Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times

Advertisements

I looked into this when my kids were small and we lived in the boonies. I did NOT want to rely on a 30 minute wait for the ambulance to get there. Our local community college had a program: you had to have a clean criminal b/g check (local PD) and a CPR cert to get into the program (two Saturdays, eight hours a week). It was a four month series of courses, but very intense - twice, three times a week, six hours a night. But it was Community College cheap. As with college these days, the nights you are not in class, you are advised to be riding as a volunteer with your local Fire Department. Builds the experience base.

EMT is only the entry point. You keep taking courses for higher qualifications. By the time you are a paramedic, you are making some really good dough. BUT...there are no short cuts. Riding with the volunteer ambulance corps is non-negotiable. You will NOT get hired without these credentials.

So, even though it's only a four month certification, it is academic unless you devote your life to getting the actual on the ground experience to do it.

My decision was time with the children. I traded off emergency expertise for more time to spend with them. Thankfully, nothing ever happened that would have made that half hour wait a life or death situation. But it was a real risk, and I really sweated over that decision.

IF I had not been working already, i would have put the kids in day care and used that time during the day to get certified as an EMT. Even if I had never made a dime from it. It was that important to me to know that I'd be able to stabilize them until they could get to a hospital if something serious had ever happened.

Good luck to you - but there are no short cuts to EMT certification. You can do it for cheap (relatively), but you cannot do it without devoting your entire life to it for four months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
The market is very, very tight.

Look here:

Career Center Home - JEMS.com

Jobs - EMS World

What state are you in?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The market is very, very tight.

Look here:

Career Center Home - JEMS.com

Jobs - EMS World

What state are you in?
Pennsylvania. Known to some as Pennsyltucky.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Perfect. I got my EMT and Paramedic certifications there originally.

Go to EMT class. The instructors, students and folks you do ride time with will have an idea of the local job market.

I'm not familiar with all areas but unless you are near one of the big cities the volunteer component will be prominent. Some hospitals will hire you. There are always the private services.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I think some of the posters have given you pretty good advice. A paramedic cert is very intensive and requires a lot of pharmacology. Start with your EMT cert and go from there.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think some of the posters have given you pretty good advice. A paramedic cert is very intensive and requires a lot of pharmacology. Start with your EMT cert and go from there.
I have a Bachelors in Nutrition Science so pharmacology it is one of the skills I think I could get down pretty good actually as we hit up cellular metabolism pretty good (medical level).

Thanks for the advice all. I do think the EMT-B is a requirement prior to Paramedic so it looks like that is a good start.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Also, once you have your EMT-B, you can work in an Emergency Department. Many hospitals will hire EMT's to work as Techs in their ED's.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Also, once you have your EMT-B, you can work in an Emergency Department. Many hospitals will hire EMT's to work as Techs in their ED's.
Someone told me CNA with EMT-B is required for ER tech. So maybe that's the direction this is going.

Thanks all.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

I'd say that is region specific advice that may or may not apply to the OP. It's worth checking into.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Maybe OP could CLEP some coursework with his/her existing degree's courses. Best wishes to OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search