Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 AM

89 posts, read 291,356 times

Advertisements

We have just relocated for my husbands job and now I am on the job hunt. I have my first "real" interview tomorrow with a Housing and Redevelopment Authority agency (provides housing for elderly, disabled, low income families) for a Program Assistant. It only requires that you have a high school GED (but pays fairly well) I have just received my Bachelor of Arts in Human Services. Though I have education the last 7 years of my life consists of employment with child care and UPS. So I am extremely nervous for the interview.

They are mostly looking for someone with people skills (which I have) and strong computer skills including Excel (I'm not real familiar but can learn). And want you to be able to obtain a Certification in public housing rent calculation within 18 months. Do I tell them in the interview that I have not had a whole lot of experience with Excel and am not great at math...or just ask what the training includes.

I mean they must not be too concerned with my employment past if I got an interview right? I'm just so nervous, really think it is something I would like to do!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Just ask what the training includes - if they need a person with specific skills and yet were willing to interview you despite not meeting all those skills (such as Excel), there's no point in reminding them that you may not be exactly what they are looking for. If you feel you can learn the needed skills through training, go for it - this doesn't sound like a situation where they need somebody with very narrow and advanced mathematical skills that are far above what you have or could gain, so you can probably learn it.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I would never say in an interview that "I am not very good at Excel or math". Say instead you are proficient in excel, but could probably use a refresher as you haven't used it in awhile but can do simple equations.

It isn't the easiest program to learn, depending on what you are using it for. Doing VLookups and other complex calculations may be a part of the job. You don't want to get in over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search