Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times

Advertisements

Not sure what you want to do (just get something or start your career) but you may be able to walk around your town and see help wanted signs.

Sounds odd, and mainly the jobs will be in retail, but it's a way to (maybe) get away from sitting online hoping out of 1,000 people you will be called.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,734 times
In the past, I have targeted a company. I would decide what company I wanted to work for, then, find out from their website if they were hiring for something I wanted to do and was qualified for. I would submit my resume on their website. Sometimes there are numbers to the company on the website. I would call and speak to someone in HR and inquire about the position I had just applied to. This typically works well if the company is hiring many people for a position. But, I'm sure it would work if the company only had one opening.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
unless you know someone, you will have to put up with the internet BS sadly... Have you tried applying directly, contacting directly the company you are applying for? I find monster, careerbuilder, indeed etc... to be colossal waste of time-quite literaly a BLACK HOLE. Goes without saying, attend the career fairs at your school

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavno View Post
Well,

I'm at a point where I am about to just give up on this whole internet job hunting nonesense. It seems like there are no jobs at all for someone fresh out of college.

All the so called "entry level" postings require a **** load of job experience for minimum wage. I mean it's laughable what they expect you to have and bring to the table for a measly ten bucks an hour.

I also find it a complete waste of time to fill out a hundred applications during the week and maybe get one of them to reply.

Has anyone had success just picking up the phone book, finding a section of business areas that interest you (ie. banking) and just calling random companies to find out if they are hiring and faxing them your resume?

To me, that seems like it would be a more effective approach than answering 100 questions for every online application and never hearing back from those losers.
Yes, every job I've ever gotten was someplace that I specifically targeted, as you described. Random job hunting is a fairly hopeless activity. But sorry, I'd use the internet and not the phone book to find places I might want to work.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
In the past, I have targeted a company. I would decide what company I wanted to work for, then, find out from their website if they were hiring for something I wanted to do and was qualified for. I would submit my resume on their website. Sometimes there are numbers to the company on the website. I would call and speak to someone in HR and inquire about the position I had just applied to. This typically works well if the company is hiring many people for a position. But, I'm sure it would work if the company only had one opening.
This is a great idea, too. I tried this the last time I was job-hunting and I did get a few responses. None turned into offers, but I found a job fairly quickly from another source and indicated such so these conversations could have very well led to something. If the company you want isn't responding to you, research similar companies until you find another.

I do think you are going to have to utilize the internet, but you need to go beyond just responding to ads blindly. That is likely your problem (and the problem of many other job seekers)

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I love the ideas of calling and walking---I've had success both ways. Now, I use the internet for research and to even find about job openings, but I don't apply online any more. I research the manager and either email him/her (if I can find a personal email address) or snail mail him/her c/o the company. Surprisingly, I've had more luck with snail mail.

One of my favorite jobs was the result of my small town newspaper. They had placed a small ad in the paper--not online, no website.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavno View Post
Well,

I'm at a point where I am about to just give up on this whole internet job hunting nonesense. It seems like there are no jobs at all for someone fresh out of college.

All the so called "entry level" postings require a **** load of job experience for minimum wage. I mean it's laughable what they expect you to have and bring to the table for a measly ten bucks an hour.

I also find it a complete waste of time to fill out a hundred applications during the week and maybe get one of them to reply.

Has anyone had success just picking up the phone book, finding a section of business areas that interest you (ie. banking) and just calling random companies to find out if they are hiring and faxing them your resume?

To me, that seems like it would be a more effective approach than answering 100 questions for every online application and never hearing back from those losers.
We used to 'hit the pavement' when we wanted a job...went door-to-door and spoke directly to 'the person in charge of hiring'...and usually didn't leave w/out a job. It's still probably a good bet. If you have companies you would really like to work with then walk in and hand them your resume' and ask if they are available for an interview...good luck.
Koale

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
You haven't given enough details to help much.

I know personally, that I get a ton of calls from Farmer's Insurance recruiters and Edward Jones. Why do I say this because both of them have a high turnover rate, but what's important for you is I have been told both of them pay a base salary for approx. 6 months and then wean you off to commission only. 6 months of pay that would most likely be above 4k a month isn't bad for someone with no experience.

I have no interest because I have 14 years of solid work experience and frankly can do better, but if I were just starting out and struggling I would look into them.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You haven't given enough details to help much.

I know personally, that I get a ton of calls from Farmer's Insurance recruiters and Edward Jones. Why do I say this because both of them have a high turnover rate, but what's important for you is I have been told both of them pay a base salary for approx. 6 months and then wean you off to commission only. 6 months of pay that would most likely be above 4k a month isn't bad for someone with no experience.

I have no interest because I have 14 years of solid work experience and frankly can do better, but if I were just starting out and struggling I would look into them.
To be fair, finding sales jobs is a much different experience then finding most other jobs.

This is because, in many cases, if you don't make a sales then you don't earn a income, and thus these jobs tend to have trouble keeping/finding people and will hire just about anyone.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
To be fair, finding sales jobs is a much different experience then finding most other jobs.

This is because, in many cases, if you don't make a sales then you don't earn a income, and thus these jobs tend to have trouble keeping/finding people and will hire just about anyone.
That's my point, why not take one of these two jobs and take the pay for 6 months while keeping your eyes open.

And truly the good sales job, like the ones I have been interviewing at this week, will not hire someone just because they have a pulse. All of them require 3-10 years of experience in that direct industry or related industry. On top of that they want to see proof of awards you have won, etc. These are sales job in high tech that pay 40-60k base with the realistic potential of making 100k first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search