Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,515 times

Advertisements

I felt compelled to do this because I wanted to get some feedback from City-Data posters on what they think about my resume. I am looking for constructive feedback/advice on what works and what I can do to improve my resume.

I have removed my name, address, and the name of my university (along with some information that could potentially identify me) but the rest of the information is included.

Thank you for your help!

Address/contact info in the header

EDUCATION
University of XXXXXXX, XX XXXXX College of Business, Houston, TX
Bachelor of Business Administration in Supply Chain Management & Finance May 2013
Certificates: Strategic Sourcing and Global Energy Management, May 2013
Supply Chain Management GPA: 3.43, Finance GPA: 3.53, Cumulative GPA: 3.507

RELATED COURSEWORK / ACADEMIC PROJECTS
Investment Management, Spreadsheet Modeling, Strategic Sourcing & Spend Analysis

Moderator cut: Company Name A Summer 2012
• Achieved $13.8 million in savings by aggregating demand and consolidating suppliers
• Conducted market research and analyzed current and future trends in the Moderator cut: relevant industry
• Analyzed and normalized Moderator cut: industry spend data in order to identify savings’ opportunities

Moderator cut: Company Name B Spring 2012
• Analyzed financial statements in an effort to identify opportunities for growth
• Examined opportunities for streamlining activities in order to meet product distribution needs
• Used various statistical methodologies to forecast demand in order to ensure availability of products
EXPERIENCE
Front Desk Associate
University of XXXXXXX, XXX, Houston, TX March 2012 – Present
• Perform the tasks of drafting and typing reports and routine correspondence
• Assist with the completion of front desk projects as determined by RCC staff
• Maintained all front desk logs including equipment checkouts, account password resets
• Provided courteous, professional assistance to students and employers by telephone and in person

Assistant Clerk
XXXXX XXX Grocery Store, Houston, TX June 2008 – Present
• Educated employees on using check cashing machine in order to prevent fraud
• Performed data entry into Moderator cut: proprietary program to later be analyzed to improve sales and increase profit
• Prepared up-to-date records of money order transactions in excess of $10,000 in order to comply with Moderator cut: banking industry compliance standards

Sales Associate
Moderator cut: Company Name C , XXXXXXXXX, TX May 2011 – March 2012
• Handled cash, credit, and gift card transactions up to $2,500 + a shift
• Established and maintained plan-o-grams in accordance with merchandise display standards
• Identified low stock levels and accounted for inventory discrepancies using Moderator cut: appropriate software
• Supported the store’s loss prevention program and utilized resources to advise management of unusual activities in an effort to prevent theft

ADDITIONAL
Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook 2010
Conversational in Hindi and Urdu

HONORS AND AWARDS
Dean’s List: Spring 2012, Fall 2011, and Fall 2010
Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow (Scouting Honor Society)

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 04-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: redacted personally identifiable data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Moderator cut: snip

Pick a skill you developed from each job and create a Skills summary section and put it under the education section at top of the resume. Two skills I see you gained were customer service and analytical skills so pick two more skills and explain in the skills section what you did to develop those skills.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 04-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: removed quoted post to eliminate personally identifiable data

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Pick a skill you developed from each job and create a Skills summary section and put it under the education section at top of the resume. Two skills I see you gained were customer service and analytical skills so pick two more skills and explain in the skills section what you did to develop those skills.
So should I basically remove what I did at my job(s) and replace the descriptions with skills that I learned (e.g. analytical skills, SAP software, business/spreadsheet modeling, etc.)?

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
You should provide more details for both projects. At Link, you identified opportunities for growth, but you did not mention the results or specific details.

Do you have references from the college projects? If references are requested, you should be able to provide a list. Do not include them on the resume. You want to burden your references with too many phone calls. Ask any potential references for their permission, first. You may also want to create a Linkedin account. You should connect to your references to build out your initial professional network. You may want to join the same Linkedin industry groups. Recruiters will farm those groups for job applicants.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
So should I basically remove what I did at my job(s) and replace the descriptions with skills that I learned (e.g. analytical skills, SAP software, business/spreadsheet modeling, etc.)?

Thanks for your feedback!

No just create a separate section titled Skills summary and place it under the Education section. And then under the Skills Summary section everything else will stay the same.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
EmagineNET Technologies is hiring. Please let me know if your interested or call the office phone at 281-265-2245. Saw that you have used both our CStorePro and Check Cashing Software.

Regards

Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No just create a separate section titled Skills summary and place it under the Education section. And then under the Skills Summary section everything else will stay the same.
His resume can only be one page long, so it doesn't make sense to do that.

Honestly, go to your university's career center and speak with them. You are bound to get advice on here that may even hurt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search