Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Post 13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Anyway, at this rate I am no longer going to banter back in forth defending my position. To those still unemployed, take the advice or leave it.
After writing six more posts, a few of which were bantering back and forth in defense, including one that alienates someone who not only opened up to you but complimented you:

Quote:
I will no longer respond to your posts, though.
Then:

Quote:
One more thing and then I'm done.
I am done, never again.
So, is this sales position in used cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
sales position in used cars?
More likely insurance sales.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
You know what? I am now in tears. I have desperately tried to keep my head above water for seven weeks. I have desperately tried to keep my child fed. Are you stinking happy now? Yes. You found me out. I am a used car salesman. I have never come across so many cruel people on City-Data and I have been on here for years. Well, there you go. You accomplished what you set out to do which was to grind me into the ground. Shame on you. And shame on the people that had to make the snide remarks about running my husband off. But Yzette, those last remarks were ultimately so childish that I can truly see why you can only get freelance work. Seriously, you are a bitter and cruel person.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
hiknapster.....

Yes, this thread won't be a pride of C-D.

I wish you the best in your new profession, especially less stress. Sales people have to perform and sell sell sell no matter how off-putting and obnoxious and door-slamming people can be. So please develop tough skin, - consider this exchange as training.

Good luck!!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
A job is a job. If the OP is good at getting the job of selling cars and does so successfully, that's great, and obviously she knows what hard times are like. But still, to tell people who haven't had the same success that it's somehow their fault, that's kicking someone who is already having trouble staying up and not down.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I did the same thing at age 62. I moved to an area where I had no connections, and I had experience in two different areas; banking and office management. I interviewed in banking twice, and was offered an entry level job with full benefits, which I took, since at our age the benefits are worth a fortune, and at the time DH didn't have any. I sold myself, for sure. Part of it is luck, and part is right time, right place.
I work from 9 to 4 M-F now, with full benefits, and I think I am fabulous and appreciated for my skills.
I am grateful for the chance to prove I am up to new challenges at my age.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Default Come off it, already!

Quote:
You know what? I am now in tears. I have desperately tried to keep my head above water for seven weeks. I have desperately tried to keep my child fed. Are you stinking happy now? Yes. You found me out. I am a used car salesman. I have never come across so many cruel people on City-Data and I have been on here for years. Well, there you go. You accomplished what you set out to do which was to grind me into the ground. Shame on you. And shame on the people that had to make the snide remarks about running my husband off. But Yzette, those last remarks were ultimately so childish that I can truly see why you can only get freelance work. Seriously, you are a bitter and cruel person.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...nesnark/DL.jpg

Enough with the drama. You came in here, you were beyond condescending to those who have been out of work and looking for a long time, you insulted someone who opened up to you, you called people rubbish, people told you how they felt, you refused to even consider that you might have come off as cavalier, never mind apologize for your clueless remarks and your callousness, you lashed out and insulted people further by telling them they are just jealous and angry people, and now you are weeping crocodile tears--and you have the audacity and self-absorption to call everyone else cruel while you're at it.

You are also talking out your behind about me. My posts about my work in various threads and subforums here speak for themselves. You started this thread, people told you what they thought of it, and that's all there is to it.

Speaking of... This is a message board. You don't know anyone here. If you can't handle criticism here, you will last approximately two weeks in a sales job. Get used to the word "no," because you will be hearing it a lot, I guarantee you. Why? Because a lot of people have been out of work for a long time and don't have the extra income to spend on whatever it is you're selling. Go figure!

Indeed, I wonder if this "well-paying" job even exists. I think you probably got one of those financial/insurance jobs I mentioned earlier in the thread, where they recruit a ton of people, select a handful, tell you you're wonderful, make you sell your butt off, and if you don't make your numbers in a few months, can you. In fact, it occurred to me that maybe you got the job because of your age, to either fill a quota or to appeal to an older audience, as they often do if it's a product older people might be interested in buying, like life insurance or long-term care insurance.

Either way, if you can't handle disagreement here, and you can't handle what essentially amounts to the rejection of the thoughts expressed in your posts, you won't last in a high-pressure sales job where you'll face rejection every day. You certainly haven't sold anyone here with your "inspiration."

Oh, wait, I'm kicking you while you're down now, aren't I?

Last edited by Yzette; 03-02-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM

52 posts, read 88,591 times
Quote:
Someone who desperately tries to keep their head above water does not insult and belittle the plight of others. There are unemployed people who have been trying to keep their head above water for YEARS and you dismissed their situation as "rubbish". You obviously lack reading comprehension skills because nobody said you ran your husband off. We were drawing an analogy to prove how heartless and condescending your initial post was. The only source of shame in this thread is you. If an internet message board makes you cry and grinds you into the ground, you need to toughen up. Stop making excuses for yourself.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Either way, if you can't handle disagreement here, and you can't handle what essentially amounts to the rejection of the thoughts expressed in your posts, you won't last in a high-pressure sales job where you'll face rejection every day. You certainly haven't sold anyone here with your "inspiration."

Oh, wait, I'm kicking you while you're down now, aren't I?[/quote]

No ill will toward the OP if she got a decent job.

But I was attacked for posting facts on the economy in Tennessee. lol. God forbid people have divergent views on that sacred subject.

I took the high road and moved on, yet some continue to email me asking where Im moving. lol. And fwiw MANY agreed with my post re:NE Tennessee.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions here, oh but not on Tenn.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A job is a job. If the OP is good at getting the job of selling cars and does so successfully, that's great, and obviously she knows what hard times are like. But still, to tell people who haven't had the same success that it's somehow their fault, that's kicking someone who is already having trouble staying up and not down.
It's almost unheard of in this economy of finding a job within a month of looking. Even people who apply to places like Target and Home Depot are getting frustrated as they have expressed here.

They apply online, maybe get an interview, have to take a personality test to stock shelves and run a cash register. And then wait and wait for weeks on end.

The problem becomes in telling people they're doing something wrong and it's them and not the economy.

There is age discrimination, it can't be proven and being over 50 or even 40 isn't a protected class but it does happen often.

But there are also people on this board who aren't even close to 50 who are having a hard time. They go on 2 and 3 interviews over a few months for the same job and then hear nothing back. Or people who have been offered jobs and then the offer is retracted and they're told the position is now on hold due to budget cuts.

Even temp agencies now have temps go out and interview onsite with the company and will send other temps to the same company. All competing for a $10 an hour data entry job that will last 6 weeks.

But I believe most people on this board know how to interview and carry themselves. Even if they're depressed about their situation they go in and make eye contact and sell themselves.

Many things come into play, the area you live in and the unemployment rate, being at the right place at the right time, and good old fashioned luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search