Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM

39 posts, read 60,070 times

Advertisements

Either you can pass on the opportunity or be honest and let them know.

In the mean time, stop smoking weed. Even at parties, you don't need to be doing drugs.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people smoke that crap. It stinks to high hell and it's a drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
So I've been contacted for a job interview with a company that actually DOES background checks and drug testing for companies that are hiring people. It's a sales position.

He told me at the end of the phone interview: "Not trying to scare you off or discourage you, but I just want to remind you we are a background check and drug testing company, so you will be checked and tested. The drug test will go back 90 days"

I've smoked Marijuana maybe 3 times (5 at most, can't remember exactly) in the last 90 days just at parties. I'm assuming this will show up on my drug test? If the interview is in 4 days, is there time to do something to help my chances?

It's an interview that's out in the burbs and I'd have to take a day off work to do the interview. I have a job now that I'm making decent money at so I'm not desperate for a job. I'm thinking of cancelling the interview and not wasting my time. Is there a chance I pass? Is there a chance they see I didn't smoke that many times and overlook it and hire me anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
So I've been contacted for a job interview with a company that actually DOES background checks and drug testing for companies that are hiring people. It's a sales position.

He told me at the end of the phone interview: "Not trying to scare you off or discourage you, but I just want to remind you we are a background check and drug testing company, so you will be checked and tested. The drug test will go back 90 days"

I've smoked Marijuana maybe 3 times (5 at most, can't remember exactly) in the last 90 days just at parties. I'm assuming this will show up on my drug test? If the interview is in 4 days, is there time to do something to help my chances?

It's an interview that's out in the burbs and I'd have to take a day off work to do the interview. I have a job now that I'm making decent money at so I'm not desperate for a job. I'm thinking of cancelling the interview and not wasting my time. Is there a chance I pass? Is there a chance they see I didn't smoke that many times and overlook it and hire me anyway?
Doing drugs = failed drug tests especially if it goes back 90 days.

Not doing drugs ever = always passing drug tests no matter how far back they go.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Go to the interview! They won't test you at the interview, only if they offer you the job. The hiring process may time a long time before they chose a candidate. It's 3 months from the last time you smoked if you're a heavy smoker. For light smokers, it could be out of your system in 4 weeks. When was the last time you smoked?
They aren't going to wait to give him a drug test. It will most likely be around the same time as the interview.

If it is a urine test, there are definitely ways to pass. I have a friend who is a heavy user and she spends the days before a drug test drinking cranberry juice and using Niacin and she passes every time.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
They aren't going to wait to give him a drug test. It will most likely be around the same time as the interview.

If it is a urine test, there are definitely ways to pass. I have a friend who is a heavy user and she spends the days before a drug test drinking cranberry juice and using Niacin and she passes every time.

Exactly, they're not going to wait, especially when a drug test was mentioned.

If the interview goes well it is quite possible they would hand the OP a slip of paper and sent them over to ABC Lab the same day.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

If the interview goes well it is quite possible they would hand the OP a slip of paper and sent them over to ABC Lab the same day.
That scenario is possible, but is not like my situations.

I was tested several times for preemployment. The test paperwork didn't start movement until after the offer was accepted. One time the interview was 30 days before the offer and then the test was taken 3 -4 days after the offer was accepted.

I am not sure if companies want to spend money on testing for someone if the offer has not been extended and accepted. But I guess procedures vary by company.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Employers do NOT pay to drug test people unless they decide to hire them. No matter how well an interview goes, it's super rare for an employer to decide they want to hire someone at the interview.

Prospective employers mention the drug test early on because they don't want to waste their time interviewing people who won't pass. They want to give candidates a heads up so they can pass the test or not bother coming if they can't pass the test.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
That scenario is possible, but is not like my situations.

I was tested several times for preemployment. The test paperwork didn't start movement until after the offer was accepted. One time the interview was 30 days before the offer and then the test was taken 3 -4 days after the offer was accepted.

I am not sure if companies want to spend money on testing for someone if the offer has not been extended and accepted. But I guess procedures vary by company.
Your experience is more the norm. Very few employers hire so quickly. Some take even longer than your experience. There could be second and third interviews. Then there could be weeks after the last interview before the offer is made. I've even known employers who took weeks after the offer before the new employee was scheduled for a preemployment physical. The start date ended up being 6 weeks after the offer.

Some states actually have laws prohibiting employers from drug testing under certain circumstances. For example, Vermont law dictates pre-employment drug testing can only be done post offer, with required 10 days notice, and only when a full physical examination is conducted. That means a Vermont employer can't just pay for a drug test, but has to pay for a physical exam too. Many states prohibit drug testing pre-offer and can only be done post offer. Here's a list of state laws if anyone wants to check them out: http://www.drugtestingusa.com/docume...sting_Laws.pdf

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Employers do NOT pay to drug test people unless they decide to hire them. No matter how well an interview goes, it's super rare for an employer to decide they want to hire someone at the interview.

Prospective employers mention the drug test early on because they don't want to waste their time interviewing people who won't pass. They want to give candidates a heads up so they can pass the test or not bother coming if they can't pass the test.
It depends on the situation.

For example some temp agencies will have someone come in interview, take software tests, and then send them to a lab the same day for a urine test.

This is before they even have any assignments lined up. Or even if they will have any assignments for them anytime soon.

It's not out of the realm of possilbilty that this employer might like the OP(remember this is SALES which seems to move quicker than regular office jobs) and say "let's get the drug test out of the way today".

Best not to be surprised.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
it might be present, a lot depends on metabolism. THC gets stored in fat cells, so if you are pretty skinny it might be gone by now. Do some research online.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM

249 posts, read 803,576 times
I know someone who ate poppy seed pastry the day before the test and it came up positive for opitates. An outdated, unsophisticated test. But he still didn't get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search