job experience area of my resume looks. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I feel like with every job I apply for, interview for, and wait for it takes almost a whole month just to get some feedback. As of right now my ONLY lead for a job will be Target, but I'm disappointed that it's just a seasonal sales team member job. Almost two weeks ago I interviewed TWICE in ONE day, then the following Monday I was interviewed AGAIN then I took the drug test right after and passed my background check and then I got their email about orientation, but I haven't heard the H.R. phone call. So I decided to call them instead and now they aren't going to conducting a job orientation at all this week.

What happened to those days where all it took was a paper job application, a 5 minute talk, and a hand shake? Then most of the time nowadays you have to end up calling them because employers never call you back.

I feel like I'm all alone in this situation sometimes because most of my peers got jobs so quickly.
Corporations and even small businesses have many screening tools at their disposal now, much more than in the 1970's. They can claim almost anything and its nearly impossible to dispute it. I hope you get the job though!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
You should see how empty my the job experience area of my resume looks. lol
how old are you? i'm 24

Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I've had some crappy managers who interviewed me. Funny how people still think it's all my fault. I've been in situations where the manager wanted to do 98% of the talking and NONE of it had anything about the job I was interviewing for at the moment. The other manager had a "I don't want to mess with you today" attitude before I could say anything or answer anything. I had this other lady who interviewed me and she asked if I was married and kept talking about her daughter and family. Note to managers, NOBODY cares about your life.
That's illegal to ask if you're married. Even if she was doing it in a casual way, it's against the law.

Sounds like they need to train their managers in interviewing techniques. Or bring in HR people and let them conduct the interviews, do it all in one day.

And drug testing for a seasonal retail job? Insane.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
how old are you? i'm 24
I'll be 24 in 2 months and I feel so weird hardly having any experience.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's illegal to ask if you're married. Even if she was doing it in a casual way, it's against the law.

Sounds like they need to train their managers in interviewing techniques. Or bring in HR people and let them conduct the interviews, do it all in one day.

And drug testing for a seasonal retail job? Insane.
I'm not sure if me telling the manager that I prefer something more long-term and maybe they kept that in mind to keep me there longer than the other seasonal applicants. *shrugs*

Yeah I thought it was illegal to ask questions like that too, but I guess nowadays they can do whatever they want. Being married in this town is important to folks here...I guess it's the culture.

I was interviewing with an HR person from Lowes and she cut my interview short because she didn't bother to look at my application or my resume before wasting my time in the interview.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'll be 24 in 2 months and I feel so weird hardly having any experience.
I turned 24 last month, in January, what was the longest job you had?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I turned 24 last month, in January, what was the longest job you had?
Well technically I never had a job honestly. I just been doing some babysitting, housekeeping, and petsitting for family and I volunteered for my high school at the counselor services. I've been in school full-time and been looking for a job while I was in school, but school was my number one priority(big mistake though now). JObs now are making me pay for that consequence. I wish I could work while I was in school, but things don't always work out sometimes. I didn't have my license nor a car while in college and I lived in a surburban area where everything was spread out so I couldn't get to and from work.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Well technically I never had a job honestly. I just been doing some babysitting, housekeeping, and petsitting for family and I volunteered for my high school at the counselor services. I've been in school full-time and been looking for a job while I was in school, but school was my number one priority(big mistake though now). JObs now are making me pay for that consequence. I wish I could work while I was in school, but things don't always work out sometimes. I didn't have my license nor a car while in college and I lived in a surburban area where everything was spread out so I couldn't get to and from work.
But all of those things you have done babysitting, petsitting, and even housekeeping are positions of responsibility. And those skills are certainly transferrable.

Keep that in mind when you interview. Which is harder to do watch children and take care of pets, or stock shelves and run a cash register.

Don't sell youself short. So if an interiewer says you have no real work experience, you actully do, and volunteering counts as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
my longest job was 3 months but i never include it on my resume, applications because i was fired from there and this was back in 2007 when i was 19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search