Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's insane. My first job while in HS was at The Gap. You went in filled out an application, they looked it over, they hired you as a seasonal employee. If you performed well they kept you on. I worked there for a year.

The only thing you had to do(it was a long time ago) was take a written test to prove you knew their products. And you were good to go.

Not putting down retail, but these jobs shouldn't require 2 and 3 interviews. You're running a cash register, stocking shelves, assisting customers.

They're making it way more complicated than it needs to be.
You must have been working at Gap 10+ years ago. lol That hiring process is no more unless you know somebody working at the company otherwise, it can take up to a a whoooooooooole month.

Retail I agree...and to add on to that, I would say the restaurant industry shouldn't require anymore than one interview. It's not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Call after 3-5 business days. I thought I shouldn't call employers, but I learned that you NEED to after a couple of days, but FIRST ask them when do they expect to make a decision and then call on THAT day of question.
Why would you call on the day they said they are making the decision? So you feel it's ok to look desperate and not even give them a chance to call you on THAT DAY???????

Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
You must have been working at Gap 10+ years ago. lol That hiring process is no more unless you know somebody working at the company otherwise, it can take up to a a whoooooooooole month.

Retail I agree...and to add on to that, I would say the restaurant industry shouldn't require anymore than one interview. It's not rocket science.
Yes, it was more than 10 yrs ago.

Much simpler time, you went down to the mall and filled out applications and if they had time you were interviewed that day and possibly hired.

And you're right, a restaurant shouldn't require more than one interview.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was more than 10 yrs ago.

Much simpler time, you went down to the mall and filled out applications and if they had time you were interviewed that day and possibly hired.

And you're right, a restaurant shouldn't require more than one interview.
Ah, figures..those days are long gone. I wish I was young back then it would have been less stressful.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let me share this with you from my many years of hiring experience.

When the employer doesn't call you back, it means they aren't interested. When it drags, it means they aren't impressed by you and rather look for more candidates.

What are the two reasons that a candidate doesn't get hired?
1. interview skills
2. mismatch in experience

Nothing more. :-)
Then why call a person back for a second interview if they are NOT impressed or interested?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Then why call a person back for a second interview if they are NOT impressed or interested?
Maybe someone was better in that round?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Maybe someone was better in that round?
Not my point. My point was that if an employer is not interested or impressed in someone after the first interview, why call them back for a second one?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why would you call on the day they said they are making the decision? So you feel it's ok to look desperate and not even give them a chance to call you on THAT DAY???????
It's not pathetic nor desperate at all in being proactive in your job search. Some employers even like it when you are assertive and take the initiative to know what's going afterwards. Many times employers FORGET to call back believe it or not. I had to do that for a job at Target and now I'm waiting for a job orientation to start. You got to do what you got to do.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Ah, figures..those days are long gone. I wish I was young back then it would have been less stressful.
It was less stressful.

I also got restaurant jobs while home from college fairly easily. You went in between lunch and dinner talked to the owner/manager and you could walk out with a job. Sometimes you filled out an application and sometimes you didn't.

That's ridiculous that you have to take a drug test for seasonal work at Target.

I could see if someone was driving a truck/bus or operating heavy machinery.

But not for retail. And one interview should be enough, I can't even imagine what they discuss at a 2nd or 3rd interview for a retail job.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
It was less stressful.

I also got restaurant jobs while home from college fairly easily. You went in between lunch and dinner talked to the owner/manager and you could walk out with a job. Sometimes you filled out an application and sometimes you didn't.

That's ridiculous that you have to take a drug test for seasonal work at Target.

I could see if someone was driving a truck/bus or operating heavy machinery.

But not for retail. And one interview should be enough, I can't even imagine what they discuss at a 2nd or 3rd interview for a retail job.
They pretty much repeat the same questions over and over, but try to be slick by rewording it differently and they expect you to have an intelligent, different answer for it without repeating yourself.

I tried working during college, but when you don't have a license therefor no vehicle in a surburban area, it complicates things. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search