Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,354 times

Advertisements

I feel like with every job I apply for, interview for, and wait for it takes almost a whole month just to get some feedback. As of right now my ONLY lead for a job will be Target, but I'm disappointed that it's just a seasonal sales team member job. Almost two weeks ago I interviewed TWICE in ONE day, then the following Monday I was interviewed AGAIN then I took the drug test right after and passed my background check and then I got their email about orientation, but I haven't heard the H.R. phone call. So I decided to call them instead and now they aren't going to conducting a job orientation at all this week.

What happened to those days where all it took was a paper job application, a 5 minute talk, and a hand shake? Then most of the time nowadays you have to end up calling them because employers never call you back.

I feel like I'm all alone in this situation sometimes because most of my peers got jobs so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
It's just that the economy is in a slump. I remember when where I worked we'd take warm bodies. It will pass and companies that keep these recession motivated hiring practices will have problems when the scramble for labor begins.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It's just that the economy is in a slump. I remember when where I worked we'd take warm bodies. It will pass and companies that keep these recession motivated hiring practices will have problems when the scramble for labor begins.
I guess it is the economy, but it seems like everybody I know who was once unemployed got a job so quickly and I didn't...I don't get it. Then again they are in better locations...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Not only is the job hiring process overly complicated, but also it’s troubling to see whose playing gatekeeper. I’ve run into some great recruiters, but I’ve had experiences with a number of ex-frat boy mouth breathers. These ones have such inflated self-worth that they view any well qualified resume as a threat.

I also believe that a number of employers are using job ads and hiring signs as nothing more than PR propaganda for jobs that don’t exist. I mean no company wants to look like they’re not expanding, plus it gives the gatekeepers something to do. They have to get something out of them right?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Not only is the job hiring process overly complicated, but also it’s troubling to see whose playing gatekeeper. I’ve run into some great recruiters, but I’ve had experiences with a number of ex-frat boy mouth breathers. These ones have such inflated self-worth that they view any well qualified resume as a threat.

I also believe that a number of employers are using job ads and hiring signs as nothing more than PR propaganda for jobs that don’t exist. I mean no company wants to look like they’re not expanding, plus it gives the gatekeepers something to do. They have to get something out of them right?
Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of the managers and owners I've come into contact with are very incompetent and have no clue what they are doing. I think some recruiters need to learn how to recruit and interview people better because most don't know what they are doing. Most of the ones I met never had to go through this process. Then I have those managers that brag about how they worked while they were in college full-time and I'm like, "Well good for you, I didn't have that option."

Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
I think it is your interview skills. Generally, if you go onto 3 interviews, you should be able to nail 2 of them - getting 2 offers.

Take a look at this as a start. http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post21445518

Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think it is your interview skills. Generally, if you go onto 3 interviews, you should be able to nail 2 of them - getting 2 offers.

Take a look at this as a start. http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post21445518
My interview skills are just fine thanks. They are the least of my problems. People always think it's the employees fault.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
My interview skills are just fine thanks. They are the least of my problems. People always think it's the employees fault.
Let me share this with you from my many years of hiring experience.

When the employer doesn't call you back, it means they aren't interested. When it drags, it means they aren't impressed by you and rather look for more candidates.

What are the two reasons that a candidate doesn't get hired?
1. interview skills
2. mismatch in experience

Nothing more. :-)

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-14-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let me share this with you from my many years of hiring experience.

When the employer doesn't call you back, it means they aren't interested. When it drags, it means they aren't impressed by you and rather look for more candidates.

What are the two reasons that a candidate doesn't get hired?
1. interview skills
2. mismatch in experience

Nothing more. :-)
I'm aware of that, but my interview skills aren't the problem. I have been called for more than one interview before and have been called for jobs before. I even get compliments, it's other factors. I KNOW this.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
yeah, nowadays you can't rely on anyone you have to do everything yourself, the part i hate is that you have to call them back because if we applicants were not interested, we would not have applied there in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search