Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,500,209 times

Advertisements

I did some reading and some recruiters say yes reach out to your network and let them know you are out of work. Well, to be honest, when I see a former co-worker, change their status to seeking employment to me it equals Loser

So I lost my job in June but still keep my last employer as most recent. When asked by recruiters over the phone I am honest and tell them I left in June. Then there seems to be a shift in their tone of voice......... I only wanted to talk to Dan because I thought he was employed now that I know he is not I am don't want to talk to him at all. One recruiter even told me that the company he was doing contract recruitment for was primarily only interested in people that are currently employed.

Maybe this is just my perception, but everyone wanted me when I was employed. Recruiters were seeking me out. Now that I am out of work, its like I have a disease, and yet I only lost my job in June of this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
I have seen it, and I think it depends on how your lost your job. When I see someone looking I am connected to, I'll look at their profile and forward them jobs I think they may be a good fit for.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,500,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have seen it, and I think it depends on how your lost your job. When I see someone looking I am connected to, I'll look at their profile and forward them jobs I think they may be a good fit for.
Well I was terminated for not being able to meet sales quota, only 2 out of 16 were at quota no mind.

But hey congrats to you, you are a good person. I have done the same for people because when I was employed everyone wanted me now no one wants me.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
I do not think this is appropriate unless you are a recent college graduate.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 AM

276 posts, read 431,366 times
To me, it is an honesty issue. I've been to many recruiter fairs and the like and the recruiters all say honesty is key, whether it is reporting salary or why you left, etc. If your current LinkedIn profile is not a truthful representation of your current situation, even if the recruiter WAS interested in you, they may no long be once they find out your profile was misleading.

I do not think you can paint this as solely as "they were interested in me when they thought I was working" when you were not 100% truthful. Someone could say the job search is all a zero sum game, and that might be true, but then you sometimes have to deal with the consequences when game play doesn't work.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I did some reading and some recruiters say yes reach out to your network and let them know you are out of work. Well, to be honest, when I see a former co-worker, change their status to seeking employment to me it equals Loser

So I lost my job in June but still keep my last employer as most recent. When asked by recruiters over the phone I am honest and tell them I left in June. Then there seems to be a shift in their tone of voice......... I only wanted to talk to Dan because I thought he was employed now that I know he is not I am don't want to talk to him at all. One recruiter even told me that the company he was doing contract recruitment for was primarily only interested in people that are currently employed.

Maybe this is just my perception, but everyone wanted me when I was employed. Recruiters were seeking me out. Now that I am out of work, its like I have a disease, and yet I only lost my job in June of this year!
If you were at a company a significant amount of time (over 5 years experience) and I were in-between jobs, I think I would eventually update my Linkedin status to reflect that I am seeking work after being out of work a few months or so.

Honestly, the goal is to find a job. I don't care if people think I am a "loser," so what? - In the end I need a job and will market myself best I can to find something. I need to let everyone know I am looking. In my field, Linkedin is used heavily for job seeking, it may not matter in some other lines of work.

The employers prefer people who are currently employed, that is just how selective they are and right now they can use your status on Linkedin to figure out your "employment status."

I think the strategy to leave your Linkedin showing you have a job is OK for a period of time, but if you rack up a lot of time, like a year or so, you probably should update it. Another thing you can do is put the years you worked at a job and not necessarily show what month you left. That leaves it a big more vague to someone who just simply views your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search