Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Social Security is not going to be there for me in 45 years.

it will be if you and lots of others in your generation demand it and voice your opinon about it. If all the youngsters roll over and accept that it won't be there and don't fight for it, then you will create a self fulfilling prophecy and the govt will say "ok, they are ok with it going away, then no need to sharpen our pencils and work something out for the people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
it will be if you and lots of others in your generation demand it and voice your opinon about it. If all the youngsters roll over and accept that it won't be there and don't fight for it, then you will create a self fulfilling prophecy and the govt will say "ok, they are ok with it going away, then no need to sharpen our pencils and work something out for the people."

I wish we could come together like folks did in the 60's, But, If you haven't noticed my generation rarely gets motivated to change anything. Even with twitter, Facebook, ect getting us motivated to change anything is like pulling teeth. I am from a small town a few miles away from Sanford, Fl , where the whole Trayvon thing is going on, and let me tell you that I am FLABBERGASTED at the movement going on with young folks down there....a little OT, but anyways.......I do know that I am tired of paying for something that I will never gain from. In my head, I just pretend like the money that comes out of my check for SS and Medicare goes directly to my grandmother, and thats how I justify it.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM

107 posts, read 364,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
This one gives 17 days of PTO a year.Which is good. I definitely want to get some sort of pension though, I honestly dont see myself being discplined enough to contribute to a 401K, and Social Security is not going to be there for me in 45 years.
That is good and i'm sure you'll incur more PTO the longer you work there. And if you think about it, you really don't want to be taking that much time off anyway; especially when you're new. It's my first year with this contractor and I only plan on using my PTO this year if it's an emergency. I don't think I'll need the PTO until I'm older and settled in.

I really lucked out in that the contractor company I work for also has a nice pension plan. You can always shop around once you're in and find a contractor that offers what you want.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Having just spent a week in Las Vegas I was surprised at how much cheaper it is than Seattle. Still, having been to ND a time or two I think you will find even Vegas to be hard on that salary. Most likely the small town would be a better match financially, and more secure.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't think Helena counts as a "small town!" It's a small city. Didn't someone say it's about 30k people? That's not what I picture as a fishbowl small town, like 800 people where everyone grew up together or knew each other's grandparents or something.
I second the vote that Las Vegas isn't likely a good place to raise a kid. So many transient workers, reported lousy school systems, the lowest percentage of college grads in the country for a major city. A long drive to anywhere else urban, too.
I'd take the fed job in Helena in a heartbeat- good for the kid, security for OP, and it's not Las Vegas. Yes, it'll have cold winters, but it beats 110 routinely in the summer. I just think of LV as sort of a wasteland for home life, and even for a young woman who is a mother/worker. I don't think LV would be that much more cosmopolitan for a minority person (except Hispanic) than Helena, I say not THAT much more. Maybe OP could talk to people who have worked in Helena or in that job area and talk to them.
Nice to have two offers, after years of trying! Best wishes.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Take the fed job..I know people who work for the government and compared to MOST (notice I said MOST, not all ),private sector jobs it is much much better. My friends get a lot of pto, great medical bennies, better job security, pension,etc. Get on the tax payer dole and your life will be a lot less stressful with the pto and great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search