Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think there is more to your story than your telling. Because you contradict yourself in later posts.

As one poster suggested go on Linkedin(you don't even have to join) and you can see where these people are currently working, even if you didn't keep in contact with them it takes little to no effort to send them an email or call them and explain your situation.

If you left the jobs on good terms and weren't a difficult person there is no reason they wouldn't help you out with a few minutes of their time.

It sounds like a great job and yet you want to make no effort to track down a couple of people? Something doesn't add up. Sounds like there are reasons you're not comfortable contacting these people.

The problem with him contacting them on Linkedin is he needs to get in touch with them right away and those people may not be on Linkedin that often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The problem with him contacting them on Linkedin is he needs to get in touch with them right away and those people may not be on Linkedin that often.
I didn't say contact them through Linkedin, I said go on Linkedin and track down where they're currently working if they're members of Linkedin, than get their current work phone number and contact them right away.

Put their names in and see if they're listed. It takes a few seconds and it could be to the benefit of the OP, I agree they can't wait to hear back through Linkedin, but use it as a tool to get current info.

If the OP left on good terms there shouldn't be a problem to get someone to be a work reference.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I didn't say contact them through Linkedin, I said go on Linkedin and track down where they're currently working if they're members of Linkedin, than get their current work phone number and contact them right away.

Put their names in and see if they're listed. It takes a few seconds and it could be to the benefit of the OP, I agree they can't wait to hear back through Linkedin, but use it as a tool to get current info.

If the OP left on good terms there shouldn't be a problem to get someone to be a work reference.

You cannot see the email or contact phone number for people on linkedin if they are not one of your connections

Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You cannot see the email or contact phone number for people on linkedin if they are not one of your connections
you can see the company name and look up the phone number on the net.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
you can see the company name and look up the phone number on the net.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Well that is a option if you can get the company name

Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
This has happened to me. For one I gave them the number of HR to verify my employment dates and told them since the PI has moved and I cannot locate her (but I had a letter of recommendation she graciously wrote for me). And then the second company I told them I had tried really hard to get a reference BUT the company is super secretive (private) and that they will not respond to my emails asking for a phone number! I had only worked the job for like 3 months anyways (to put food on the table) and left that job for my next job (which over 3 years had passed since then) so I wish I could but I couldn't.

BTW that job made me give them 18 damn references. I told them at that point I didn't know who else to ask and if 18 good references aren't enough I don't know what is!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Companies check your references because you may be competent with your skills, an excellent interview, but a horrible worker.

When they talk to a real person and ask how you are as a worker they will give the hiring manager a more comprehensive answer.
This is exactly the sort of question most former employers will refuse to answer.

They cannot get in trouble for answering truthfully to questions that can be backed up with actual evidence...such as "how long was applicant x employed there?" or "how was applicants attendance record"?

But something subjective like is applicant x a hard worker? Open to interpretation and a potential lawsuit if it harms their application. Most former employers are not going to take on that liability risk for the benefit of some other HR.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
This is exactly the sort of question most former employers will refuse to answer.

They cannot get in trouble for answering truthfully to questions that can be backed up with actual evidence...such as "how long was applicant x employed there?" or "how was applicants attendance record"?

But something subjective like is applicant x a hard worker? Open to interpretation and a potential lawsuit if it harms their application. Most former employers are not going to take on that liability risk for the benefit of some other HR.
Not true.

If I call and ask "In your opinion, is so and so a hard worker?" if the person says "no, they were not" the company is covered and there is no lawsuit. I asked for an opinion. So, unless the applicant is in possession of a recent glowingly positive review by the person I talked to, there is no lawsuit. There has to be PROOF that not only was the reference not truthful, but that their opinion was motivated in a desire to make sure that the person did not get a new job.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Not true.
You're right. There is SO much misinformation bandied around as "fact" where what a previous employer can say to a prospective new employer is concerned. Drives me nuts. Oops, better have my coffee!!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You're right. There is SO much misinformation bandied around as "fact" where what a previous employer can say to a prospective new employer is concerned. Drives me nuts. Oops, better have my coffee!!
Yup! I learned on this board I was incorrect about what HR could and could not say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search